Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sapphire HD 5770 FleX 1GB GDDR5, is it HDCP compliant?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2011 3:38:42 AM

I'm looking fo a mid-to-high range graphics card for a build. I mostly run graphics programs, and a 3 monitor setup using Eyefinity would be great.

The specs I have on the Sapphire HD 5770 Flex 1GB card, it's loaded, but nothing said about HDCP compliance.

Is it HDCP compliant?

Does anyone have other feed back on its performance, or on comparable cards?

The planned build:
MoBo - ASUS P8H67-M EVO (Intel 1155 socket set, Intel H67 platform)
Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 133 (PC3 10666)
CPU - Intel Core i&-2600 3.46GHz 8MB L3 shared cache, 1333MHz LGA1155 Box
Card - Sapphire HD 5770 FleX 1GB GDDR5 with AMD Eyefinity (1 duo-link DVI, 1 single-link DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort)
Display - ASUS PA246Q (24" up to 2560 x 1600 dpi, P-IPS 178 degrees 4-viewing directions, 98% of Adobe RGB color space)
Poer - Corsair 700W

Thanks for any help.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 17, 2011 4:12:32 AM

Are you trying to play games with eyefinity and 3D?
Cause if you are, your going to need a much more powerful card than a 5770 to manage playable frame rates.

And yes the 5770 is HDCP compliant.I'm pretty sure almost all cards are HDCP these days.
May 17, 2011 4:25:03 AM

I might get more into games later, Purple Stank. But for now, my needs are more to run major graphics software. I will be doing some video editing which I assume will lean more toward game specs for cards that render frames better. Graphic design is more about high ram to hold open large files and CPU power to render them, and display real estate.

Can you recommend perhaps a better card that would work for me?
Related resources
May 17, 2011 4:29:19 AM

Also, graphic design sessions can last 10 to 12 hours at a time. And, that's a lot for cards that run hot. So, cooling on the rig is an important factor.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 17, 2011 5:26:37 AM

I'd say the GTX560 or the 6870 would be better suited for your needs.I know those cards for sure are able to dispaly in 3D and would be much more capable to support 3 monitors.The GTX560 is slightly faster.Both cards should have plenty of muscle to support what you do and if you ever decide to game they can support that as well.

MSI GTX560 1G Twin Frozer II $250 =$230 after MIR + Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus 6870 1G $200=$180 after MIR + Ftee Shipping

MSI 6870 1G Twin Frozer II $225=$210 after MIR + $5 Shipping

All these cards have outstanding cooling.Don't forget that in order for the card(s) to cool well the case must have good airflow also.What type of case do you have for this build?
May 17, 2011 5:45:46 AM

I haven't picked out a case yet, could use some good recommendations.

Do these cards have Display Port? This works well with Eyefinity for 3 monitors. With stand-alone monitor setup, the best graphics monitors have Display Port at 2560 x 1600 resolution.
May 17, 2011 6:08:13 AM

You're sure right about the cooling issue...over heating the last thing needed when running long design sessions, maybe 10+ hours. In graphics, one creates multiple files, 25 megs plus, maybe 3 to 8 of them at a time. They are revised continuously with color corrections, added components, filtering (a layer over the original), sliding around the display screen. Controlling huge amounts of RAM and peeking out the CPU is the game I play, so to speak.

In the ASUS 5800 series, the 5870 Eyefinity 6/6S/2GD5 is awesome, 6 DisplayPorts! And, also supports OpenGL (for graphics programs). But, it runs hot.

I looked at bigger cards, and read some reviews. My concerns are fan failure and running to hot too long. How would the MSI GTX560 and Asus 6870 run in my situation?
May 17, 2011 6:32:33 AM

I just read a review on the Radeon HD 6870 (at bit-tech.net). I like the ports, 2 Display Ports, 1 HDMI, 2 DVD-I! The tests show it runs about 25% +/- cooler than the 5770, as you were saying and that's also great. It uses only about 3 or 4 % more power on load, hardly worth mentioning. All-in-all, a great recommendation! Thanks. I'll try to get the full specs.
May 17, 2011 6:55:15 AM

Found the specs on the Radeon HD 6870 (I'll also look for the ASUS version):

"XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity"

Supports Eyefinity, OpenGL 4.0, DirectX11, great! Core clock 900MHz, and a manageable 500W PSU. And, it runs cooler than most! Price is around $200, reasonable for its perks.

