ASUS Xonar DG Question

itsbighead

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Hi Community,

I recently got a Xbox 360 and want to play it on my 19inch computer monitor. For video i am using a DVI to HDMI cable. I want the sound from the Xbox 360 to come through the computer speakers. My computer has a ASUS Xonar DG sound card. plugged into the expansion port

Is it possible if were to plug the TOSLINK from the Xbox 360 into the Sound Card and a 3.5mm jack from the sound card into the computer monitor, will sound come out of the monitor speakers?

Thanks

Solution
1: You can't connect TOSLINK from the 360 to the DG, as it doesn't have the necessary input port; you'd have to convert to analog first, which is probably more trouble then its worth.

2: 3.5mm TRS to RCA works in all cases that I know of; they transmit the same analog audio signal. Only difference internally is that TRS is stereo and RCA is mono.

3: TOSLINK is the physical transmission cable, SPDIF is the interchange format.
Not without going through some hoops.

The DG does NOT have a SPDIF input jack, only a shared mic/line-input port. So you would need to do either a Digital to analog conversion, or [if the 360 gives you the ability to do this] an RCA to 3.5mm TRS conversion.

itsbighead

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
what hoops will occur? So it wont work if i connect a TOSLINK from the 360 to the sound card and a 3.5mm jack from the card to the monitor? does the 3.5mm to RCA work with all devices eg Blueray Players, PS3 etc etc or do some work and some dont? and whats the difference between TOSLINK and SPDIF?

1: You can't connect TOSLINK from the 360 to the DG, as it doesn't have the necessary input port; you'd have to convert to analog first, which is probably more trouble then its worth.

2: 3.5mm TRS to RCA works in all cases that I know of; they transmit the same analog audio signal. Only difference internally is that TRS is stereo and RCA is mono.

3: TOSLINK is the physical transmission cable, SPDIF is the interchange format.

Solution