AMD Radeon HD 6770 is 80c to hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverbrit

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Hi there,

I was just wandering if 80c was to high for my graphic card. The Game i was playing was Battlefield Bad Company 2. It is 65c atm when im on the internet. I was also thinking of getting the Cooler Master HAF 912 Case, any suggestions on getting it or not?

Solution

80C is on the high for AMD cards, but no fatal. The 6770, essentially a 5770, is not a hot running card though, and ur idle rating of 65C is too hot for any card. So you either have a faulty cooling unit (heat sink not making a complete connection with the GPU die) or you have next to no airflow in ur case and a warm running CPU.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

80C is on the high for AMD cards, but no fatal. The 6770, essentially a 5770, is not a hot running card though, and ur idle rating of 65C is too hot for any card. So you either have a faulty cooling unit (heat sink not making a complete connection with the GPU die) or you have next to no airflow in ur case and a warm running CPU.

Solution

silverbrit

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

So how can i fix this? I am going to get the HAF-912 soon, it will be a big upgrade from the case i have now. Do you suggest i turn on Manual Fan Control in CCC?

Good choice on the HAF -912 it's what i use, and i love it. You cant beat price/value on this case. If you are working with a cramped case ( i.e. oem) that might be an issue, but 65c surfing the web is definitely not usual for the mid-ranged Radeon cards. Even my GTX570 only reaches about 45c when surfing the web or watching videos with a 36c idle, and never gets above 71c when gaming. Set your fan profile for a good arc that allows your fan to reach 70%. It might be a bit loud at that load (esp if you are using a reference model gpu). If that helps your problem i think that it just might be a poor ventilated case, and if that is the issue then you already have it underway to be fixed. Lets hope you dont have a bad card, hopefully just the forementioned.

Oh, i also forgot to mention, dont waste your time with CCC, get MSI afterburner. It not only lets you overclock with ease, you can set a user control fan profile so you can control how fast and what temps to increase the speed. Like i mentioned in my last post, i would take the arc up to 70% and see how that works. Hopefully it helps and its just your case.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Open the side door of your PC and use for a few hours while checking on temperatures. If they drop significantly, than you need a new case or more case fans. If not, than is a defective card/cooler.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

If I remember correctly, the HD6770's are rebranded HD5770's sent to OEMs only. What type of system is it in now and what is the ambient temp. of the room?

silverbrit

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

No only one moniter at the moment.

silverbrit

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

Sorry im not quite understanding what your trying to say.

What is an OEM?

Are you trying to figure out my system specs if so here they are: (P.S. I didnt make this computer on my own, the computer is a Asus Essentio CM5570, the only things i upgraded is the Video card and the Power supply.)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770

If im missing any other specs. you want please ask me and ill try and find them.

silverbrit

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

Can you send me a link?

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

You can buy retail 6770s now.

Status
Not open for further replies.