Thanks so much, Purple Stank, I'll check out the ASUS 6870 version, and the MSI GTX560 1G Twin Frozer II that you mentioned, next. You know your cards, yeah?

My tower, now, is an Antec 8" wide x 16" high x 18" deep, inside dimensions, 2 fans.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 17, 2011 7:42:55 AM

Well the thing with the Asus version is that it doesn't have a mini display port only x2 HDMI's.I'm pretty sure that you need a 1.4a mini display port for 1080p 3D.
Also that XFX card is not the card you want.It doesn't have any aftermarket cooling so after time, running it at 10+ hrs under load, it won't last as long as the others.

If RAM is a big issue for you then maybe you might want to check out the 6950.

MSI Twin Frozr II 6950

As for a case your going to need something with lots of airflow and that can support big cards.
I would suggest going with one of the HAF series case's from Cooler Master.I personally own the HAF 922 and it's a fabulous case but you might like something more liek the HAF 932 or the HAF X.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
May 18, 2011 6:06:17 AM

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I worked the polls today, a city election. It's an 18-hour day when including the poll's setup and dis-assembly after closing, 4:00am to 10:00pm.

I agree, the DisplayPort port is important not only for the 3D rendering you mentioned (a plus I wasn't expecting), but also for its native 2560 x 1600 resolution easily handled by its faster new technology (an optical interface). Only Mac's Thunderbolt is faster (but as of yet, no real range of peripherals to hook up, except Mac's monitors and e-toys).

Interesting point about the life of an XFX card, but wouldn't it last long with a good cooling system? I thought only ASUS factory overclocked their version of 6870 at 10%.

I'll certainly look into the MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 as you suggested. But, it might be pushing my budget of $1600 to $1800 (more if multiple monitors) for the build. If you suggested it because I said I needed a lot of RAM, I meant MoBo RAM (working RAM). Most graphics software (Photoshop and others) cashe the work-in-progress in swop files, etc., and the RAM draws on them to make changes in the files. The graphics card needs only to render successive generations. What are your thoughts about card performance from this perspective?

The HAF Series cases sound like a good foundation for my build. Thanks, I'll check your firsthand-experience recommendation.
May 18, 2011 6:54:27 AM

gotta get some sleep after the 18 hour work day at the polls, on only 3 hours sleep the night before...ugh. I'll check in tomorrow to look for your reply. Thanks
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 18, 2011 7:24:04 AM

Yes if a compoent is cooled well it extends the life of that device compared to running it a hotter temps.That XFX card you selected doesn't have a good cooling system which is why I said it would be a bad idea.
Almost every GPU manufactur overclocks their cards in one way or another it isn't jus Asus that does it.I specificly reccomended Asus and MSI because they have the best repuations and some of the best cooling on the market.

O I see,I thought you meant video RAM not CPU RAM.Then you should be fine with the GTX560 or the 6870.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 18, 2011 7:29:19 AM

I noticed that your using a Micro ATX board.Is their any specific reason why you chose that?
May 19, 2011 2:02:32 AM

Interesting news about most manufacturers overclocking their cards, they don't always show it in their specs. Thanks.

The Asus 6870 version seems a little shy on DisplayPorts as I remember. I liked the MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 you recommended. How does it compare in cooling and quality with the XFX 6870? Both have OpenGL support (more friendly for graphics applications).

I actually stumbled onto the Micro ATX board technology. I only need a couple of PCIe 2 slots, a graphics card and maybe later a sound card. So, I look for graphics cards requiring only one PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. Even iMac's 27" all-in-one computer only upgrades to a 5760 card. And, it's a pretty fast and powerful graphics rig.

As I understand it, the Micro ATX boards trade off PCIe slots for more onboard components. The Asus P8H67-M EVO, in this case, gives me onboard graphics as a backup with a DisplayPort, in case the card fails. In graphic design, there is typically a media materials deadline involved in the project: DL (deadline) and DDL (drop deadline). Miss one and you can loose the client. Graphic designers are as obsessed with this as gamers are with over-clocking for better frame rates.

