Computer Freezing While Playing Games

Hi guys, my computer lately has been freezing continuously while playing games. When it freezes, all sound cuts out and I can't move my mouse or anything. I have a feeling it may be an issue with my graphics card, since I just replaced about every other part in my computer (Motherboard, processor, memory, PSU, and case. However, when I was playing a game and the computer froze, I put my hand on the back of my graphics GPU and it did not feel overheated. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 LE B3 Revision
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit
CPU Cooler: Intel Stock
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770
Power Supply: Corsair TX750
Primary Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB HDD
Secondary Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB HDD
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
Other Parts: D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Network Card

Games involved in crashes:

Age of Conan: Unleashed
Combat Arms
9 answers Last reply
More about computer freezing playing games
  1. Frisbee_68 said:
    Hi guys, my computer lately has been freezing continuously while playing games. When it freezes, all sound cuts out and I can't move my mouse or anything. I have a feeling it may be an issue with my graphics card, since I just replaced about every other part in my computer (Motherboard, processor, memory, PSU, and case. However, when I was playing a game and the computer froze, I put my hand on the back of my graphics GPU and it did not feel overheated. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67 LE B3 Revision
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit
    CPU Cooler: Intel Stock
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770
    Power Supply: Corsair TX750
    Primary Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB HDD
    Secondary Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB HDD
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
    Other Parts: D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Network Card

Games involved in crashes:

Age of Conan: Unleashed
    Combat Arms

underclock u r graphics card!!!!!!....it solved my problem!!!!!!........even i had the same problem n fixed it by underclocking the graphics card
  2. I'll try that out and see if it fixes my problem. Thanks for the reply :)
  3. Start by making sure all your temperatures are within safe ranges. GPU-Z can log a file that you can read after gaming so you can check gpu as well as the card's vrm temperature. Also try realtemp to rule out cpu over heating, it has a log file option as well.

Is this a new issue or has it been doing this since you built it? I'll be willing to bet it's how your ram is setup.
  4. It is a continuing issue that happened on my old setup as well. This is why I suspect my graphics card since it is one of the only 2 pieces of my computer I didnt replace
  5. New power supply or the same one from the last build? Did you bring any hard drives over from the last build or are they new as well?
  6. Did you build a new windows system when you moved or did you move your old windows system over intact? If this is a software problem and you kept the same windows system disk that would fit the symptoms.
  7. I did a full format after replacing the parts.
  8. also, underclocking did not help
  9. Cygnus x-1 said:
    New power supply or the same one from the last build? Did you bring any hard drives over from the last build or are they new as well?

I got a new power supply (corsair TX750), however I kept the same WD 500GB HDD from my old build. I also used a 1TB HDD from another computer in my new build, and am using completely as virtual memory (950GB pagefile.sys).
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Games Systems