Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Hi there,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I have a real problem with dust in my house, as I live in an old cob and thatch house.

I use compressed air regularly, but I find it doesn't always get inside all the little nooks and crannies. I really need something that can suck up dust somewhat like a hoover (though I realise that hoovers = bad for components.) Can anyone suggest anything like that that's actually decent?

I could also do with some sort of duster, but have refrained from buying anything for fear of static buildup due to friction with the fibres. However I'm sure there must be some specially formulated brush or duster that's been designed for dusting off PC components? If anyone can provide me a name/link to that, that'd be ideal.

I mean to get a HEPA air filter for my room to suck up dust and clean the air, but in the meantime I could do with these tools.

I'm buying from the UK, so UK websites would be ideal (www.scan.co.uk, www.overclockers.co.uk, Amazon UK) but even a name of a product would be really appreciated :)

Thanks for your help :)

-Nih

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
My case has dust filters on the intake fans (top and front) but it doesn't seem to prevent dust getting in. The case is solidly built (Bitfenix Colossus) but I bought a windowed side panel so that I could add extra fans, which obviously allows more dust in.

That's a great idea. However with regards to the tools I mentioned, are there any that you know of that are safe to use? :)

-Nih

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
For your computer case dryer sheets work wonders. Just cut them to the size you need and place them between the case and fan. I've also heard of people using panty hose, but you will need some sort of glue or adhesive for that.

Not sure if you can get them in UK, but I've had good luck using DemciFlex filters to keep dust out of PC's.

http://www.demcifilter.com/

It's basically a fine metallic sieve framed by a magnet. You attach them to all of your intake fan ports. When they get dusty just peel them off, knock off the dust or run water through the filter, then stick it back on. They make the filters an a wide variety of sizes and you can even get a quote for custom cut filters to fit your case.

BeeBahBoo

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Compressed air, in a tank, not a can.
I do that about once a year anymore and it works amazingly well.
So if you know anyone who has an air tank, or if you can get a cheap one...

First time I did this... I don't think I've ever seen so much dust at one time.
Probably seems a little extreme to dust a PC but, it works.

But for you, it seems to make more sense to do what a few other have said, get a special filter for your PC or room.