Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Use laptop as server?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 16, 2005 2:28:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I may be going back to college this fall to get a
degree in computers.

One of the things I want to do at home is setup a test
lab. A small network of computers I can play around on,
set things up on. To learn things on.

I'm cramped on space tho.

Can I use nothing but laptops for this? Use a laptop
as a server and is on all the time?

More about : laptop server

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2005 4:25:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net writes:
> Can I use nothing but laptops for this? Use a laptop
> as a server and is on all the time?

Yes.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2005 6:49:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:

> I may be going back to college this fall to get a
> degree in computers.
>
> One of the things I want to do at home is setup a test
> lab. A small network of computers I can play around on,
> set things up on. To learn things on.
>
> I'm cramped on space tho.
>
> Can I use nothing but laptops for this? Use a laptop
> as a server and is on all the time?

If you can afford 200 bucks plus the cost of some more RAM, then get vmware.
You can set up a remarkably complex network on a single machine that way.
I've had a network with Linux, Netware, and Windows servers and a couple of
workstations all up at the same time on the same box. Doesn't get you
hardware expertise but it's a very convenient way to learn the software.

If you're tight on space a Mac Mini as someone else suggested is one option,
a Mini-ITX machine or several would be another, if you can find a good deal
on a blade server with a few blades on ebay that would be a third.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2005 8:21:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 16 Jul 2005 in comp.sys.laptops, wrote:

> I may be going back to college this fall to get a
> degree in computers.
>
> One of the things I want to do at home is setup a test
> lab. A small network of computers I can play around on,
> set things up on. To learn things on.
>
> I'm cramped on space tho.
>
> Can I use nothing but laptops for this? Use a laptop
> as a server and is on all the time?

Yeah, but how about a Mac Mini? US$500, doesn't take up more space than
a CD drive, and its underlying OS is BSD. Run it headless. As Far As I
know, Mac OS X comes standard with Apache, PHP, MySQL; if there's
anything else you want by way of server stuff, you can probably find it.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
July 16, 2005 8:21:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>Yeah, but how about a Mac Mini? US$500, doesn't take up more space than
>a CD drive, and its underlying OS is BSD. Run it headless. As Far As I
>know, Mac OS X comes standard with Apache, PHP, MySQL; if there's
>anything else you want by way of server stuff, you can probably find it.

Hmmm..... not bad idea

But I would want to setup windows based system. No?
July 16, 2005 9:11:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
: >Yeah, but how about a Mac Mini? US$500, doesn't take up more space than
: >a CD drive, and its underlying OS is BSD. Run it headless. As Far As I
: >know, Mac OS X comes standard with Apache, PHP, MySQL; if there's
: >anything else you want by way of server stuff, you can probably find it.

: Hmmm..... not bad idea

: But I would want to setup windows based system. No?

There are small PCs out there too. I built one a few years ago for my
Mom that was about the size of a telephone book.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2005 10:08:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 16 Jul 2005 in comp.sys.laptops, wrote:

>>Yeah, but how about a Mac Mini? US$500, doesn't take up more space
>>than a CD drive, and its underlying OS is BSD. Run it headless. As
>>Far As I know, Mac OS X comes standard with Apache, PHP, MySQL; if
>>there's anything else you want by way of server stuff, you can
>>probably find it.
>
> Hmmm..... not bad idea
>
> But I would want to setup windows based system. No?

Why? If you're looking to use it as a server, (IMHO) you're better off
with a *nix-based system.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2005 1:54:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
>Can I use nothing but laptops for this? Use a laptop
>as a server and is on all the time?

Yes, though the performance may not be what you might expect, and the
reliability of a laptop run 24x7 will not be as high as a desktop, but
it'll work.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 12:11:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
>>Yeah, but how about a Mac Mini? US$500, doesn't take up more space than
>>a CD drive, and its underlying OS is BSD. Run it headless. As Far As I
>>know, Mac OS X comes standard with Apache, PHP, MySQL; if there's
>>anything else you want by way of server stuff, you can probably find it.
>
>
> Hmmm..... not bad idea
>
> But I would want to setup windows based system. No?

Windows is the last thing you should be using. Linux has fantastic
firewall, routing, and quality of service features. Look up LARTC
(linux advanced routing and traffic control) on the web. (This is
assuming you're looking for something that will allow you explore lots
of possibilities, not quickly toss up something "good enough" without
really knowing what's going on.)

I thought somebody's VMWare suggestion, below, was excellent.
Unfortunately their pricing is more targeted at business, but it would
still be cheaper than buying extra computers.

