Rampage IV CPU Power Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icecweam7

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Hello everybody,

I'm almost finished with my new build (my first build), however, I'm confused about what to connect to my new motherboard (Rampage IV Extreme) from my power supply unit (Cooler Master 1200W, 80 Plus Gold) for the CPU (Intel Core i7 3960X). I see a 4-pin and a 8-pin socket at the top of the motherboard, however the 8-pin socket came shipped with a removable plastic cover that is covering only half of the 8-pins.

My question is do I need to use both the 4-pin and 8-pin sockets to power my Intel 3960X CPU? Since the 8-pin socket has a plastic cover that's covering half of the 8-pin socket do I need to remove that and use the full 8-pins in conjunction with the 4-pin socket? Or just the 4-pin and 8-pin socket with the cover on? I didn't see any of this in the motherboard manual. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!

My System:

CPU: Intel i7 3960X Extreme
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws Z 8 Gigs 2400Mhz
GPU: EVGA GTX 690 Signature Edition
PSU: Cooler Master 1200W Silent Pro 80 Plus Gold
HS/F: Cooler Master TPC-812 2 Vertical Vapor Chambers/6 HS Pipes
Sound Card: Sound Blaster SFX
Case: ICTE Quad Fan Support
HDD: Hitachi 320 Gigs 7200 RPM's
Disc Drive: LG Super Multi DVD RW+
Monitor: Dell 24" Ultra Sharp Flat Panel

Icecweam7

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

Thanks for your suggestion mubin. I wanted to keep this message posted for a while before I awarded a badge and give other people a chance to respond, however I don't think many people are willing to pay the price for an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme mobo so many people may not have known the answer. Since you are the only one who did provide a reasonable response I think you deserve the badge to my post!

After viewing several different builds on Youtube I decided to play it safe and connect both the 4-pin and 8-pin sockets and my new build works fine. That half cover over the 8-pin socket can cause a lot of confusion. >.< I hope in the future other people can experience this kind of power this hardware can provide to games. It's like Christmas every week! Thank you to all of the people who viewed my post. Happy gaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.