Sign in with
Your question

New $2000 build, lots of advice needed

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2011 4:33:12 PM

Last November I knew really nothing about computers. I didn't even know what a CPU or RAM was, couldnt even consider trying to learn how to overclock because it seemed too hard. I researched for hours and came up with the build below and I love it.

I7-950 @ 3.8
6GB RAM
750W
Radeon 6870
1TB HD
Haf 932
ASUS P6X58D-E

Now what I want to do is add water cooling, Crossfire, Mod the case (paint it and side panel window and such) add RAM..it's looking like an expensive project and a bit of a stressful one since i would need to take my current rig apart.

I was thinking instead maybe I'll just build a new one! I did just run into some money, so maybe I'll treat myself.

Approximate Purchase Date: Let's just assume a month from now

Budget Range: 2,000 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Entertaining me while building / modding it, bragging rights, Gaming, movies, papers / research

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitors (would appreciate monitor suggestions in case I sold mine, unimportant though)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg..anything trustworthy really

Country of Origin: Not sure if this matters, I live in the united states and like cheap shipping though

Overclocking: Absolutely

SLI or Crossfire: I'd like to, if its extremely unnecessary that's fine though

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.

Additional Comments: A very large part of me wants water cooling, although I travel 6 hours by car to school and bring my computer with me, is that dangerous? I Like the idea of water cooling because it looks nice, sounds fancy, and then i wouldn't have to worry about airflow / dust as much. Also on my current rig I was running at 5760 x 1080 resolution and it was going very slow. I'll always run dual monitors, if I get the space for it in my room i'd love to run a 3rd monitor with eyefinity. Also I'd like to mod the case. I'd like to have a window on the side panel. If the case has doesn't have this, it's no problem I could mod it myself (and would actually like to just to learn more and can say i did it myself) but I'd prefer to not depend on air flow from the side panel because Id want to get rid of that fan. Also I won't be able to build this until I sell my old computer. Any selling advice? :)  Also, I don't game that often (wow once in a while, maybe some crysis or SC2) But when I do, i'd like to be able to enjoy it with max graphics. Also, I'm a bit of a multitasker. I'll play WoW on one monitor while watching a movie / having 76 google chrome tabs open / be on aim / listen to music / draw a picture in paint all at the same time.

I know that since this is build fairly new it might seem like a waste to build a new one, but this was my first build and I made a lot of mistakes. Cable management is awful, I broke a front USB port, i bought a case without front usb 3.0, i can't figure out why the front audio port doesn't work..it's just enough small things that make me want to sell this and start fresh.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

More about : 2000 build lots advice needed

July 23, 2011 4:58:45 PM

why would you want to upgrade from an i7-950 OCed to 3.8 Ghz??

anyway i would reccommend crossfiring that 6870:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

an OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD (boot drive, you could also get two of them for use in Raid0 but that would be crazy fast and expensive):

unless your willing to provide the regular maintainence and care needed for water cooling i would advise staying away from it, if not properly maintained it can cause some major problems.

apart from that upgrading to a new CPU/Mobo would see you no performance increase in real world gaming performance since your current 950 @3.8Ghz is pretty much top of the range.

hope it isn't but this seems like a bit of a troll post to me.
m
l
July 23, 2011 5:07:41 PM

ps3hacker12 said:
why would you want to upgrade from an i7-950 OCed to 3.8 Ghz??

anyway i would reccommend crossfiring that 6870:

an OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD (boot drive, you could also get two of them for use in Raid0 but that would be crazy fast and expensive):

unless your willing to provide the regular maintainence and care needed for water cooling i would advise staying away from it, if not properly maintained it can cause some major problems.

apart from that upgrading to a new CPU/Mobo would see you no performance increase in real world gaming performance since your current 950 @3.8Ghz is pretty much top of the range.

hope it isn't but this seems like a bit of a troll post to me.

I appreciate the reply. It really isn't a troll post. It was my first build so naturally there were so many things I could've done better. Instead of taking it apart and fixing everything, i'd rather sell it to a friend and get a fresh start with a new computer. It may be a bit of a waste of money, but planning, building, and modding is a lot of fun to me.

Also, it runs fairly hot at 3.8 (75C) and when i tried to OC to 4.0, after 20 minutes under prime 95 it shut off.

If you really don't think I should sell and buy another one, I'll check out those upgrades though :) 

Thank you

Edit: could 750W Handle that crossfire? And I researched a lot about water cooling, I read it was only about a day worth of maintence every 6 months. I'm fine doing that! Unless that's bad information
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2011 12:03:54 PM

Jvass said:
I appreciate the reply. It really isn't a troll post. It was my first build so naturally there were so many things I could've done better. Instead of taking it apart and fixing everything, i'd rather sell it to a friend and get a fresh start with a new computer. It may be a bit of a waste of money, but planning, building, and modding is a lot of fun to me.

Also, it runs fairly hot at 3.8 (75C) and when i tried to OC to 4.0, after 20 minutes under prime 95 it shut off.

If you really don't think I should sell and buy another one, I'll check out those upgrades though :) 

Thank you

Edit: could 750W Handle that crossfire? And I researched a lot about water cooling, I read it was only about a day worth of maintence every 6 months. I'm fine doing that! Unless that's bad information

yeah thats about right, but some of us find that a bit much :p , and a 750W can handle crossfire 6870s absolutely fine, infact it can handle OCed 6870s, and an OCed i7 950 with some extra wattage still. Sorry about the troll post thing, it does happen :p .

if you wanted you could get a self contained water cooler for just your CPU, such as the corsair H-series (the H100 being the best, i so want it :p ):
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13375/ex-wat-174/Cors...

for water cooling solutions i would highly reccommend FrozenCPU:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g30/Liquid_Cooling.html

m
l
July 24, 2011 12:23:13 PM

I would just upgrade now and save the cash for when AMD and Intel release their new CPUs (Intel won't be for a while) and then you will actually get some real noticalbe improvment from a new build.
m
l
!