However, if you want something to actually run as a server full time
(for instance, my brother posts his class notes) you'll need actual
hardware. I think a laptop would be the best choice in a small space,
but you will need a second NIC, either PCMCIA or USB. The other
problem, whatever you buy, is how to keep it from getting stolen.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 3:12:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

<me@privacy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:p p9id1l2a7nj8hmvb0c18eng1rh6k3dr60@4ax.com...
> I may be going back to college this fall to get a
> degree in computers.
>
> One of the things I want to do at home is setup a test
> lab. A small network of computers I can play around on,
> set things up on. To learn things on.
>
> I'm cramped on space tho.
>
> Can I use nothing but laptops for this? Use a laptop
> as a server and is on all the time?

Why not?

Notebooks have far better processors,
desktops and servers are damned to use
the fail constuction P4 and other hot energy wasters.

Place the notebook, that a good air flow is where the
harddisk is built in.

Let the screen be open, to avoid higher temperatures.


--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 6:20:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

timeOday wrote:

> me@privacy.net wrote:
>>>Yeah, but how about a Mac Mini? US$500, doesn't take up more space than
>>>a CD drive, and its underlying OS is BSD. Run it headless. As Far As I
>>>know, Mac OS X comes standard with Apache, PHP, MySQL; if there's
>>>anything else you want by way of server stuff, you can probably find it.
>>
>>
>> Hmmm..... not bad idea
>>
>> But I would want to setup windows based system. No?
>
> Windows is the last thing you should be using. Linux has fantastic
> firewall, routing, and quality of service features. Look up LARTC
> (linux advanced routing and traffic control) on the web. (This is
> assuming you're looking for something that will allow you explore lots
> of possibilities, not quickly toss up something "good enough" without
> really knowing what's going on.)
>
> I thought somebody's VMWare suggestion, below, was excellent.
> Unfortunately their pricing is more targeted at business, but it would
> still be cheaper than buying extra computers.
>
> However, if you want something to actually run as a server full time
> (for instance, my brother posts his class notes) you'll need actual
> hardware. I think a laptop would be the best choice in a small space,
> but you will need a second NIC, either PCMCIA or USB. The other
> problem, whatever you buy, is how to keep it from getting stolen.

Please note that vmWare has academic pricing--don't know how attractive it
is but it will be less than the full $189. They also have a developer
package that includes both the Windows and Linux version of Workstation as
well as the servers for $300.

You can also get Microsoft VirtualPC 2004 for about $110--it's not as smooth
or efficient as vmware, but if you have enough machine it _does_ work.
That's included in the Action Pack which gets you Microsoft's servers and a
bunch of other stuff for 300 bucks.


--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
July 18, 2005 12:25:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>I thought somebody's VMWare suggestion, below, was excellent.
>Unfortunately their pricing is more targeted at business, but it would
>still be cheaper than buying extra computers.

yeah the VMWare idea is a good one

But would it let me simulate a small computer lab
accurately in all aspects?

Suppose I take a class in.... on I don't know.... Ms
Small Business Server config....something like that.
Can I run it on one of the virtual servers in VMWare no
problem?
July 18, 2005 12:30:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>Please note that vmWare has academic pricing--don't know how attractive it
>is but it will be less than the full $189. They also have a developer
>package that includes both the Windows and Linux version of Workstation as
>well as the servers for $300.

I will have to look into the VMWare

That might be a better solution than a bunch of small
PCs or laptop setting around. Yes?
July 18, 2005 12:32:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>If you can afford 200 bucks plus the cost of some more RAM, then get vmware.
>You can set up a remarkably complex network on a single machine that way.
>I've had a network with Linux, Netware, and Windows servers and a couple of
>workstations all up at the same time on the same box. Doesn't get you
>hardware expertise but it's a very convenient way to learn the software.

Sounds good

Like I said... I will be starting classes into business
and IT this fall. At a late age of 47 years old even!

So....I'm juts trying to think ahead abt what I will
need. The logistics of downsizing and focusing my life
in on a few things
July 18, 2005 12:33:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>> Can I use nothing but laptops for this? Use a laptop
>> as a server and is on all the time?
>
>Why not?
>
>Notebooks have far better processors,
>desktops and servers are damned to use
>the fail constuction P4 and other hot energy wasters.

Why don't they build desktops that use energy efficient
CPUs like the laptops have now days?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 1:38:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
>Suppose I take a class in.... on I don't know.... Ms
>Small Business Server config....something like that.

No reputable college is going to be giving classes that specific.
talk to IT Technical Institute for that kind of thing.
July 18, 2005 2:12:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>me@privacy.net wrote:
>>Suppose I take a class in.... on I don't know.... Ms
>>Small Business Server config....something like that.
>
>No reputable college is going to be giving classes that specific.
>talk to IT Technical Institute for that kind of thing.