The Asus P8H67-M EVO is also an H67 platform, more graphics supportive than a P67 platform. P67 has some graphics capabilities blocked in favor of gamming. The Z68 platform unlocks all, but I can't find any Asus Z68 motherboards with onboard graphics.
May 19, 2011 2:02:35 AM

...I appreciate your input so far...
May 19, 2011 6:15:36 AM

I reviewed the 3 graphics cards and the MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II seems to win out with the best cooling system, most ports, and best application compatibility. The extra $20 or so is worth it. Thanks for steering me to it.

I don't know what to do about cooling the Intel i7 cpu, though. The only con I read on the Twin Frozr is that while it stays cool, it blows a lot of hot exhaust across the CPU, and generally heats up the case. Maybe a 200mm fan to suck the air out of a HAF high tower case that has a side-vent window is the answer. What are your thoughts?

With the Twin Frozr II, I need a minimum 500W supply, but maybe 700W is better considering the fan and all. I don't know, you've had more experience with this than me.

There's an OC'd Twin Frozr II, OC from 800MHz to 810MHz. Do you think its worth it for my needs? Thanks again, purple stank

May 19, 2011 9:11:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up, weeweeman. I'm glad to see some countries getting a price break nowadays.

At the 1/1.6 exchange rate USD/British Pound Sterling, the card at 139 Pounds (sorry, no British Pound icon on my keyboard) would cost US$222. (interesting, the British Pound is still much stronger than the Euro at 1/1.48 (USD to Euro).

In the U.S., the online sales average is currently around US$170.

I've upgraded my planned build, and I'm leaning toward the MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II for its low operating temperature, power, compatibility, portability, and dependability, based on purple stank's recommendation and reviews I've read. It averages around US$290. A lot more money, but more bang for the buck, as they say, and less down road upgrading.
May 19, 2011 9:18:12 AM

Oops sorry, please correct my figures to reflect the British eBay advertised £115, which at 1/1.6 makes it US$184, significantly better.
May 19, 2011 9:32:02 AM

hi purple stank, I checked out the Cooler Master HAF X RC-942-KKNI, ATX full tower. It's really pricey at $199, but its 4 large fans are included. Maybe it's a simply solution to any potential cooling problems, though I hate to spend that much money. The adjustable side bracket to help hold heavy graphics cards securely is a well thought out perk.
May 19, 2011 10:02:00 AM

purple stank, the considered build, based on our conversations and research I've done, looks as follows. It tops out my budget before adding two more monitors and a bigger hard drive. I value hearing your opinion on it...

-Motherboard - ASUS P8H67-M EVO - $200

-CPU - Intel Core i& 2600 3.46Hz 8MB
L3 Shared Cache 1333MHz
LGA1155 Box - $310

-RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB
(4x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) - $210

-Graphics Card - MSI R6950 Twin
Frozr II 2GB GDDR5 - $290

-Case - Cooler Master HAF X
RC-942-KKN1 ATX Full Tower - $200

-PSI - Corsair Enthusiast Series
TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31
/EPS 12V v2.92 - $105

-Display - ASUS PA246Q IPS Monitor
16:10 ratio: 1920x1200 native
up to 2560x1600 (16:10 ratio) - $500

----------------------------------------------------------
Total $1,815 before tax and shipping

a c 214 U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 6:49:46 PM

Thats a lot to read.To be honest I kinda just skimmed.Ok so thats a good choice with the 6950 Twin Frozer.You have to have good case airflow to make sure that hot air gets out.If the HAF X is to pricey you can always choose the lower models.The HAF 942 and the 932 are the exact same desgin but with less fans.
As for cooling the CPU are you using the stock cooler that it came with or an aftermarket one?I would suggest something like the Hyper 212+ if your NOT O.C.ing.
May 19, 2011 9:13:25 PM

I'll check out the other HAF's. I was just considering the stock cooler for the CPU. With all the fans on the HAF X, wouldn't that do the job?

