A couple of questions?

jamieb123

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Ive finished putting all the parts in my first computer. I think i've done all the wiring but i want to check a couple of things.
I thought my case had no fans, turns out it has two, now i have a spare one which i bought, should i install it as well anyway?
Also on the fans they have two connectors coming out (molex i think they are called). What do I with that? I just plugged one into a wire coming out of my PSU but now theres another not plugged in. Does it matter what I plug things it into? theres loads of those connections. do i just plug my fans into any one which fits.
Also ive ordered a Molex to Sata wire because it only had one sata power connection and i need 2 for DVD and HDD. When i have that wire, do i also just plug that into any of the wires it fits?

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
If your case has the capacity to hold the third case fan then go ahead, just make sure it doesn't inhibit the air flow going through the case.

Usually case fans should have a molex connector and a 2/3/4-pin connector. Connecting the molex connector from the fan to the PSU will enable it to run at 100% rpm all the time. The pin connectors allow the fan's speed to be adjusted by the motherboard since the fan would be connected to the motherboard.

molex-connector.gif

Connector_mb_fan_3pin.jpg

Since your case fan has two molex connectors, plugging in one will be enough and the second one can be left alone. You usually want to match connector types on the PSU with component connectors but it's hard to mistake molex connectors for something else.