Computer turns on, shuts off after one second

dangerousangel

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I turned my computer off last night, and this morning when I tried to power up, the system turned on and shut off about one second later. Lights and fans came on in that time. I took out all the RAM and the computer turned on and stayed on, gave the missing ram beep codes. All fans and lights turned on as well. Thinking that the sticks were the culprit, I went out and purchased two new ones (dual stick config) but once I put them in, I got the same power-on/power-off-almost-immediately-issue. What can I do to fix this issue? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

peteku

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
you can try resetting CMOS by removing battery fo a while and see if that helps

had a similar problem recently (LEDs would blink for a split second,fans start to spin),thought it was psu initially but turned out to be the graphics card fried...yet it might be something different in your case

otherwise i recommend to follow the beepcodes

dangerousangel

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

How do I update the bios? Sorry, I'm computer illiterate.

I have an older computer package from dell, the thing is about six years old. I tried looking up my service number on the dell website to see the components but it's not very helpful. I'll copy paste what I know is still there.

PROCESSOR..., PENTIUM D PRESLER..., 930, 3.0G, 2X2M, C1
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 1G, 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8

what else should I include? i have newer sound and video cards, and i think the psu is 750w.

dangerousangel

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
and what i mean is, i can't get past the immediate shut down to actually boot up the system when i do have memory in the slots, whether it's the new or the old. and if i don't have memory installed the computer will power up but it will give the me 1-3-2 beep codes but nothing shows up on the monitor.

jemm

Distinguished
Here is the deal. First use just one memory stick at time, mean, place just one ram stick, then try to start up it. If it doesn´t work, then just place the same ram stick in a different ram slot in your motherboard. if it doesn´t work, then try the same procedure with another ram stick, and so on and forth.