You might want to check the ASUS PA246Q monitor for your own rig. It's a graphics production quality monitor also rated high for gaming, and that's a lot of color space (AdobeRGB) at 1920x1200 or 2560x1600, for the money. DisplayPort is a fast transfer, and with an "IPS" 178 view angle in any direction, and calibration out of the box, its hard to beat. It's not a glossy screen, it's matte. The trade off is: you see no flections on the glass, but lower contrast in the blacks. IPS monitors have a little less contrast anyway. (Amazon $488)

http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/PA246Q/#overvi...

http://www.digitalversus.com/asus-p424_8833_93.html

Actually, an LG IPS236V monitor with 178 view angle in any direction might be a better choice for you; HDMI port, 1920x1080, good contract, 5ms response. It has the standard eRGB color space (what mass consumers and gamers usually see), with matte screen (and maybe glossy available) for half the price. And, you can download a calibration profile from digitalversus.com to make that color right on. (BestBuy.com) $239
May 19, 2011 9:18:33 PM

I'll also check out the Hyper 212+. Thanks.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 11:53:49 PM

I don't have the money right now for a new monitor but I take it into consideration.

The case fans will do a good job at providing good airflow but the cpu cooler still has to get the heat off of the CPU and the stock coolers do a horrible job at that.And I question it's ability to keep it cool under 10hr+ work loads.

May 20, 2011 12:29:38 AM

That's good advice about the CPU, thanks. I didn't know the stock cooling was that bad. I'll start by checking out the Hyper 212+. I don't know who makes it, I'll try Googling it. I'm running pretty high on my budget (over to be more realistic), but I really like the high quality and performance choices you helped me with. I guess the tower expenses should be for less fans, and adding a cooling system.

The graphics work sessions are not always 10 hours, sometimes only 2 or 3. It depends on the situation. Independent graphic arts work mostly at night because they pitch clients during the day. So, their sessions tend to be longer cramming all the work into one time slot, maybe 4 to 10 hours. Graphic artists working for an agency divide up the sessions, maybe 2 to 3 hours at a time. The computer sits idle with files open while some research and organizing is done.

As for myself, I have a graphics intensive website I'm building for my own business venture, so the session time can be 10 hours one day and only a few or none the next. Your recommendations really help to meet task either way. Thanks!

On the Asus PA246Q monitor, I looked at the specs again and noticed it doesn't support 3D, so maybe it's not a monitor you would have wanted to buy anyhow. The LG IPS236V might be a better future choice if you decide to upgrade. Put it on your wish list, we all have one. :ange: 
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 1:06:31 AM

I realize not ever worlload is 10hrs but i'm just saying if you ever did run into one of those long nights I'm doubting that the stock cooler can withstand that much punishment.And the cooler the componet is the longer it will last.

The full name of that cooler is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+.Here it is...

May 20, 2011 4:16:32 AM

Thanks, and I know you realize this, purple stank.

I researched the Hyper 212 plus, and some others, I'm having trouble matching heat sync coolers to the 1155 socket set P8H67-M EVP motherboard. Most fit 1156, but I don't know if 1156 bolts up the same.

The Scythe Mugen-2 claims to fit all, I guess based on its backplate with several hole configurations. With two fans running push-pull at 7V, it 's pretty impressive in performance and quietness. This is and interesting article about it:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article961-page1.html

CoolMaster has 4 versions that claim to fit the 1155 socket, for instance, the V6.

Ahh, I finally found the CoolMaster's Hyper 212 plus specs for a fit on "Sandy Bridge 1155.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 6:55:59 AM

The Hyper 212+ fits 1155.
I just noticed that the Hyper 212+ is priced the same as the Scythe Mugen 2.That being the case I would recocmend going for the Scythe Mugen 2 over the Hyper 212+ as it performs better.

The main reason why the Hyper 212+ was so popular is that it cooled very will and it was priced very low,it's usually $27.
Just to let you know you will have to buy a second set of wire clips for the Scythe Mugen 2 in order to have a 2nd fan to use a push/pull setup because it only comes with 1 fan and 1 set of fan clips.I know because I was wanting to buy it too but i noticed I had to buy a sperate set of fan clips for the second fan and that turned me off because they cost to much and I could only find 1 site that had them.

Any cooler above $40 isn't really needed,remember that your not O.C.ing and just really using it for a little more than everyday use.Any aftermarket cooler will work fine.Really,coolers like the V6 and Scythe Mugen 2 are meant for extreme O.C.ing but if you wanted to keep it cool and make it last longer I guess that works as well.

