How do i speed up my internet connection?

waryourpoet

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
how do i speed up my internet connection? Is it my provider? my wireless card? my computer? my computer is pinging on avg 3 mb/s, how do i get to 7 or 8? If you have any info on speeding up computer please help

Solution

Well, If you are currently subscribing to 3 mb/s internet (cable or DSL) that is the fastest you will possiblly go on the internet. However, you can increase your speed by calling your ISP and asking to upgrade your connection speed which WILL cost you more a month. Right now where I live Qwest has a deal with their 40 mb/s DSL for $19.99 a month for 6 months which is insanely fast.

If you are currently subscribed to a higher speed connection (greater than 3 mb/s) from your ISP then your computer, router, or modem...

cbviking

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Well, If you are currently subscribing to 3 mb/s internet (cable or DSL) that is the fastest you will possiblly go on the internet. However, you can increase your speed by calling your ISP and asking to upgrade your connection speed which WILL cost you more a month. Right now where I live Qwest has a deal with their 40 mb/s DSL for $19.99 a month for 6 months which is insanely fast.

If you are currently subscribed to a higher speed connection (greater than 3 mb/s) from your ISP then your computer, router, or modem may be to blame for the slow speeds.

First things first is to find out what connection speed you are currently subscribed to. You would have to call the ISP or look at a bill from your ISP to get that info.

Hope this helps! :)

Solution

macroproblem

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

WOW, what city/state is that in to get 40 mb AND for only 19.99 on top of that ? I pay 65 for only 12 mb

cbviking

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Twin Cities, Minnesota 40 mb/s ain't nothing compared to what I heard about a little while ago. Comcast is coming out with 105 mb/s internet! That's like 12 MB/s download speeds and you could prob DL a 5 GB file in like 10 mins! I have no idea how much they will decide to charge but that is crazy fast!

The Quest deal for 40 mb/s internet is only 19.99 for 6 months then it jumps up to like $80 - $90 a month I forget the actual number.