Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer powers off...Needs more fans! (Maybe)

Last response: in Components
October 21, 2011 1:56:42 AM

As the title says, my PC powers off. Only does it when I am 30 minutes into a game, and I noticed the temp that it powers off at is when my GPU averages around 70c.

For my case I have HAF 912, which I upgraded along with a XFX 6870 and an Antec 620w High Current Gamer.

My case currently has only 1 fan, and its the exhaust. The front one came with the connectors bent(Should I try plugging it in, by just forcing the sticks to align with the connectors?)

Is my power supply enough to power my system?
- Phenom II X4 840T @2.9
- 6GB Ram
- 1TB HDD
- XFX 6870
- Antec 620w

or Should I install a 200mm fan in the front for intake of cool air?

Or is the card probably defective?

*Also, I do have the computer in the corner of my room, but it has space, it's just not being pounded with air.

More about : computer powers fans

a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 2:39:00 AM

Your psu *should* be powerful enough for your rig, and 70C isn't a bad temp at all for your vid card. My first guess at this time would be a psu issue.

To confirm or eliminate heat as an issue, download Prime95, Furmark, and CPUID Hardware Monitor. Using Hardware Monitor to watch temps:

- Run Prime95 for 30 min
- Run Furmark torture for 15 min
- Run both for 5 min AFTER Furmark shows your vid card temp has levelled off.

In all cases, stop the test if cpu temps approach 80C or gpu temps approach 90C. If all is working well, the cpu and gpu temps should climb to a point where, at near max fan speed, they level off.

Let us know what happens.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 2:43:19 AM

you could use two 120mm in front and add a 200mm on top,for the connecter if it bend on the motherboard would not try to unbend the connector.also try to replace cooling paste on cpu with good one
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 2:45:29 AM

You should have more ventilation in your case , the side pannel looks like it has a spot for a fan and there are two screw hloe which means you can put two different size fans. I would put a 140mm fan in the side pannel as that one would blow directly on to the video card. The case is set up for two 120mm or one 200mm fan in the front, and the same on the top so you have plenty of other options also. If your card was defective it would not work at all. I think it is overheating and by adding a few fans you should be ok. Besides adding fans first is the less expensive option then getting a new card.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 2:54:39 AM

Hey, you guys recommending fans . . . what's wrong with a gpu temp of 70C ?

Nothing.

But let's find out what his temps really are under known load . . . they will likely level off at 75C or 80C in Furmark. If they do not, then we can talk about ventilation being required.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 3:07:17 AM

to @Twoboxer
with the set up suggested my gpu max temp is only 58c on full load.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 3:08:45 AM

That's great.

But his system isn't shutting down because of a 70C gpu temp. If it is, the problem isn't heat - its something else.
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:31:56 AM

Twoboxer said:
That's great.

But his system isn't shutting down because of a 70C gpu temp. If it is, the problem isn't heat - its something else.

I ran Furmark for about 7 minutes before it just stayed a a temp, and the temp was 83c that was max, decided not to run it for 15 min.

As for Prime95, I couldnt get it to work?
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:38:30 AM

Twoboxer said:
That's great.

Also, by leveling off, what exactly do you mean?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 3:42:16 AM

They should hold at a specific point - 84, 85, 86, 85, 84, 85, 85 like that - meaning that the max temperature is within the board's/case's ability to keep it cool. 83C isn't bad - my 5870 hits 85C and holds there.

If your system was shutting down because of a 70C gpu temp, then it sure should have shut down before 83C.

What happened when you tried to run Prime95?
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:46:00 AM

Twoboxer said:
They should hold at a specific point - 84, 85, 86, 85, 84, 85, 85 like that - meaning that the max temperature is within the board's/case's ability to keep it cool. 83C isn't bad - my 5870 hits 85C and holds there.

If your system was shutting down because of a 70C gpu temp, then it sure should have shut down before 83C.

What happened when you tried to run Prime95?

Yeah, noticed that too.

Didnt do anything, I started it, waited, and nothing was happening.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 3:49:48 AM

What version did you download?

You started it and got a blank window? Click "Options" then "Torture Test", then click OK.
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:51:11 AM

Which do I choose?

It's on Blend by default.
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:58:04 AM

select the on for heat and power consumption, since its that your testing
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 4:00:52 AM

Hang on a second - let me take a look at something . . .
m
l
October 21, 2011 4:04:19 AM

Twoboxer said:
Hang on a second - let me take a look at something . . .

