Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD Athlon x2 250 Regor vs AMD Phenom x6 1090T

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 20, 2011 11:54:00 AM

Simple question would it be worth upgrading from the Athlon x2 250 3.0 to the phenom x6 1090t 3.2 for gaming?

The phenom x6 is only at around $150 right now so really considering buying it, have had the Athlon 250 for a long time now.

Thanks.
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 11:58:25 AM

get the AMD Phenom II X4 960T
CPU can unlocked into a six-core CPU
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 12:02:27 PM

DONT! A Phenom x4 955 at 3.8 GHz will do better than any six core in gaming. As NO games use 6 cores.
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 12:15:14 PM

I have the Phenom X6 1055T - I would say that it depends on what you do with the machine. If you just game, the X4 965 BE overclocked is really the better choice. Virtually no games use more than 4 cores. Heck, most games really only use 1-2. So the X4 BE would get you more ghz (than either the athlon or the x6) and more cache (than your current chip) and be better for gaming than the X6 or the Athlon by a lot.

If you multitask a lot though or do other processing (video transcoding mainly), then 6 cores is the way to go. I do a lot of VM work and video transcoding, so I wouldn't trade my 6 cores for anything less.
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 12:20:35 PM

I'm not so concerned about the comparisson between the x6 1090T and the x4 965 black or anything like that, all I'm wondering is it worth getting EITHER of them changing from the x2 250.

As in is the switch from this dual core 3.0 to a 4 or 6 core worth it right now? Thanks.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 12:22:27 PM

Depends what you wanna do with it
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 12:24:27 PM

gnomio said:
Depends what you wanna do with it


Play games (mainly Starcraft 2, maybe battlefield 3, mw3) Also streaming video, and video rendering.

Some more info on my computer.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

ATi Radeon HD 5770

4GB Gskill DDR3 1600Mhz

1.5 TB Western Digital cavier

Corsair 650W PSU.

Currently AMD Athlon x2 250 Regor

Do you think my current processor is holding my system back at all?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 12:27:08 PM

then the 6 core will have some benefit to you.
I would still go for the 960 and unlock it its 125 bucks
Share
a c 891 à CPUs
a c 291 4 Gaming
a c 356 À AMD
October 20, 2011 12:29:57 PM

ragetg said:
I'm not so concerned about the comparisson between the x6 1090T and the x4 965 black or anything like that, all I'm wondering is it worth getting EITHER of them changing from the x2 250.

As in is the switch from this dual core 3.0 to a 4 or 6 core worth it right now? Thanks.

Yes it is worth it! Either way X4 or X6!
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 12:31:02 PM

gnomio said:
then the 6 core will have some benefit to you.
I would still go for the 960 and unlock it its 125 bucks


Ok thanks, again not so concerned about the 6 core was just naming one of the CPUs i was looking at.

Really just looking to upgrade my x2 250 as it seems to be really out of date, BF3 specifies recommended at least a quad core.
m
0
l
a c 891 à CPUs
a c 291 4 Gaming
a c 356 À AMD
October 20, 2011 12:32:33 PM

ragetg said:
Ok thanks, again not so concerned about the 6 core was just naming one of the CPUs i was looking at.

Really just looking to upgrade my x2 250 as it seems to be really out of date, BF3 specifies recommended at least a quad core.

Therefore a good upgrade.
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 12:33:34 PM

Best answer selected by ragetg.
m
0
l
!