Solved

Newer radeon drivers cause bsods

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Drivers
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 16, 2011 7:11:57 PM

My computer blue screens whenever i have the radeon drivers above 9.12. It used to run fine on 11.3 but it just started to crash on them and after a clean install of windows 7 i had no crashes but as soon as i installed the latest drivers it crashed. After a lot of of annoying testing i found the last driver that works is the 9.12 ones.

The blue screen errors seem to change with which driver is installed. With and 11.x driver its a hardware failure of some sort stop 0124 or something like that. One that happened with the 10.12 driver it pointed to my cpu. There was one occasion where i had a start up beep error message that indicated a fault with the graphics card. Also while the 11.5 drivers were installed it would sometimes result in a bunch of lines on windows start up and then no display.

I have tried everything i can think of to fix it beyond trying other components which i have a lack of. The windows 7 help forum guy seems to be 100% sure its hardware but the computer works fine as long as i don't install the current radeon divers in windows. The current linux versions of the drivers work fine as well. Sadly it seems i need more current drivers for minecraft to run well that and some other programs but minecraft is the important one.

CPU-Core i7 920/stock cooler not oced
Mobo-Gateway TBGM01
Video Card-Radeon 4850 1gb/no oc
HD-Seagate speccy has the serial as 9QK1WMVP
Ram-Gskill ripjaws 10666
PSU-Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Case-Antec 300 Illusion
Windows 7 ultimate 64

GPU was stress tested using OCCT for the 1 hour it defaults
CPU was stress tested using Prime 95 for 6 hours on each test
Ram was tested for awhile using Mem Test 86+
I never seem to have any trouble in games that will start up. Metro runs just as good as it did prior to the problem.

More about : newer radeon drivers bsods

a b \ Driver
May 16, 2011 7:53:05 PM

Have you tried completely uninstalling the previous drivers and then re-installing the current drivers? If not, I suggest you download Driver Sweeper and use it to completely remove all ATI/AMD video drivers and then reboot the system. Then install the current drivers to see if that helps.
m
l
May 16, 2011 7:58:12 PM

Yeah I tried that a few times and it just keeps crashing when i have the current drivers.
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
May 16, 2011 8:03:24 PM

Is your Win 7 Ult x64 install fully up to date, including SP1?
m
l
May 16, 2011 8:49:49 PM

Unless windows update is holding out on me it should be up to date
m
l
a b \ Driver
May 16, 2011 10:37:27 PM

Are you running a stock BIOS or one of the custom "unlock" versions on your Gateway mobo?
m
l
May 16, 2011 10:46:07 PM

No i have the last bios update they made available i have one of the unlocked downloaded on the off chance i decide i want to try it but never installed it
m
l
a b \ Driver
May 16, 2011 11:53:52 PM

hydris said:
No i have the last bios update they made available i have one of the unlocked downloaded on the off chance i decide i want to try it but never installed it

Good, sorting through a custom BIOS can be a pain (if not impossible). Try this link to completely uninstall your ATI/AMD drivers:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveO...

Next (before you restart the system), make sure to download the current ATI drivers AND the most recent chipset drivers for your system from intel.com . Restart and install both. Do the chipset first (cancel the install of the video card), restart, then the video drivers, restart.
m
l
May 17, 2011 12:35:36 AM

ATI don’t normally make graphics cards but they make the graphics chips that go in the graphics card. Some manufacturers of graphics cards tweak the design of the card to give better features and performance that may make it incompatible with the generic ATI drivers. You should always try to download the drivers from the actual maker of your graphics card.
m
l
May 17, 2011 12:46:57 AM

The card was originally in a prebuilt system. Speccy list the vendor as Sapphire/PCPartner (174B) but I'm not really sure if any on the sapphire website are intended for this card and pcpartner doesn't seem to have any video card drivers
m
l
May 17, 2011 1:44:34 AM

It seems to be doing alright with the generic 11.5 ones at the moment so maybe uninstalling and getting a chipset update worked. If not I will try the 4850 1gb drivers they have on sapphires website
m
l
a b \ Driver
May 17, 2011 1:45:33 AM

pjmelect said:
Sapphire is the worst for modifying their cards so that they don’t work with the generic drivers. Have you tried here to get the drivers?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/downloads/down...

I have multiple Sapphire cards and none of them display what you are describing. I have not seen what you describe for many years.
m
l
May 17, 2011 2:23:28 AM

Alright seems i lied i crashed on the 11.5 drivers after uninstalling then updating. I'm gonna try the sapphire drivers.
m
l
May 17, 2011 2:28:42 AM

Quote:
I have multiple Sapphire cards and none of them display what you are describing. I have not seen what you describe for many years.

I am a bottom feeder I only have (due to poverty) access to older computer equipment. I find it interesting that you say that newer Sapphire cards don’t suffer from being incompatible with the generic drivers the older cards certainly do. Interestingly I have noted that even Sapphire sometimes simply post on their web site the latest drivers without modification even though they don’t work with their cards. Maybe they have learnt from past mistakes.
m
l
May 17, 2011 2:51:09 AM

Guess I might have to accept that something is wrong with the hardware even if it can work fine with older drivers the system just keeps rejecting the newer ones.
m
l
May 17, 2011 4:02:34 AM

I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the hardware, I have old Sapphire cards that will not work properly with any driver other than the original driver supplied on the CD with the card.
m
l
May 17, 2011 4:28:31 AM

It was working fine on the 11.3 driver for awhile then it just stopped one day. So i found one that works and just try out new ones as amd releases them.
m
l
a b \ Driver
May 17, 2011 11:32:15 AM

I, too, assume a driver/config issue. I have a HD4850 (1GB), a HD5850, several HD4650s, two HD5570s, and a HD6870, all Sapphire and all running "generic" ATI/AMD provided drivers (all at 11.4 to be exact). I had had zero issues with these GPUs and I can't recall using a Sapphire driver in the last 6 or 8 years.

Which PCI-E x16 slot (the one closest or farthest from the CPU) is your HD4850 installed in? Also, please verify that the 4 or 8-pin aux power connector (from the PSU to the mobo) is firmly attached. Same goes for the main 24-pin power connector.
m
l
May 17, 2011 5:07:34 PM

I tried both pci e slots neither worked so i put it back back in the on closet to the cpu and all the connectors are secure
m
l
a b \ Driver
May 17, 2011 5:19:53 PM

Do you have access to another video card that you could swap in for troubleshooting or another compatible system to try the 4850 in?

Also, what specific model number (usually a label on the back of the GPU) of HD4850 do you have?
m
l
May 17, 2011 7:15:00 PM

The model number should be 288-10e81-050ac.
I could probably get my friend to try it in his system just never tried since it doesn't always crash all that fast so he could be stuck with my card for 5 minutes or a day before it blue screens
m
l

Best solution

a b \ Driver
May 17, 2011 8:17:16 PM

I suspect that this generic HD4850 (used by lots of OEMs under several names it appears) is defective and that the older drivers seem to work because they don't use some feature that the newer drivers takes advantage of.

I suggest you contact Sapphire Tech support to see if they will send you the current firmware for this GPU to see if that helps solve the problem. Worth a shot and all they can say is "no". Otherwise, I suspect you will be in the market for a new video card soon.
May 17, 2011 8:20:38 PM

Alright thanks. I was thinking that might be the case but I wanted to see if anyone might know something else it could be before i threw in the towel.
m
l
May 17, 2011 8:20:48 PM

Best answer selected by hydris.
m
l
!