SLI with different cards

willow4500

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Ok I am new to the whole computer thing and am getting ready to do my first build and am interested in SLI as I am planing on using a triple screen setup. I have been given a little info on crossfire and understand that you can use cards from different manufactures as long as they are from the same series (eg. 5750 with a 5770) and when this is done the higher spec card is downgraded to match the lower spec cards perfomanse values. Now with SLI what are the pairing perameters for cards? Can you match 2 cards from different manufactures? and if one card has higher specs then the other what happens perfomance wise to the cards?

willow4500

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

willow4500

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
ok after some quick comparisons I think I understand
SEs have 288 processor cores vs 336 on other cards
and the the memory must match.

final question do they have to be the same same card 460 and 460 or is it possible to match 406-470 like cross fire?

One note about crossfire that is often mistaken. The cards operate at their normal clock speeds, even if they clocks don't match. I've watched GPU-Z while Crossfiring with two different clocks, and with 6950 and 6970 bios. They operate at their clocks regardless.

Since every other frame is rendered on each card, they just render their frame and they are displayed as soon as they can, there isn't any reason they have to sync up, although I imagine if the clocks speeds were ridiculously different which is probably only possible with MSI afterburner, then it might get problematic.