earv19

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
I have an unlocked Phenom II 560 x2 with all four cores unlocked running so far with no problem. And also have an ASUS M4N75TD mobo with 8pin connection capability, right now I only have 4pins out of the 8 plugged in and I was wondering with the upcoming cpu demanding BF3 should I go ahead and use the 8? Will that cause damage, should I have been using that all along or am I g2g.

-Side note I can't risk another mobo or cpu this rig has already cost me a ridiculous amount off of DOA's and etc. $800 has become >$1000

Solution
You are certainly not good to go.
In the first place they have given you a 8 Pin connector onboard, irrelevant of whether you are using the current from them or not, you really need to use all those pins since you will have absolutely no idea as to what plug takes current to which parts. When you supply any electrical component with less or excess of current you are bound to see a wear and tear in the equipment. I'd suggest using all 8 pins first.
Yes, the game is going to be heavy on the CPU, you might as well see you it that it is fully powered on or you might just end up with a blown capacitor.

Note to Samuelspark.......
He's not asking about his Temps..... read before you give advice. A totally unrelated answer to the question the...
You are certainly not good to go.
In the first place they have given you a 8 Pin connector onboard, irrelevant of whether you are using the current from them or not, you really need to use all those pins since you will have absolutely no idea as to what plug takes current to which parts. When you supply any electrical component with less or excess of current you are bound to see a wear and tear in the equipment. I'd suggest using all 8 pins first.
Yes, the game is going to be heavy on the CPU, you might as well see you it that it is fully powered on or you might just end up with a blown capacitor.

Note to Samuelspark.......
He's not asking about his Temps..... read before you give advice. A totally unrelated answer to the question the OP poses.

Solution

earv19

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

Yeah, I'll go ahead and plug in the second four pin. I just wasn't sure if I should or not based on the fact that ASUS put a plastic removable cap over it.

earv19

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

I have a 1055T cooler on top of it. Not necessarily the best but if can cool a stock 6 core, I would hope it could cool a unlocked 4.

TRENDING THREADS