Started the Heat/Consumption test 6 minutes ago, abort?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 4:11:26 AM

Yes. You probably got an old version of P95. My apologies for not giving you a link.

Please downoad the appropriate version of Prime95 (32- or 64-bit) from this web site:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30530-latest-overc...

You may have to reboot to delete the version you downloaded. Replace it with the latest version, run Prime95, and when asked click "Just Stress Testing". (For future runs, you may have to click Options and then Torture Test.)

This version will run as many threads as possible, ie, drive your cpu at 100%.

Edit: The "Blend" is fine.
m
l
October 21, 2011 4:27:55 AM

So what will I be looking out for?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 4:34:07 AM

Temps not plateauing at an acceptable number. An error that forces P95 to stop running, which probably would indicate a memory issue of some kind.

What I expect is this test, like the graphics test, will show that your system isn't shutting down because of heat on the cpu or gpu.

While a graphics card (or a mobo) could possibly behave the same way, when a system fails after working hot "for a while" its normally a sign that the power supply is failing. So, if your PC passes all three stress tests without failing for heat reasons over a short duration (each test <=15 minutes), the most likely suspect becomes the psu.
m
l
October 21, 2011 4:37:16 AM

Ahh okay, so do I only do the Prime95 for 15 minutes or 30?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2011 5:03:07 AM

If your cpu temps have stabilized, it doesn't really matter.
m
l
October 22, 2011 1:22:31 AM

I've realized that it's only on Bad Company 2 that it just restarts.

I've gotten higher temps on other games, and it was fine.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 22, 2011 7:47:49 AM

Seems we've proven its not heat causing your problem.

Now you're saying it "restarts", not "powers off"? And only in one game?
m
l
October 22, 2011 8:07:52 AM

Yup, it doesnt power off, just restarts, and it only happens on Bad Company 2 :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 22, 2011 8:16:31 AM

2382130,1,878226 said:
As the title says, my PC powers off. Only does it when I am 30 minutes into a game . . .
said:

Was this ever true? Or did that problem go away and was replaced by this new one?

In any case - if it restarts - it sounds more like a memory issue, a graphics driver issue, or a corrupt game install.
m
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
October 22, 2011 1:46:33 PM

^+1 i agree it's usually one of three listed above.
If the rest of your games run fine it's that particular game.
Have the same issue with one game on my pc at the moment.
19 other games run fine.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 22, 2011 2:07:34 PM

I am using a 700w to power my setup which has less specs (same processor, 4gb ram, 4870 card two generations older).

If you can borrow a bigger one and test it you might want to. It could be that your power source just can't handle the absolute max draw, if the problem is that your computer shuts down when it is well into a game.

If it is the exact same place every time in the game then that could be the result of a buggy game, but if the places in the game seem to be random and you are able to get past encounters that crash just by restarting and starting from a save closer to the crash area then my gut feeling is either a bad video card or a power source that can't handle it.

In my experience, most problems are power supply problems so I would look at that first.
m
l
October 22, 2011 10:16:35 PM

Twoboxer said:
2382130,1,878226 said:
As the title says, my PC powers off. Only does it when I am 30 minutes into a game . . .
said:

Was this ever true? Or did that problem go away and was replaced by this new one?

In any case - if it restarts - it sounds more like a memory issue, a graphics driver issue, or a corrupt game install.
said:
said:

No, it was just with BC2 that it was restarting, so should I uninstall my current drivers and install some earlier ones?

And if that doesnt work just reinstall the game?
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
October 22, 2011 10:28:02 PM

A shame we spent so much time on the wrong symptom.

Question: what video driver are you using, and when did you install it?

In any case:

1) Run Windows Memory Diagnostic (by typing "windows mem" in the search box of the start button, and it will pop up. Sounds weak, but its quick and easy and *does* detect at least many memory errors. If it detects a problem, resolve it before going any further.

2) Download fresh and re-install the latest WHQL video driver. Does that solve the problem?

3) Re-install the game. Does that solve the problem?

4) If noone of those fixes the issue, see the third paragraph of Raiddinn's reply.

October 23, 2011 12:08:01 AM

1) No problems.

2) Already had the lastest drivers, tried older ones, didnt work.

3) Doing that now.

4) I hope I dont have to do this one.
m
l
October 23, 2011 9:29:01 PM

Best answer selected by The Halo Don.
m
l
!