Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bios flash gone bad? or bad cpu.

Last response: in Components
October 21, 2011 12:24:50 AM

Hello all,

I recently bought a super micro h8dme-2 board with memory,2x opteron 2218 and heatsinks off of ebay and then later on bought an opteron 2419. I had the cpu shipped to a different address and didn't have access to said address for a few weeks. When I finally got my hands on the cpu, I installed it and to my surprise nothing showed up on screen. That isn't the problem, I realized the I needed to flash my bios. So I created a bootable dos thumb drive and and flashed the bios. At this point I was using one opteron 2218, and I got through the bios and loaded windows correctly with the new bios. So I deemed the flashing a success. i swapped out the 2218 for the 2419 and booted it up, quickly looked through the bios to see if it was being recognized and attempted to boot up windows. The system froze right when windows was loading. I did a hard shut-off as pressing restart and the power switch did nothing, and went into the bios and watched the hardware monitor for any discrepancies. Everything thing was within bounds and while watching the hw-monitor, the bios froze.

It seems that the freezing occurs after a certain amount of time in or out of the bios. The 2218 works flawlessly. Did my flashing fail in some way? Is the cpu bad? Or is my board just being a prick about it. The psu was powering a dual opteron 280 system with an hd4870 before, so I didn't consider the psu (and that it worked with the 2218). I have one 2gb stick of hynix ddr2-5300 ecc installed out of 2 and removed everything except the keyboard.

Any help would be great, thanks.
-Max

More about : bios flash bad bad cpu

Best solution

a c 791 à CPUs
October 21, 2011 1:15:24 AM

Since it works with the 2218 we can say that the flash was successful! Can be a bad CPU.
October 21, 2011 1:29:50 AM

rolli59 said:
Since it works with the 2218 we can say that the flash was successful! Can be a bad CPU.

Well I'm glad that the flash was successful. So can I safely assume that if I buy another 2419, that it will not result in the same problem? I'm kinda skeptical as this would be the first bad cpu I've encountered ever.(not caused by oc'ing :p  )
Related resources
a c 791 à CPUs
October 21, 2011 1:33:42 AM

It really looks that way since the board supports the CPU and works with another CPU.
October 21, 2011 1:41:21 AM

rolli59 said:
It really looks that way since the board supports the CPU and works with another CPU.

Bummer, well thanks for the quick response, I'll go ahead and buy a replacement.
!