Sign in with
Your question

Desktop power up and shuts off quickly

Last response: in Components
October 20, 2011 4:30:58 PM

Have a homebuilt desktop with a Gigabit Motherboard. HD is a Seagate Barracuda 700-7, 200MB.

Yesterday, it ran great, all day. Today went to turn it on and it immediately shuts off....tried this several times and each time it did the same.

I keep a spare WD hard with same operationing system install. Disconnected Seagate and install WD. Desktop has been shut down several times and each time it powers up just fine. It's a WD 80MB.

I have heard there are many problems with just about all Seagate HD......Any ideas on what may be going on? I first thought my motherboard had gone out, but, all is working great with the WD Hard Drive.

Thanks,

Lee

PS: I disconnected the WD and connected the Seagate and have the same problem.
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 20, 2011 4:33:20 PM

Try the Seagate as a slave, it may be that its dying/dead but you might just be able to rescue any vauable data before it pops
Moto
m
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
October 20, 2011 4:35:21 PM

Hook up both and run Seatools and test the problem drive.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seat...
HDD's fail over time both your drives appear to be rather old.
A new 500gb drive is under $50 these days for sata anyways.
Sounds like yours might be IDE idk.
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2011 2:06:31 AM

Hey Guys...thanks for all the suggestion.

After much trouble shooting I finally installed a new power supply. No more boot problems on my existing HDD or any of the others I have as well. I thought the power supply was OK, because I could disconnect my HDD and I could boot into my BIOS without any problems. Finally installed new power supply and no booting problems in several days.

Thanks again.....
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 27, 2011 8:18:31 AM

Great to hear that man, glad it wasn't as bad as we may have thought :) 
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2011 1:48:00 PM

I wouldn't feel bad saying 50% of the time if your computer has any sort of problems starting and it has worked fine in the past that it is probably a PSU problem.

I would probably even be more aggressive than that, 2/3 or 3/4 likely instead.
m
l
!