slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, I've got a bunch of misc. PCs including a laptop all laying around. And I don't have any network cards in any of them. I do however have a modem in them all.

Does anyone know of a method of transferring data between computers using modems and a phone line directly linking the two? (Instead of having a second phone line installed so that I can have one dial the other. And instead of finding a serial cable and the software to transfer files that way. And instead of installing network cards into the computers.)

- Anything can be fixed with duct tape, a swiss army knife, and WD-40. :)

G

I looked into that a few years back, didn't find such a beast.

It has something to do with having a telephone switch in between the two modems. Modem protocals address the phone #'s which actuate switches at the centeral/local telephone offices.

I'm sure a good programmer could write software to link 2 modems or even network them.
I have messured the voltage of a telephone ring and it uses line voltage - 115-120VAC low current of course but don't touch those wires when it rings. FYI

Good luck

Take Care.
If money was no object, how could you spend it!

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Symantic has PCAnywhere that allows you to connect two computers through a phone line and share data.
Win98 has Direct Cable connection which allows you to connect two computers together using a serial cable but they would have to be next to each other.
Win9x will connect to WinNT(2K) through a modem dial up connection.
You can install direct cable connection or dial up connection using Windows Setup in Add/Remove Programs located in the Control panel.

James

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, but don't all of those options either involve two phone lines or a serial cable? (Which I already stated I was trying to avoid.)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have been told it can be done. You need to use hyper terminal on both pc'c. It comes with windows 95/98.
To install it go to control panel --> add/remove programs --> click windows setup tab --> double click comunication --> check hyper terminal.

You will need your windows 95/98 cd to install or windows cab files on your pc. After you get it installed connect the two pc together with a phonecord.

Then go to start--> Programs --> accessories --> comunication. There you will see hyper terminal. After that your on your own because I never did this but been told it does work.

Jeff

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jeffg007 on 11/29/00 09:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>