Whats the model number of the processor your getting?
Is it the 2600? or the 2600k?
May 20, 2011 7:43:58 AM

That's very sound advise, thanks purple stank.

Yes, I also read about the second fan. I guess Scythe is trying to make a second market with the additional fan sold separately. Did you read the same article I linked for you? It was interesting how well the Mugen 2 performed with a push-pull fan setup at only 7V. Quite competitve with some of the more elite coolers when in that comfirguration.
What website had the fan and clips?

The processor is the 2600 (Core i7 -2600 3.4GHz 8MB Le Shared Cache 1333MHz LGA1155 Box). It features Intel HD Graphics 2000 (my backup).

I like everything about the Asus P8H67-M EVO motherboard, accepted the limitations put on the H67 Platform. Asus is trying to make two markets, graphics and gammers, by splitting the technology into H67 and P67. Sometimes people in marketing become very stupid. I know, I've interfaced with plenty of them.

a c 214 U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 8:03:32 AM

If you haven't already bought the processor I would strongly reccomend spending the extra $20 to get the 2600k.Only difference between them is the K version has an unlocked multiplier.I think it would be a good idea to start O.C.ing if you are planning to get an aftermarket heatsink.I've heard of people getting the i5 and i7 k series up to 5ghz on air pretty easily.

No I didn't even realaize you had posted a link to the article.I figure that out a while back when I was deciding on which CPU cooler to get,I noticed in the specifications and in the pictures that it only came with one fan AND one set of fan clips.

Here's the site that has the fan clips.

http://www.aerocooler.com/shop.cart?action=ITEM&prod_id...

Here's the Mugen 2 at their offical website.Also lists the particular fan clips you will need.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/040/scmg2000_deta...
May 20, 2011 8:29:50 AM

Thanks for the links. I haven't bought anything, yet.

The Core i7 2600k is quite a boast, OC'd to 5GHz, for $20 bucks more. Better value, the unlocked multiplier, plus the Intel HD Graphics upgrades to version 3000. I should do that!

I can't seem to find an alternative motherboard though. The H67 limits OC'ing, I think.
May 20, 2011 9:50:04 AM

What do you think of this motherboard? About 20 bucks more ($220).

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...

It's Asus' way of not splitting 67 chip technology into H67 and P67. It's called Z68.

I get everything unlocked. Supports OC'ing, Crossfire and SLI, and lot's of gamer stuff.

But, the graphics ports do not include DisplayPort, just HDMI and DVD-i and D-sub (VGA), but they're resolution goes to 16:10 ratio 1920x1200 instead of 16:9 ratio 1920x1080, so that's something. That's pretty much my only trade off. For a graphics backup, I guess that's okay.

a c 214 U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 11:11:24 AM

As an alternative don't you alreadu ahve the 5770?Or were you thinking of getting that card?
If the 6950 does fail for some reason you can always have a lesser card on standby.

That motherboard looks much better than that micro version.
May 20, 2011 7:55:33 PM

I don't own the 5770, just an old GeForce 6200 PCI, and my P4P-800-E motherboard doesn't have PCIe slots to just upgrade the graphics card. That's how I got started on all of this.

Ya, I like the P8Z68-V PRO too. I makes sense for my needs. It should have OpenGL and DX11 support, thought the specs don't really mention it. I think the onboard graphics is a better backup than a small card, no installation or buying, already setup, and the power and dynamics are better. The board features LucidLogiz Virtu (Universal Switchable Graphics Technology), but I don't know how well it works in real-time.

Do I need to upgrade the RAM to successfully OC? Here's what the motherboard supports:
4xDIMM, Max 32GB (I'll use 16GB), DDR3 2200(OC) / 2133(OV) / 1866(OC) / 1600/1333/1066 Hz Non-ECC un-buffered.
Maybe I should just run 1600's?

You would no doubt like ASUS' Rampage III over the P8Z68-V PRO, if you were into Asus boards:
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/Ramp...
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 8:02:26 PM

Almost every GPU today has OpenGL as a native function and it can be updated through drivers to support future versions.I believe I had a x1900 GPU before and it support OpenGL.