OK... that was a bad example on my part

I don't know what they might teach

But I'm wanting to be proactive abt a test lab BEFORE I
need it.

Bottom line.. sounds like VMWare would let me setup a
virtual test lab and muck around with all kinds of
things computer and network related, right?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 2:52:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>I thought somebody's VMWare suggestion, below, was excellent.
>>Unfortunately their pricing is more targeted at business, but it would
>>still be cheaper than buying extra computers.
>
> yeah the VMWare idea is a good one
>
> But would it let me simulate a small computer lab
> accurately in all aspects?
>
> Suppose I take a class in.... on I don't know.... Ms
> Small Business Server config....something like that.
> Can I run it on one of the virtual servers in VMWare no
> problem?

Long as you have enough processor power and free RAM, Small Business Server
runs fine under vmWare. The only x86 OS I know of that doesn't run is
OS/2. The latest version even supports 64 bit client operating systems if
you're running it under a 64-bit host.

But college courses tend not to be in specific applications--instead of
learning to use Small Business Server, you'll learn how to write an
operating system from scratch for example. Or at least that's the way it
was last time I looked at a computer science curriculum.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 2:53:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>> Can I use nothing but laptops for this? Use a laptop
>>> as a server and is on all the time?
>>
>>Why not?
>>
>>Notebooks have far better processors,
>>desktops and servers are damned to use
>>the fail constuction P4 and other hot energy wasters.
>
> Why don't they build desktops that use energy efficient
> CPUs like the laptops have now days?

Didn't we just have that discussion?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 2:56:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>Please note that vmWare has academic pricing--don't know how attractive it
>>is but it will be less than the full $189. They also have a developer
>>package that includes both the Windows and Linux version of Workstation as
>>well as the servers for $300.
>
> I will have to look into the VMWare
>
> That might be a better solution than a bunch of small
> PCs or laptop setting around. Yes?

I've found it to be very convenient. I've used it teaching courses--getting
the school to spring for two computers per student and dedicate one of them
to an OS that the school doesn't normally use doesn't fly, but often the
Powers That Be can be talked into putting vmware on the machines in a
single classroom.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
July 18, 2005 3:30:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>But college courses tend not to be in specific applications--instead of
>learning to use Small Business Server, you'll learn how to write an
>operating system from scratch for example. Or at least that's the way it
>was last time I looked at a computer science curriculum.

OK...point taken.... but would VMWare still fit the
bill given above scenario.... i.e operating system from
scratch?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 3:35:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>me@privacy.net wrote:
>>>Suppose I take a class in.... on I don't know.... Ms
>>>Small Business Server config....something like that.
>>
>>No reputable college is going to be giving classes that specific.
>>talk to IT Technical Institute for that kind of thing.
>
> OK... that was a bad example on my part
>
> I don't know what they might teach
>
> But I'm wanting to be proactive abt a test lab BEFORE I
> need it.
>
> Bottom line.. sounds like VMWare would let me setup a
> virtual test lab and muck around with all kinds of
> things computer and network related, right?

Exactly.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 5:43:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net () wrote in
news:p p9id1l2a7nj8hmvb0c18eng1rh6k3dr60@4ax.com:

> Can I use nothing but laptops for this? Use a laptop
> as a server and is on all the time?

Unless you have a new high-end machine, the disk drive in your laptop
will probably be of relatively low performance, designed for low
power consumption.

If you're serious about your machine acting as a server, you'll
probably want to upgrade to a 7200RPM (or maybe even a 10000RPM) disk
drive.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
July 18, 2005 5:43:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>Unless you have a new high-end machine, the disk drive in your laptop
>will probably be of relatively low performance, designed for low
>power consumption.
>
>If you're serious about your machine acting as a server, you'll
>probably want to upgrade to a 7200RPM (or maybe even a 10000RPM) disk
>drive.

So in your opinion you would NOT use a laptop as server
or to run VMWare?
July 18, 2005 6:08:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>> Bottom line.. sounds like VMWare would let me setup a
>> virtual test lab and muck around with all kinds of
>> things computer and network related, right?
>
>Exactly.

Well I guess the second question would be can I use
VMWare with a good laptop?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 8:22:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net () wrote in
news:1phnd15j6l12j2qies1gis1jqo5relfq9u@4ax.com:

>>Unless you have a new high-end machine, the disk drive in your
>>laptop will probably be of relatively low performance, designed for
>>low power consumption.
>>
>>If you're serious about your machine acting as a server, you'll
>>probably want to upgrade to a 7200RPM (or maybe even a 10000RPM)
>>disk drive.
>
> So in your opinion you would NOT use a laptop as server
> or to run VMWare?

