AMD Phenom II 955 core activity

Whenever I am gaming, out of the 4 cores, core 1 always seems to run at 100% while core 2,3,4 varies. Why is this the case? Could it be the fact core 1 is running windows 7 + background systems along with the game making it go 100%?
6 answers Last reply
More about phenom core activity
  1. What game were you playing WoW?
  2. meat_loaf said:
    Whenever I am gaming, out of the 4 cores, core 1 always seems to run at 100% while core 2,3,4 varies. Why is this the case? Could it be the fact core 1 is running windows 7 + background systems along with the game making it go 100%?

Forgot to add that I am also monitoring my CPUs using CPUID, TMONITOR and PCwizard. There seems to be inconsistencies between them and I dont know which one to trust. Because while I am using Firefox TMONITOR just clocks all 4 processors running at 800mhz while CPUID and PCwizard fluctuates between 800-2100mhz.
  3. gnomio said:
    What game were you playing WoW?

World of Tanks. It really doesn't matter what games because core 1 is always running more active than the others.
  4. It's not unusual with multi-core CPUs for one core to run @ 100% and the other cores at less than 100% under load. How the threads are sorted impacts the load each core sees. That's one of the claimed benefits on Win 8, it will have a better prefetch for multi-core CPUs.
  5. depends how the game is threaded. A game like wow can use 3 but it does that exact same thing you mentioned. Some games will keep using the 1 core until you assign the core affinity to them
  6. gnomio said:
    depends how the game is threaded. A game like wow can use 3 but it does that exact same thing you mentioned. Some games will keep using the 1 core until you assign the core affinity to them

how do you assign core affinity?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core AMD Phenom