The old core i 7 920 versus sandybridge i5 2520m

ayaybebe

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Many thanks for your comments. Without multitasking and assuming I will use one program at a time and everything else was the same e.g memory size and hard disk capacity, is the sandy bridge i5 faster?

That depends on how well the software utilizes multi threading. Most video editing software like to use multiple cores/threads. I say that the I7 would still be faster in this particular application.

ayaybebe

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Dear all

Thanks for your responses.

I usually do my HD work on my home desktop(a Dell XPS running the old core i7 920 at 2.67GHZ with 6 GB of RAM). Recently I was provided with a Dell Latitude laptop running sandy bridge i5 2520m at 2.3GHZ with 3GB of RAM to use it to connect to my work VPN.

From my readings it appeared that the new SB processors are faster than the old ones and this is why I am wondering if the laptop was faster then I would use it for HD editing. So in terms of pure processing capability which is faster?

Seems like you have the perfect opportunity to test this. Simply do the same edits on each machine and time it. :D

While the SB may be "faster" overall, I still think that the extra cores(threads) of the I7 will outperform the SB in this particular application.

If you had 1000lbs of luggage to take from point A to point B(say 500 miles apart)and you had to choose between a Corvette & a Chevy Pickup, Which do you think would get the all the luggage there faster? :pt1cable: