Sign in with
Your question

$1500 Gaming, Movies, Internet Build (Aus)

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2011 3:40:38 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: In August (Probably second or third week)

Budget Range: $1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet, Movies...

Parts Not Required: OS, Monitor (Possibly)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: MSY.com.au

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Gigabyte Mobo, CoolerMaster Case.

Overclocking: Probably

SLI or Crossfire: Probably

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: This is my first build. Have about $1500 to put towards it (can go slightly higher, but would rather keep it to $1500. I am hoping to be able to use my TV screen as a monitor. It's a 37" Panasonic Viera TH-L37V10A (100Hz) with a HDMI input to it.

My current build looks like:

Few things I'm not sure on:
PSU: Overkill for what I need? Better options?
Case: Asked in the Case section and the HAF 912 Advanced seemed to be the best option.
GPU: MSI a good brand? Overkill having 2 6950s? Better off spending elsewhere?
Mobo: In that price range, which is the best option?
Need extra Fans? Thermal paste worth using?

If the TV isn't going to be an option, what Monitor size/resolution/price would be advisable, and where do I go cheaper to clear out the money for it?

Cheers
July 23, 2011 4:17:40 AM

psu: get the 750w version of that psu it is all you need
case: can you post a link to the case it looks expensive for what it is
gpu: again i am going to have to see the other options available to you so a link to the website would be nice
mobo: good choice
your tv screen will work fine. most gamers use monitors for there fast response time. for 2 6950's 1gb a 24" 2ms response monitor is fine. asus makes good monitors. if you had the 6950 2gb version i would say go for 2-3 screens (smaller sized. 21" maybe. for the lower price) because the extra memory will actually be used

for your mouse and keyboard get them wired. a simple 10$ keyboard is fine but you should spend a little extra on the mouse. go for the logitech mx 518 it is a good mouse for the money
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2011 5:35:43 AM

Ok, I read somewhere PowerColor is a bit dodgy. But if you think it will be ok, then no dramas.
Might look into that PSU or other 750W if that will be sufficient.
That case seems to have some good features. 4 fans, plenty of drive bays (including dedicated SSD bay which willl be handy), easily cleanable fans... Not a huge fan of the looks and doesn't have that great reviews on Newegg, but I'll definitely consider it.
Cheers mate.
m
l
July 23, 2011 6:24:39 AM

Hendo8888 said:
Ok, I read somewhere PowerColor is a bit dodgy. But if you think it will be ok, then no dramas.
Might look into that PSU or other 750W if that will be sufficient.
That case seems to have some good features. 4 fans, plenty of drive bays (including dedicated SSD bay which willl be handy), easily cleanable fans... Not a huge fan of the looks and doesn't have that great reviews on Newegg, but I'll definitely consider it.
Cheers mate.

all brands have there problems. ive had none with powerColor. 750w is more than enough and that is a great psu
most neweggs reviewers dont know what they are talking about
m
l
July 23, 2011 2:54:47 PM

What are the Raidmax cases like? (Raptor or Smilodon)
They are considerably cheaper in EBay.
3 days to go, but there's no bids. Raptor is $70, Smilodon is $100.
m
l
!