Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
My computer spec is

CPU: intel core i7-2600k 3.4 ghz
motherboard: Asus P8P67 intel P67 s1155
RAM: kingston 4gb kvr1333 ddr3 x 2 = 8GB
graphic card: ATI HD6850 1GB DDR5 256 bit
PSU: C/master 700w silent pro

I'm architecture student, this is the spec of CPU I bought 1 month ago.
few days ago, I was using 3Ds Max Design 2012- 64 bit to render my project into a video, 100 frames(2 seconds video) spent me 8 hours.

I have 8Gb ram but it can only run till 3.2gb.

btw, I'm using window 7 professional 64-bit

what shall I do to make the RAM run faster? 3GB RAM is too slow for me to finish my project.

please help me.

Thank you! :D :D

Solution
Yeah, your computer should blow through that in much less time...

There is no way to tell your computer to physically use more RAM. It automatically allocates as much as the program needs. So it is going to be a setting inside of 3DS Max. Also, RAM isn't really going to affect the render time *that* much. Maybe a slight difference, but for what you are doing that is going to be mostly CPU intensive.

If you start a render, and look at your performance tab of the task manager. What do the CPU graphs do? How many of them jump?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Are you 100% sure your Operating System is 64-bit?

This is usually exactly what would happen if you were running 32-bit Windows (only 3GB RAM recognised).

------

There's likely to be a setting within 3Ds Max Design 2012 where you can allocate it to use more or less RAM/resources.

EDIT: Ignore what I first wrote, cant see the screenshot due to being on a work machine :(

Your computer is recognizing 8GB or RAM.... and (when that screencap was taken) is currently using 5.3GB. I have no idea where you are getting the 3.2GB number from.....

Your problem lies more in the program.

What quality were you rendering at? How large is your project? What textures are you using?

gini236

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

yea. I'm sure it is 64-bit. do you mean the 3ds max can allocate the different scratch disc by ourselves just like the photoshop setting?

my computer can recognize 8gb (computer->properties) I can see 8GB RAM from the computer properties.
http://brandonlive.com/2010/02/21/measuring-memory-usage-in-windows-7/

from this website, if the information is correct, the formula will be
Total – Available = Physical memory in use (including modified cache pages)
sorry if I made the mistake.

my friend is using 8GB RAM dell laptop, but she renders her project within an hour and I need 8 hour by using a desktop. I thought desktop can perform better than laptop. ermmm.... this screen shot is taken when I open one program only (chrome). actually, I just render in 30 quality, I think I have to wait few days if I pick 100 quality. my project is quite small, texture is normal colour texture with some maps(bump and retracing) and no lighting. I think to upgrade the RAM to 16GB, so that my desktop can perform faster. does it work if I upgrade it?

thank you for your answer. it's my first time to buy a mix-and-match cpu. I have tried to find the answer in google, but found no way to solve my problem.

-------------

Sorry, just now I tried to render the file again, and now it can run till 4.10GB. got any alternative to make the RAM run higher?

any setting or have to add-on new RAM?

Yeah, your computer should blow through that in much less time...

There is no way to tell your computer to physically use more RAM. It automatically allocates as much as the program needs. So it is going to be a setting inside of 3DS Max. Also, RAM isn't really going to affect the render time *that* much. Maybe a slight difference, but for what you are doing that is going to be mostly CPU intensive.

If you start a render, and look at your performance tab of the task manager. What do the CPU graphs do? How many of them jump?

Solution
Everybody, STOP.

Is the application compiled as 64-bit? If not, REGARDLESS OF THE OS, the Application is limited to 4GB of Virtual Address Space, counting code, DLL libaries, the [substantial] Win32 API, etc. So even if the OS is 64-bit, if the application is compiled as a 32-bit EXE, you are still bound by Win32 Addressing Limitations.

[And yes, I'm assuming the application is complied as LARGEADDRESSAWARE, otherwise the old 2GB limitation is still in effect, even on Win64]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts