Games become laggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

olvidada

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Okay, so I'm pretty sure my PC should be able to run games such as Starcraft II and Portal 1, Half-Life 2, and the Source engine in general, and they run excellent for a few minutes, then they become unbearably laggy. I've tried changing the video settings to the absolute lowest possible, but that same thing keeps happening; it doesn't even lengthen the amount of time I play before it becomes laggy. So does anyone know what the problem could be?

System Specs

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor 2.60 GHz
6.00 GB (5.75 GB usable) RAM
64-bit Windows 7

GeForce 9100

Driver version: 270.61
DirectX support: 10
CUDA Cores: 8
Graphics clock: 500 MHz
Processor clock: 1200 MHz
Memory clock: 400 MHz (800 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 64-bit

Total available graphics: 2943 MB
Dedicated video memory: 256 MB DDR2
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 2687 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.77.2F.00.06
IRQ: 23
Bus: FPCI

Solution

You can get a cheap 40mm fan to cool it. It is integrated with the NB on your board and is likely the hottest part in your machine but personally a cheap add in card is worth it for a few reasons knowing that most integrated graphics also share the system ram hindering performance there that has a small impact on applications.

5450 or gt430 will be great for you. Cheap tight pocket like me a 40mm fan and some screws will work but isn't the prettiest solution.

ChiefTexas_82

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
If you want to play games, get another GPU. That card is FAR below the Starcraft 2 requirements. Even a GT 430 would be an big improvement for you. It's not a gaming card, but it sure beats the heck out of your card.

olvidada

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I understand it's not a great card, but I should still be able to play Half-Life 2...which came out about 7 years ago...on the lowest possible settings without lag...I should think.

If it's overheating, what can I do to fix it?

HWMonitor says my vid card is at about 104 degrees C (219 F). That seems pretty high to me, but I don't know much.

You can get a cheap 40mm fan to cool it. It is integrated with the NB on your board and is likely the hottest part in your machine but personally a cheap add in card is worth it for a few reasons knowing that most integrated graphics also share the system ram hindering performance there that has a small impact on applications.

5450 or gt430 will be great for you. Cheap tight pocket like me a 40mm fan and some screws will work but isn't the prettiest solution.

Solution
I can remember getting it for free ( HL2 ) with the Orange Box game. Had it's "tough" times on the hardware I was using then for some reason. 7 years old doesn't mean pushover. For you, the on board graphics can't play many games "good". Face the fact that you need to get a discreet graphics card.

104C is WAY too hot, that is your problem. check that the vid card fan is spinning. If it is spinning, clean any dust from it. If it is not spinning, you need a new fan or a new video card. Even the lowest end vid card available today 5450 or gt220 will still be MUCH better than what you currently have and shouldn't cost much at all.

IGP hello :pt1cable:

Geforce 9100 is integrated graphics

is it?? lol, well ok, then i dont know what the hell you could do to cool it down....more fans pointed at it. im not even sure how its playing starcraft II...... he should just get a dedicated vid card and be done with it. seriously a low end vid card would cost what a decent fan would cost anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.