Intel Celeron D 3.33ghz OVERHEATING PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!

knightird

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Hey all. I have an Intel celeron D 3.33ghz, and my Bios is telling me that it runs at 62 degrees Celcius. That's on idle. I don't know what to do. I think tomorrow im going to try applying new thermal grease. Also, I took my cpu fan off of the cooler and replaced it because it was SOOOOOOOOO noisy. I replaced it with a 4 bin molex connector instead of one that hooks into the motherboard. Does that make a difference as well? Please help me. Im in desperate need of help.

Solution
Most likely, you have not mounted the cooler well.

A common mistake is to use too much paste. The purpose of the paste is to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces.. No more.
If you use too much, it acts like an insulator. It is hard to use too little. A small bb sized dollop in the center is all that is needed. It will spread by itself.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with it.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips. Do not try to reuse the paste. Clean the surfaces with denatured alcohol and a lint free coffee filter.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation...

When the computer is on is the CPU fan spinning? Also is the fan and heatsink stock or aftermarket and is the CPU overclocked? I would check the fan and then reapply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink. Make sure it's seated firmly in place and as straight as possible.

Most likely, you have not mounted the cooler well.

A common mistake is to use too much paste. The purpose of the paste is to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces.. No more.
If you use too much, it acts like an insulator. It is hard to use too little. A small bb sized dollop in the center is all that is needed. It will spread by itself.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with it.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips. Do not try to reuse the paste. Clean the surfaces with denatured alcohol and a lint free coffee filter.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the direction of the arrow,(counter clockwise) as far as they can go. Since you have removed the cooler, play with the pins so you understand how they work.
Place the cooler so that all 4 pins are oriented over the holes in the motherboard.
The trick to getting it on is to push down on a diagonal pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard must be out of the case to do the job.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins clockwise to unlock them. You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.

All motherboards I know of have a 3/4 pin cpu fan header. Use it. If the header is not populated, the motherboard will think you have no fan and severly downclock your cpu, and perfaps refuse to run.

Solution
Old Netburst CPUs run hot, though I'm guessing on that one the heatsink has some dirt and stuff on it. If there is space in the case I would replace it with a cheap, decent tower cooler like a Cooler Master TX3, though I'm guessing on this one you may have just replaced the fan. The reason it was so noisy was because the motherboard ramped up the speed to cool the chip.

knightird

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I put it on as straight as possible, I haven't overclocked it yet, it was a little dirty, and the thermal grease looked really worn out on the cpu. Should I try replacing the thermal grease?

knightird

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Also, the fan is running because I have the side of the case off because the inside of the case severely overheats when the side is on. I think im gonna replace it soon, because it's just the standard emachines that it came in...

Yes re-apply the thermal paste. Use 99 percent rubbing alcohol and coffee filters to clean off the old thermal paste and re-apply. Make sure you keep wiping until the coffee filters comes out clean. If you don't wipe all the old thermal compound off it can cause more heat problems.

knightird

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Also, I need a solution for a case that is good for cooling. I have two servers and they both overheat when their sides are on. I don't know how many times I got my fingers in a spinning fan on them two when the sides are off. It hurts really bad. I need to know a good pc case...

You want something lint free. Coffee filters have worked for me. If the towel has lint, find something else. A piece of lint left on the surface will be a major problem.

Exactly what cooler do you have?

If it is the stock intel cooler, it will have pushpins which might look like screws.
A picture would help if you don't know.

knightird

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
It's not an intel cooler. I don't know what kind it is, but I replaced it with a 4 pin molex connector, and they are screws. I had to unscrew them and rescrew them in to the motherboard.

EDIT: I replaced the fan with a four pin molex connector.

The Antec TWO HUNDRED is a good, cheap well cooled case. It has a washable intake filter. You can add front intake fans, but it is probably not necessary:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129074

You can use paper towels but you really shouldn't because they cause a lot of lint which could stick to the thermal paste and cause problems. It's best to use something that will cause no lint flakes like a non lint cloth or non lint coffee filters. How much do you want to spend on a case and what size tower do you want.