Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 With a Bad CPU? Look Inside!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2011 12:38:30 AM

If I have a GTX 460, but have a bad processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz), is there a point in getting such a powerful GPU? Does the CPU limit the GPU's power since the CPU is not powerful? Am I just going to waste my money if I'm going to buy a GTX 460 with a bad CPU?

Also, what If I buy a 9800 GT? Will that card's power be limited aswell? Thank you

More about : gtx 460 bad cpu inside

a c 172 U Graphics card
a c 86 à CPUs
May 17, 2011 12:45:02 AM

yes, yes and yes. anything more than a gt240 will be a waste on that setup unless your playing at 1080p res in which case i could not reccommend less than a gtx460. the problem is your cpu does not meed the requirements for many recent games and the performance of games will be limited by your cpu. You should see if your motherboard supports newer phenom or athlon II processors. You would be best off to upgrade that and gpu at the same time. also list your other specs such as RAM and PSU make and model.
m
l
May 17, 2011 12:56:05 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
yes, yes and yes. anything more than a gt240 will be a waste on that setup unless your playing at 1080p res in which case i could not reccommend less than a gtx460. the problem is your cpu does not meed the requirements for many recent games and the performance of games will be limited by your cpu. You should see if your motherboard supports newer phenom or athlon II processors. You would be best off to upgrade that and gpu at the same time. also list your other specs such as RAM and PSU make and model.

My motherboard is a MCP61PM-GM

3GB Ram.

I don't think it can support Phenom or any "good" processors.. /cry :sweat: 
m
l
!