DX11 support is something only the newer cards have and you must have Windows Vista or Windows 7 in order to use it since only those operating systems support DX11(I'm unsure how Mac is with DX11)

Their is almost no difference between 1600mhz and 1333mhz.

I like everything from Asus.They are a really good quality company and that Rampage III is definitly one of their flagship's.And yes I would take that board over the PRO anyday.You would likely see a higher O.C. with the Rampage III over the PRO because the Rampage has a stronger everything(NB,SB, etc.).

If the price is right I would go for 1866 and above but I do understand you are already over your budget.
May 21, 2011 12:51:03 AM

Sounds right, on the OpenGL. Any new motherboard with onboard graphics should support it, but some GPU specs say yes and some say nothing about it.

I don't think Mac even knows what DX11 is. :lol:  But, it would be cool if I could run Mac's OS on this rig. Not all Adobe software runs on Win 7, except the standards, Photoshop, etc. After that, you have to find similar software for windows. Some programs intergrate well with Adobe software, some don't. Mac can run some windows transitional software, like MS Word becomes Mac Word, same thing. You can also load win 7 on a Mac computer, dual boot or inside Mac' OS. But as far as I know, you can't load Mac's OS on a PC.

The price for RipJaws-X 1866 Ram 4x4 (16GB) is $400 ($190 more)...ugh! Would that be a 40% increase in RAM, (1866/1333=1.40%), I don't get it? How does the RAM become more effective as the numbers get higher? Denser? Compressed? Faster? It's 32GB either way, 1333 or 1866. I'm used to the software tapping off the hard drive if additional working RAM is needed.

Yeah, I though you'd like the Rampage.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 1:02:23 AM

I wouldn't worry about RAM to much then.16GB is plenty and 1333mhz is still really decent.No it's not really an increase in RAM.It's still the same amount it's just faster.It's like the speed of a CPU.Lets say you have 2 CPU's that are identical except one is at 3.4ghz and the other is at 4ghz.One is just going to be faster because of it's speed.

You can O.C. the NB to get about 25% more speed from the RAM.Basicly it's like making the motherboard and RAM comunicate faster.
May 21, 2011 1:12:12 AM

"...It's 32GB either way, 1333 or 1866. ..."
I meant...whether it's rated, 1333 or 1866, a 4GB DIMM is still 4 GBs.
May 21, 2011 1:22:43 AM

Ah, got it, just runs faster.

Did you mean OC the NB(what's NB?) 25% to get the "1333" to run faster? 25% seems like a lot, can that hurt the RAM?

May 21, 2011 1:35:42 AM

Is it safer to OC the NB a little less with "1600" DIMMs, say 21%? Theorectically, it would produce about the same speed...or would it?
May 21, 2011 2:00:05 AM

As you can see, I know next to nothing about OC'ing. I'd have to give you screen shots of the BIOS so you could tell me what numbers to input.

There's a group called Hackintosh that finds ways to install the Mac OS on PCs. But that's a little scary, if the install screwed up.

Ironically, the only real difference in Mac hardware is the motherboard. There might be some minor tweaking on the GPU and some other stuff to match up, but basically a Mac desktop can be built the same as a PC. There's even some Mac motherboards sold online. Unfortunately, Mac is real secretive about their computers, they don't like and don't support buildouts.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 6:18:28 PM

The NB is a chip in the middle of the motherboard that controls how the RAM works and acts.So what your doing is O.C.ing that chip not the actual RAM.When you do this your making the NB faster which in turn will make the RAM seem like it's faster but acutally it's the way the NB is handling all of it.
May 21, 2011 11:23:54 PM

Okay, i I get it, you're speeding up the transfer, the RAM itself wouldn't heat up. Do gammers install heat sinks for the NB chip, I guess they make them?

Then, what is SB?

I've been researching the possiblity of installing Mac OS X on the build. There is a ligitimate way to do it after all. Though it voids the warranty on the computer and software. But who cares, it's not a Mac computer anyway. And who ever collects on a software warranty, rediculous. If I buy a ligitimate copy of Mac OS X (Snow Leopard) 10.9, it's at my own discretion what I do with it. So, it's all good.

