Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard broken, other parts broken aswell?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 16, 2012 1:56:42 PM

So last wednesday my PC just turned it self off. I thought I may have been that I had pushed the reset button accidentally since it's close to my leg.

Then after a period of time I tried to reboot, but when I did it. A small puff of light came near the rear fan. I turned the PC off.

I can see this

Link: http://aijaa.com/0055910537489

There's no visible damage to other parts, I tried to turn it once after that and everything runs normally (fans etc run fine), but after a short period of time it just shuts itself.

Is there a chance that other parts are broken?

I am going to buy new parts on Friday so it's kind of urgent that I get a response since I'm going to use my old graphics card (AMD 6870 HAWK & Corsair VX550W PSU).
July 16, 2012 1:59:19 PM

Curious_G said:
So last wednesday my PC just turned it self off. I thought I may have been that I had pushed the reset button accidentally since it's close to my leg.

Then after a period of time I tried to reboot, but when I did it. A small puff of light came near the rear fan. I turned the PC off.

I can see this http://aijaa.com/0055910537489

Link: http://aijaa.com/0055910537489

There's no visible damage to other parts, I tried to turn it once after that and everything runs normally (fans etc run fine), but after a short period of time it just shuts itself.

Is there a chance that other parts are broken?

I am going to buy new parts on Friday so it's kind of urgent that I get a response since I'm going to use my old graphics card (AMD 6870 HAWK & Corsair VX550W PSU).

There are no other visual signs on the mobo itself. Everything starts out normal if you try to boot (tried twice on Wednesday and unplugged and wrapped GFX card and PSU in static bag) fans and everything run fine, GFX has all the red lights burning and CPU fan works fine, but it just shuts itself after like 20 s.
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 2:38:00 PM

I would say you should be OK with the rest of your parts. My only concern would be what the real cause was. If it was just a bad mainboard you should be good to go but if the PSU was the cause of a overload you could kill the new mainboard to. From the reviews you have a good PSU but that does not mean it could not go bad. Just my thoughts.
Related resources
July 16, 2012 2:44:53 PM

It's no problem to purchase a new PSU, but do you have any ideas how to test, if the PSU is broken? Other than voltmeter.

Since it has served me well and it's only 1,5 years old. The board on the other hand is over 4 years old.
July 16, 2012 3:41:54 PM

Okay I tested the PSU with the paperclip test, and it worked fine.

Sorry to make this a thread, but could my GFX card be broken from this motherboard issue?

It's a HAWK edition which shows voltage lights under it as it should, and the fans spinned fine aswell when on the reboot try.

Nothing seems to be wrong with it, but could there be a problem with it?
a c 431 V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 3:56:28 PM

you ps may still be under warranty to rma it. i would go to the vendor web page put in the serial number and see if it still under warranty. if it is i would put one in. with the video card it should be fine but other then putting it into another pc you cant tell if it fine or if it die in a week or in years. you need an o-scope and a load tester to see if your ps is fine under load.
July 16, 2012 5:53:24 PM

Can't really get my hands on such equipment, but since the PSU should work fine, the GPU should aswell? Since the problem occured from such a distance from both GPU and PSU.

I got 3 days to test them, but have none that has +450 W PSU to support the GPU to test if it works so I have to just rely on the fact that it works.
!