New Build, Tight Budget AMD

has22fas

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Okay so my current rig being an intel and since i always buy intel.....im kind of getting sick of it...as i went from pentium, core 2 duo, quad, and now i7. Now i want something different this time like a secondary rig...which can play games decently. Such as GTA IV, Battlefield bad company 2, Dirt 3, for my brother. The series im looking into is the "Phenom II" these are the specs.

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2Ghz (Or Phenom II X4 955)
4GB G-Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 DDR3
Samsung Spinpoint 500GB F3
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO Motherboard
Corsair 650W

My Main Buld Specs:
Intel Core i7 870 2.93Ghz @ 3.5Ghz
4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz 9-9-9-24
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
Nvidia Geforce GTX560 TI EX OC
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5
OCZ StealthXstream 600W

Now i know very little of AMD........and there motherboards......i have already purchased that motherboard and i might have made a mistake is it bad? also would the phenom @ 3.6Ghz be able to keep up with the i7 in GTA IV? also im not sure on which graphics card i should purchase for it would a 560 TI Bottleneck? if i used the same graphics card on each system would they produce similar FPS?

Many thanks any suggestions are welcome

rvilkman

Distinguished
Go with the Phenom x4 955 BE, it's a great CPU for the price.
2x2GB ripjaws kit as you described is ok.
Probably should go with the F3 1TB drive, as it's really not that expensive.
Can't really go wrong with a 650W corsair for PSU.

The motherboard could be better, but it will be ok to run a single graphics card. It should support your CPU and uses DDR3.
The 560TI won't get bottle necked by the CPU, but it would probably run ~10% higher frame rates on your intel system than on the Phenom II, depending on resolution.
So your system would be producing a little bit higher FPS.