Here's an article on how to do it:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-install-mac-os-x-on...

This article on Mac OS's many configurations over the years shows how they finally configured for x86 architecture running Intel processors with Sandy Bridge technology, the same as my build. The EFI (UEFI) BIOS filmware is used by both Mac and PC nowadays for their 64bit operating systems, so the compatibility is definitely there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wikiMac_OS

I could partition a 2TB drive, load Win7 on one and Mac OS X on the other and have two computers, the Mac for production, and the PC for biz apps and maybe a little gamming fun in the minor leagues (can always upgrade the GPU). (Actually, I would prefer two separate drives to choose from at boot screen, this is possible, right?)

The only thing I wouldn't have is Mac's Thunderbolt port, but Displayport is the same technology with optical interface and a close second in speed 10.5GB/s. But I would gain 4 USB 3.0 ports, whereas Mac still only offers USB 2.0 (Mac thinks Thunderbolt will soon rule the world because Thunderbolt daisy chains connections, we'll see).

purple sank, I don't mean to bore you with all that Mac OS stuff, but maybe you find some of it interesting, I don't know.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 11:37:09 PM

I've never used a Mac.And i've come to understand Windows very well,enough to know my way around the problems.
What warranty would you be voiding?

I'm not sure exactly what the SB does I haven't read into it that much.If you O.C. the NB it will heat up yes but most NB have a high tolerance to heat and the heatsinks the mobo maker provide are usually good enough,that and good case airflow.But you can buy aftermarket NB heatsinks if you want.
May 22, 2011 1:15:20 AM

If it's becoming confusing: there are Mac computers with didicated Mac OC's, and Adobe software and Apple software (now branded as Mac software) that run on them. Almost no third party software.

Mac has been rewriting their OC's many times over the years. Each time for a new system architure. OC versions only a couple of years old won't even run the new OC. So you can see the havic it would cause if Mac users were into building their own computers. Luckly for Mac, these users know little about computers anyhow. Mac users traditionally only want a computer that can manage effects for mega graphics and video files, while being depedable enough to protect their many long hours of work. Mac's hand-slap approach to keeping Mac users away from building computers is their don't open the case warranty.

Now, with Mac's adoption of x86 Sandy Bridge architecture, guys like me who run PC's for business applications, and Adobe software meant actually for Mac's can have the best of both worlds with the kind of build out we've been talking about.

On the NB heat sink possiblity, I'll check out some prices, maybe it's cheap enough to be worth it.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 1:33:37 AM

You don't really need to buy a NB heatsink.I was just saying they make them.Your likely to max out the speed of the NB long before heat becomes a factor.

So Mac user's have never been able to build their on PC?

May 22, 2011 7:21:30 AM

Oh, that makes sense for the NB.

Up until the early 2000's, there were mostly desktops (called Apple computers), and yeah, back then it was possible to get in and repace a few bad parts. But as for a upgrades go, they were pretty much sold as big as they could get. A special order was how you got a bigger Apple. Upgrades were done mostly by dealers with only a few options. Not many games to play, and little interest, anyhow. A Mac printer was really a PC printer with an interface card and an Apple label.

The Mac world was a different space, no hackers, geeks, gammers to speak of. But now, this market is changing. The mass consumers are going for laptops and all-in-ones. They play with their photo albums, surf and trade pics on the net, hook up to their ipods and ipads, run Garage Band to compose music, and run a few buz applications like Mac Word which is MS Word but with a facelift to display like Mac software. Word runs on Macs now because of the x86 architecture, wasn't possible before. The desktops are bought by serious graphics people: artists, video editors, ad agencies, film studios...that crowd. They order factory-builds to get what they want, up to 16 cores. But these cost $8,000 plus.

Mac likes it this way. By controlling computer options, they control their market.

My build makes sense. I want a didcated drive for Win7 and one for Mac OS X, no conflicts. the Asus monitor I want costs half what a Mac monitor costs, an displays the same color space. Maybe I can beat Mac's game.

But Mac's 27" all-in-one is a cool computer, reasonably powerful and slick looking lines. If you ever get in front of one, you'll know what I mean. Quad-core $2500, maxed out, $4800. But still not a big as the build we've been talking about.
!