First ever build. need suggestions/idiot proofing

This is the build I'm looking at getting. I'm getting monitors with my friend's BB discount so that's covered. Will all these components work together and do what I want them to? I plan on running VS2010, Eclipse, at least 1 VM, play HD movies, do some audio recording, and do some video-editting(as a hobby). Will this work? Did I forget anything?

Processor - i7-2600K Sandybridge 314.99

Motherboard - MSI P67A-G45 (B3) 119.99
Memory - 2x Ripjaws Series 4GB 1600 (8Gb total) 69.98
Cooling- Noctua NH-D14 89.99
Storage- 64Gb Crucial M4 ssd (SATA III) 116.49
1TB (7200) Samsung Spinpoint F3 59.99
Optical- ASUS 24X DVD Burner 19.99
Power Supply- CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W 119.99
Case - HAF 932 Black Steel ATX 149.99
Graphics- 1GB 192bit ZT-50402-10L GeForce GTX 550 134.99


TOTAL 1196.39

These are all newegg prices. I haven't looked around yet but I might get some parts from amazon if it's cheaper.
11 answers Last reply
More about first build suggestions idiot proofing
  1. memory and motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.689147

    cooling- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185168&Tpk=scythe%20mugen%203 you cant really justify spending 90$ on a cooler unless you are going 5ghz

    ssd- good choice

    hdd- good choice

    psu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

    case- the haf series dont have fan filters so it get pretty dusty inside. check out this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087

    you can now afford a better gpu which is always nice. for hd movies you want a radeon card it gives a way better picture than geforce cards- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521 dont forget the promo code for 10$ off
  2. are you using the SSD for a scratch drive or for OS?

    You could do a lot better on the case, cut that price in half with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

    or go even lower. You can get a solid case, no PSU for even 40 bucks. APEX ones seem to be solid for price/performance.

    I'd check out the deals for the day, 7/22. I remember seeing a 128 Solid SSD for around 170, if you're looking for more.

    Unless you're planning on OCing you need not buy the K version of that processor and the heatsink.
  3. internetlad said:
    are you using the SSD for a scratch drive or for OS?

    You could do a lot better on the case, cut that price in half with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

    or go even lower. You can get a solid case, no PSU for even 40 bucks. APEX ones seem to be solid for price/performance.

    I'd check out the deals for the day, 7/22. I remember seeing a 128 Solid SSD for around 170, if you're looking for more.

    Unless you're planning on OCing you need not buy the K version of that processor and the heatsink.



    I'm planning on using the ssd for the OS for sure.
    As far as the case goes, I wanted one with decent ventilation obviously but I also wanted more USB ports on the front. Not really necessary but would be a nice to have. Now that I think about it, probably not worth the extra $100.
    And yes, I do want to be able to OC so I can do an obnoxious amount of things at once(multiple instances of VS open, PowerDirector, etc.) should I want to. Thank's for the suggestions. I'll definitely check out the daily deals.
  4. mjmjpfaff said:
    memory and motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.689147

    cooling- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185168&Tpk=scythe%20mugen%203 you cant really justify spending 90$ on a cooler unless you are going 5ghz

    ssd- good choice

    hdd- good choice

    psu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

    case- the haf series dont have fan filters so it get pretty dusty inside. check out this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087

    you can now afford a better gpu which is always nice. for hd movies you want a radeon card it gives a way better picture than geforce cards- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521 dont forget the promo code for 10$ off


    Better motherboard and the same memory for $70 cheaper? That's why I posted this before buying. Thank you! Also, thank's for all the other tips as well. I might not go with that case, but all your other suggestions are probably going to be the way I go.
  5. mjmjpfaff said:
    memory and motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.689147

    cooling- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185168&Tpk=scythe%20mugen%203 you cant really justify spending 90$ on a cooler unless you are going 5ghz

    ssd- good choice

    hdd- good choice

    psu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

    case- the haf series dont have fan filters so it get pretty dusty inside. check out this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087

    you can now afford a better gpu which is always nice. for hd movies you want a radeon card it gives a way better picture than geforce cards- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521 dont forget the promo code for 10$ off


    Case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129098

    If I go with that will I be disappointed? The main thing I am worried about is whether it will fit the scythe heat pipe that you suggested.
  6. here is a case that is usually priced at 70$ it has much better airflow than the 100 and is the same price before mail in rebates- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235027&Tpk=zalman%20z9%20plus this will fit the cpu cooler
  7. that one is a mid case, double check and see if you're using a Full ATX board because that won't fit in a Mid ATX case.

    Edit; nope. it will fit, i'm wrong.
  8. internetlad said:
    that one is a mid case, double check and see if you're using a Full ATX board because that won't fit in a Mid ATX case.

    the motherboard will fit. only a few really high end boards wont fit and that board isnt really high end
  9. MSI ewww dont go there

    stick with ASUS or Gigabyte
  10. apache_lives said:
    MSI ewww dont go there

    stick with ASUS or Gigabyte

    Yea I was going to do this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.689147&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=vwt32lo14546

    But it went off sale like an hour after the nice guy above suggested it :(
    Do they normally put combo deals back up?
  11. not normally, and MSI isn't THAT bad of a choice.

    I'd prefer them to Gigabyte TBH.

    least it isn't foxconn.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product