First time New Build Please help - P8Z77-V Deluxe and i7 3770k

Status
Not open for further replies.

royhmitc

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hello,
After cabling all components and powering up Q-code is AE. Tried all recommendations suggested in other threads. Could the mobo be bad?

Solution
with new mb from asus there cpu code for the bios may not have been updated. the 801 bios was the shipping bios for there boards.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V/#download
use a usb stick and use your usb flashback port and update the bios..all you need is standby power.
downlaod the mb bios and rename it to Z77VB.CAP and drop it into the root of the usb stick.
plug the usb stick into the usb flash back port and hold the button in for 3 sec..it will start blinking...if the file is names right the bios will read the flash file..flash the bios and the usb blue flash back light will go out. you should be able to then post the mb without any errors when the new cpu code is loaded. start with 900x bios file first...
Here's one discussion: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P8P67+DELUXE&id=20110428100322976&page=1&SLanguage=en-us; I suggest you unplug all your drives and reseat the 24 pin power supply connection; you don't need your drives connected to get a post screen.

with new mb from asus there cpu code for the bios may not have been updated. the 801 bios was the shipping bios for there boards.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V/#download
use a usb stick and use your usb flashback port and update the bios..all you need is standby power.
downlaod the mb bios and rename it to Z77VB.CAP and drop it into the root of the usb stick.
plug the usb stick into the usb flash back port and hold the button in for 3 sec..it will start blinking...if the file is names right the bios will read the flash file..flash the bios and the usb blue flash back light will go out. you should be able to then post the mb without any errors when the new cpu code is loaded. start with 900x bios file first then the 10xx bios. when it posts go into the bios and hit f5 save the default bios and exit then reboot and then flash the bios with the other bios files. remember to hit f5 after each one.

Solution

royhmitc

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
I suspect this to be the most plausible answer since I tried all other suggestions to no avail. I returned the motherboard back to Newegg for a replacement because I did not want to cause more harm than the warranty would allow (flashing the bios from a USB port). Also, if the factory had let the device slip out with this defect what other 'bug' was there on the board. Thanks for your help!

roy it happens with all mb and computer parts..firmware updates are a part of life unless the part is old. most of the mb you see of the shelf at micro center and new egg are 3-4 months old. (slow boat from the vendor to the us). why when i tell people when the order cpu and mb to call new egg and see if they have newer stock in house with the newer bios. it a pain some times to call new egg before you order but it saves you from pulling your hair out if you dont have a way to flash the bios.

royhmitc

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
I have a follow on question:
I have read on other sites How to clean a CPU. When material, like thermal paste, sticks to the underside of the CPU how can it be cleaned. I know that the pins in the motherboard are extremely delicate and can not be touched. In this case, it is the Intel I7 (or whatever processor). I know about cleaning the thermal paste on the topside.

I would use a toothbrush and some alcohol; if you can't flush out the residue, you'll have to wash it out under a faucet and dry it thoroughly with a hair dryer or place the cpu under a heat vent. If it's just a small amount, use the brush without any alcohol.

If the CPU pins have TIM on them about the only way to clean them is with a toothpick ** and Isopropyl alcohol 90% (or TIM cleaner); see - Arctic Silver ACN-60ML - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

To clean the CPU I use either a lint free towel or paper towel and Q-Tips and clean it several times and lastly blow-off any lint or dust. For cleaning the bottom of the CPU restrict cleaning to a Q-Tip and avoid the center area with the transistors. There's no rush so take your time!

you'll have to wash it out under a faucet and dry it thoroughly with a hair dryer or place the cpu under a heat vent.
Ah No. Don't get any water on the CPU.

** I prefer the flat toothpicks:
Toothpicks.jpg

royhmitc

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

I took the faucet and blow dry is jest. Nice to know that the under side can be cleaned although do not touch the center depression (transitors). Thanks, Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.