Sign in with
Your question

Pc shuts down during gameplay

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 16, 2011 11:52:49 AM

Hi
I have a major problem, my Nvidia 9800 gt broke down 3 moths ago and luckily for me i had 10 days left in the warranty so i was able to exchange it for 9800 gtx/ gtx+. Ever since i bought it i have been having trouble playing some games as i get a black scree during gameplay and i have to switch off the pc, wait for a few minutes and turn it back on. Even though i used to play them with my old graphics card.

Games like pro evolution soccer and fifa manager run fine without any trouble at all (I can play them at 1080p at the highest settings). Other games like just cause 2, crysis 2 and C&C 4 fail to do so. I tried lowering the resolution for crysis from 1080p to 720p and also at the lowest settings. I was then able to run the game fine and i could play for maybe 3 hours without any problems. After a couple of days, the problem started again and i cant even play 10 minutes without the pc shutting down.

I used speedfan to check temperatures. The ideal for the GPU is 57- 60 C and while i m playing the game is 70-75 C. as for the CPU, ideal is 37C while during playing it is around 55 C. I dont think that these temperatures are high at all so i dont know where the problem is. I checked the min power supply needed and it said 450w. I checked my PSU and its output is 450W. So if anyone can help me here plz, i would be grateful forever.

Here are my Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP43
CPU; Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHZ
RAM: kingston 4GB DDR 2
GPU: Nvidia XFX 9800 GTX/ 9800 GTX+ 512MB DDR 3 running Driver version 270.61
PSU: HEC-450TP-2WX
Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate

More about : shuts gameplay

May 16, 2011 1:18:41 PM

Not enough amps on the 12v rail resulting in a underpowered gfx card. You should change your psu quickly otherwise you'll damage your gfx card if your not too late already.
m
l
May 16, 2011 1:26:52 PM

can you please explain to me what do you mean?
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2011 1:50:30 PM

http://skinflint.co.uk/a336296.html

This is your psu it has a total of 19amps on your 12volt rail (it's the one powering your graphics card).
After some fast searching your graphics card needs about 24 amps.
In normal use (webserving and other small tasks) your graphics card is not using that much power and can do with only 19amps but with graphics intensive things like gaming it requires more power and thus more amps, amps your psu can't give and thus the pc shuts down. This is done to prevent damage, however by then it might be too late.
You need a better power supply and you should be good to go.
Thats my advice atleast
m
l
May 16, 2011 2:19:30 PM

Mrsh4dy said:
http://skinflint.co.uk/a336296.html

This is your psu it has a total of 19amps on your 12volt rail (it's the one powering your graphics card).
After some fast searching your graphics card needs about 24 amps.
In normal use (webserving and other small tasks) your graphics card is not using that much power and can do with only 19amps but with graphics intensive things like gaming it requires more power and thus more amps, amps your psu can't give and thus the pc shuts down. This is done to prevent damage, however by then it might be too late.
You need a better power supply and you should be good to go.
Thats my advice atleast

thanx so much man. One thing more, how do i know if any damage was done and also is it safe to run games like fifa manager and pes until i get a new psu or not?
m
l
May 16, 2011 2:36:12 PM

With my own card (similair problem) whenever it was under stress it showed yellow and blue blocks on the screen and I had some problems with certain games (no/black textures and stuff). Obviously this is more noticable with a new psu since underpowered the graphics card shuts off.
I would advice against using your pc for anything more other then ordering a new psu.
There is a chance your graphics card has not had any permanent damage, thus would be better not too push your luck.

Anyway glad I could help. Also when buying a new psu only buy those of a good and well known brand (xfx, corsair, antec etc) since they offer the best performance and excellent warranty. Don't forget your psu is essential to your pc and going cheap with it is only going too cost you more in the long run.
m
l
May 16, 2011 2:54:44 PM

I have been having similar issues with my system crashing during gameplay, otherwise running fine. I went through all of the forums, upgraded cards, power supplies, everything, yet still had the same issues. There's more to it than just uprading your power supply. My issues were with ATI cards.

This is what fixed mine:
Upgrade your Motherboard bios to the latest version.
Upgrade your power supply as others have mentioned.
Find a slipstreamed version of Windows 7 Ultimate w/Service Pack 1
Do a scratch install, recreating partitions and formatting drive. (make sure you do all of your backups first)
Install all of the latest Microsoft Updates, especially one of the latest that resolves USB issues.
If possible, let microsoft install all of the drivers. Do not use latest MFG drivers unless Microsoft doesn't have one for it.
Once all installed and running, all updates applied, re-install games.
At this point all of my games are running without freezes or crashes.
If wanting to update to newer drivers, make sure that they are certified with Windows 7 WHQL requirements, but if everything is working the way it should no need to update drivers.

I am having some scaling issues at 1080P and posted a message looking for a solution without having to install the ATI CCC Software.

Other than that I'm very pleased that I was able to fix mine.

magicalkobra said:
Hi
I have a major problem, my Nvidia 9800 gt broke down 3 moths ago and luckily for me i had 10 days left in the warranty so i was able to exchange it for 9800 gtx/ gtx+. Ever since i bought it i have been having trouble playing some games as i get a black scree during gameplay and i have to switch off the pc, wait for a few minutes and turn it back on. Even though i used to play them with my old graphics card.

Games like pro evolution soccer and fifa manager run fine without any trouble at all (I can play them at 1080p at the highest settings). Other games like just cause 2, crysis 2 and C&C 4 fail to do so. I tried lowering the resolution for crysis from 1080p to 720p and also at the lowest settings. I was then able to run the game fine and i could play for maybe 3 hours without any problems. After a couple of days, the problem started again and i cant even play 10 minutes without the pc shutting down.

I used speedfan to check temperatures. The ideal for the GPU is 57- 60 C and while i m playing the game is 70-75 C. as for the CPU, ideal is 37C while during playing it is around 55 C. I dont think that these temperatures are high at all so i dont know where the problem is. I checked the min power supply needed and it said 450w. I checked my PSU and its output is 450W. So if anyone can help me here plz, i would be grateful forever.

Here are my Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP43
CPU; Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHZ
RAM: kingston 4GB DDR 2
GPU: Nvidia XFX 9800 GTX/ 9800 GTX+ 512MB DDR 3 running Driver version 270.61
PSU: HEC-450TP-2WX
Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate

m
l
May 16, 2011 4:29:32 PM

thanks so much guys for the advice
m