Well, I never would. Laptops have too many special design and
component choices to make them small, rugged and keep their power
consumption low.

Small conventional PCs are cheap and you can just pile a bunch of
them in the corner of your "lab" and with a suitable KVM switch
you'll only need one keyboard, monitor and mouse for the whole batch.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 11:46:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
>Why don't they build desktops that use energy efficient
>CPUs like the laptops have now days?

Is there an echo in here? Look for ITX machines if you want small and
light with low power consumption.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2005 2:50:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>> Bottom line.. sounds like VMWare would let me setup a
>>> virtual test lab and muck around with all kinds of
>>> things computer and network related, right?
>>
>>Exactly.
>
> Well I guess the second question would be can I use
> VMWare with a good laptop?

Of course you can. Be a good idea to max out the RAM though. Nothing magic
about it--works fine on my P233 Thinkpad 770 but with 192 MB of RAM I'm
limited in the number of sessions I can run. On my AMD64 M6811, with over
a gig of RAM it goes like the hammers.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2005 2:54:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>But college courses tend not to be in specific applications--instead of
>>learning to use Small Business Server, you'll learn how to write an
>>operating system from scratch for example. Or at least that's the way it
>>was last time I looked at a computer science curriculum.
>
> OK...point taken.... but would VMWare still fit the
> bill given above scenario.... i.e operating system from
> scratch?

Depends on how they teach the course--they'll probably have specific
hardware--when I was in school we used LSI-11s and it was done as a class
project with each of us doing a piece of it--while that seems less
practical than using something currently popular, it's actually better from
a pedagogical viewpoint because you don't have to deal with the many
idiosynchracies of the Intel hardware. If they teach on Intel hardware
though vmWare could be very helpful--it gives you a nice sandbox.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2005 2:56:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Bert Hyman wrote:

> me@privacy.net () wrote in
> news:1phnd15j6l12j2qies1gis1jqo5relfq9u@4ax.com:
>
>>>Unless you have a new high-end machine, the disk drive in your
>>>laptop will probably be of relatively low performance, designed for
>>>low power consumption.
>>>
>>>If you're serious about your machine acting as a server, you'll
>>>probably want to upgrade to a 7200RPM (or maybe even a 10000RPM)
>>>disk drive.
>>
>> So in your opinion you would NOT use a laptop as server
>> or to run VMWare?
>
> Well, I never would. Laptops have too many special design and
> component choices to make them small, rugged and keep their power
> consumption low.
>
> Small conventional PCs are cheap and you can just pile a bunch of
> them in the corner of your "lab" and with a suitable KVM switch
> you'll only need one keyboard, monitor and mouse for the whole batch.

For a production server I'd agree with you. For an experimental setup it's
another story. If he ends up in a college dorm he might not have much in
the way of "corner".

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
July 19, 2005 1:02:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>> Small conventional PCs are cheap and you can just pile a bunch of
>> them in the corner of your "lab" and with a suitable KVM switch
>> you'll only need one keyboard, monitor and mouse for the whole batch.
>
>For a production server I'd agree with you. For an experimental setup it's
>another story. If he ends up in a college dorm he might not have much in
>the way of "corner".

Exactly

I wont have much space... or money... or time... so it
kind of sounds like VMWare might be better
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2005 11:30:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

<me@privacy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:lsbnd15dtkak7lpnfe441bumbb76regou6@4ax.com...
> >> Can I use nothing but laptops for this? Use a laptop
> >> as a server and is on all the time?
> >
> >Why not?
> >
> >Notebooks have far better processors,
> >desktops and servers are damned to use
> >the fail constuction P4 and other hot energy wasters.
>
> Why don't they build desktops that use energy efficient
> CPUs like the laptops have now days?

It's the storry of Dr.Jekill and Mr.Hyde

The genial Dr.Jekill makes the Pentium-M,
but in the night, he changes to the primitive
only power and no intelligence Mr.Hyde producing P4s.


--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2005 7:02:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:02:46 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

>>> Small conventional PCs are cheap and you can just pile a bunch of
>>> them in the corner of your "lab" and with a suitable KVM switch
>>> you'll only need one keyboard, monitor and mouse for the whole batch.
>>
>>For a production server I'd agree with you. For an experimental setup it's
>>another story. If he ends up in a college dorm he might not have much in
>>the way of "corner".
>
>Exactly
>
>I wont have much space... or money... or time... so it
>kind of sounds like VMWare might be better

You're 47 - surely you won't be crashing in the freshman dorms?
Emanuel
July 21, 2005 7:02:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>You're 47 - surely you won't be crashing in the freshman dorms?
> Emanuel

No but I could be living in a cheap efficiency
apartment. No?
!