Solved

Radeon HD 6850 VS GeForce GTX 560?

Radeon HD 6850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353

GeForce GTX 560 Ti
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565

The difference is almost $100 (the geforce being more expensive).

However, according to:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Their benchmarks are:
GeForce GTX 560 Ti: 2,947
Radeon HD 6850: 2,835

Which is not even that much of a difference. Should I save some money and go with the 6850? Or is there something I don't know about which explains the price difference? Thanks!
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon 6850 geforce
  1. "Their benchmarks are:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti: 2,947
    Radeon HD 6850: 2,835 " <- this is bullshit. go by the anandtech benchmarks as posted above. the 560ti is significantly faster but also costs more.
  2. Best answer
    The MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr is factory overclocked so it is significantly faster than the reference model shown in those benchmark comparisons. The 6850 benchmarks were also famously pumped up at the expense of image quality in what some refer to as a benchmarking "cheat". So in the real world, the MSI GTX 560 benchmark should be higher, and the 6850 benchmark should be lower than what was shown in that link.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/exploring-ati-image-quality-optimizations/
  3. Quote:
    what is your complete system config? whats the monitor resolution?


    I'm planning to build a new computer and I'm not quite sure yet. I'm probably playing on 1650x1080.

    Quote:
    talking of benchmarks, heres another drom anandtech, probably more reputable as well:

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=330

    i'd say that 560ti is quite better.


    Thanks a LOT for that website. It seems to be extremely helpful.

    and thanks for the info everyone. So what you're saying is that the geforce would be well worth the extra money?
  4. Okay, I've decided to drop the 560 (Since I wont be needing much power?). But now I'm stuck between:

    Radeon HD 6850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353

    GeForce GTX 470
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133341&cm_re=gtx_470-_-14-133-341-_-Product

    According to this:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=311
    The 470 is significantly better for $30 more.

    However, the specific gpus on those newegg links, the 6850 seems to have better specs (But I'm not an expert on these things as you can tell).

    Which one would be best for me? Thanks.

    (also why did they slash $70 off of the 470? something wrong? I also noticed that the 470 has a low core clock. Is that bad? What is the difference between opengl 3.2 and 4.1?)
  5. the 470 is much better, but requires a good 550w+ PSU. you can get away with a good 400w PSU with the 6850. What is your power supply make and model.
  6. toiletninja said:
    Okay, I've decided to drop the 560 (Since I wont be needing much power?). But now I'm stuck between:

    Radeon HD 6850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353

    GeForce GTX 470
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133341&cm_re=gtx_470-_-14-133-341-_-Product

    According to this:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=311
    The 470 is significantly better for $30 more.

    However, the specific gpus on those newegg links, the 6850 seems to have better specs (But I'm not an expert on these things as you can tell).

    Which one would be best for me? Thanks.

    (also why did they slash $70 off of the 470? something wrong? I also noticed that the 470 has a low core clock. Is that bad? What is the difference between opengl 3.2 and 4.1?)

    That GTX 470 is cheaper because it is a recertified model, i.e. used.

    You need to figure out your budget, then get the card that fits. If you can afford the GTX 560, then it will definitely be worth it. If not, aim for something cheaper but also at a lower performance point.

    A chart showing relative performance proves that, even for your resolution, the GTX 560 will deliver significantly more performance. As the chart below shows, 30% more on average. If you play demanding games, or are looking to get some of the new releases this year, you will be glad you went with the higher performing card.


    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_560_Twin_Frozr_II/
  7. iam2thecrowe said:
    the 470 is much better, but requires a good 550w+ PSU. you can get away with a good 400w PSU with the 6850. What is your power supply make and model.


    I'm planning to get a 600W. (looking to build)

    So there is a significant difference between the 400 and 500 series? (470<560?) Does the 500 have some new features or something?
  8. 600w what make and model? if you havnt decided yet go for seasonic or antec. buy a cheap, no-name psu and it will fail, particularly with the gtx470 as its a very power hungry vid card.
  9. psu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

    toiletninja said:
    So there is a significant difference between the 400 and 500 series? (470<560?) Does the 500 have some new features or something?
  10. The 470 draws a lot of power. In fact the 400 series is notorious for the power draw and heat.

    Either way, both cards will more than suit you at that resolution.
  11. pelov said:
    The 470 draws a lot of power. In fact the 400 series is notorious for the power draw and heat.

    Either way, both cards will more than suit you at that resolution.


    If power consumption is the only difference, then it looks like I will go with the 470. Thanks so much everyone.
  12. that psu will be fine for the 470 or even a 480.
  13. Best answer selected by toiletninja.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Geforce HD Radeon Graphics Product