I have an Acer H243H monitor. I have a KVM switch between my:
P4 3Ghz 1GB ram, geforce 6200 256MB AGP running Win XP sp3. Max resolution: 1920x1080...great!
Q6600 2.4Ghz 4GB ram, geforce 9600 512mb pci ex, running Win 7 Ult. Max resolution: 1600x1200...'sup?
When I eliminate the KVM switch, the resolutions are still the same. I purchased Driver Detective, all drivers are up to date.
Acer tells me need to reinstall the drivers, of course I did this 4 or 5 times on each PC. They don't respond to my requests anymore.
( I only sent them 4 emails on this subject)
The monitor shows up as generic non-pnp monitor on both pcs.
I have tried the DVI direct on both, same results
I posted on another help site, but never got any replies.
Did you reboot when you swapped the KVM out and the cables or just move the cables over? Try removing the monitor from Device Manager, reboot with no KVM and see if you get the proper setup.
Yeah, I even totally removed the drivers, removed KVM, and booted.
I also uninstalled the latest nVidia drivers and Unistalled DX 10.
Win 7 found the graphics card, and monitor.
I tried delaying the graphics drivers first, to install the Acer-monitor drivers first, but no luck.
Is their a Microsoft Monitor driver that might be "forced" to work?
Seems there is a problem with the EDID EPROM chip in that monitor so that it reports the max resolution capability as 1650x1080 by mistake --- Here is an article that describes the problem and a method to work around it (though the writer of the article decided it was more convenient to return the monitor and get a different one which might be the better solution if it is new !)
YOu can find the needed drivers HERE - just be sure to check the show all drivers checkbox to find your model ---- click on Monitor - H series - click on show all models and then select H243H or H243HX deopending on which you have. download and install the .inf file and then windows should list your monitor correctly and allow you to use 1920x1080.
After 5 more emails to ACER, I got nowhere, and since my shop has a many parts I can replace and troubleshoot with, I was 2 steps ahead of them.
Still no answer.
I downloaded Rivo Tuner and discovered that the monitor was sending info of only a max res of 1600x1200 in Win 7.
So...I went into my geforce 9600 adapter settings and changed my listed modes there.(it also was defaulted to 1600x1200)
When I change to 1920x1080: High color settings,and saved it, the option in Win 7 resolution became available to change to the higher setting.
It's been at this setting now for 36 hours, and no problems so far.
I'm fairly new to Win7, when I tried something like this in XP, the display was not reliable.