New GFX card won't post...

munny

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hi Guys!

I've had good luck here in the past so Im hoping to get some help again. Here's myy story:

I recently bought an XFX Radeon 6990 from Provantage, got the card and installed it in my system, and No dice. I get Fans powering up on it but does not go to post screen. I Feel like I have it fully seated in the PCI slot, both 8pin power connecters are attached I just can't figure it out. I RMA'd the card to XFX and they came back telling me it fully tested ok for them. Now as I wait for it in the mail to return to me Im trying to diagnose what may keep it from working for me.

Like I said I feel like it was fully seated.
Both power connecters are attached.
I tried booting with out any usbs plugged up
the system boots just fine with my gfx cards that i am replaceing (2 x 9800gt's )
system boots just fine with a single 9800 gt

rest of system components are -
AMD phenom 9950
Asus M3N72-D mobo just updated to latest bios
tagen 1100w Power supply
8 gigs of ram (4 x 2gig sticks)
single HD
single dvd rom
Windows vista 64 bit

any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Edit/Delete Message

Solution

Mobos can and do pass away from time to time. Glad you now have a working system. Have fun!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hard reset your BIOS (pull battery from mobo with all power sources disconnected, including monitors, powered speakers and power cord, press power button to discharge residual power, then remove battery. Wait 30 seconds then reverse order). While powered down, install the 6990 into the primary PCI-E x16 slot (closest to the CPU) and try to boot again.

Do you see any indicator on your monitor that it detects the new GPU at all?

munny

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I tried everything, finally replacing my MOBO with a new Intel and upping to a i5 and DDR3 ram. system booted up just fine with the new card, not sure what componet it diddnt like but I suspect the MOBO was the culprit.

Thread solved

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Mobos can and do pass away from time to time. Glad you now have a working system. Have fun!

Solution