Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

System powers off when gaming

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 23, 2011 6:39:22 PM

Hey guys/girls, could rely use some help with an issue i have. I have a Home built system that unexpectedly shuts down at random times when playing SOME games. And when i say some its by no means higher spec'd games causing the issue. I have read a lot of articles stating that it could be a heat or power issue, I am using a stock cooler on an OC'd system which i will be replacing as soon as payday comes around, but i honestly dont think this is the cause. I have Core Temp running that is supposed to allert me if CPU temp reaches a critical level but its never done so, and AI suite recorded CPU at 63 degrees when it last randomly shut down. I dont have any GPU temp monitoring but the fans and exhaust are all clear of dust. I do not think its power related either as i have a 700w PSU wih a small LED that has live power consuption, this rearly exceeds 300w. The case has good ventelation, ive even moved it arund the room.

System specs are
AMD Phenom II X4 B60 3.3Ghz - OC'd to 3.7Ghz stock cooler
4GB corsair memory
ATI Radion 5870 GPU - OC'd to Core 900MHz Memory 1300MHz
2x Seagate 500GB HDDs
Lian Li case
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO Motherboard

I currently have these games installed i can play High to Max settings 1080 with no issues
Home Front
Fallout 3
Batman AA
Fifa 11
Dirt 3
NFS Shift II
Crysis

Thes games cause my machine to power off, sometimes after 2 mins, sometimes 10
Duke Nukem Forever
Crysis 2
Mass Effect 1

Starting to get annoying as i rely want to get through Mass Effect again..

If anyone has any ideas id rely appreciate it, need any more info just ask

Cheers

More about : system powers gaming

July 23, 2011 6:54:18 PM

I am positive that it is the cpu temperature causing your pc to shut down. Based on AMD spec, 55-70 C is the max temp. However, even though these are max temp, the motherboard is programmed in such a way that it will shut down 5-10C before reaching the max.

In my opiniong, 63C is really high. Even for my intel processor, PC Probe II (a program comes with the Asus motherboard) alerts me when my temp reaches 60C, and my cpu's max temp is 72.6C. So, probably something is wrong with your program.

Shouldn't your gpu comes with a program that can monitor your gpu temp? It should be on the driver disk that it comes with it.
July 23, 2011 7:12:21 PM

polke45 said:
I am positive that it is the cpu temperature causing your pc to shut down. Based on AMD spec, 55-70 C is the max temp. However, even though these are max temp, the motherboard is programmed in such a way that it will shut down 5-10C before reaching the max.

In my opiniong, 63C is really high. Even for my intel processor, PC Probe II (a program comes with the Asus motherboard) alerts me when my temp reaches 60C, and my cpu's max temp is 72.6C. So, probably something is wrong with your program.

Shouldn't your gpu comes with a program that can monitor your gpu temp? It should be on the driver disk that it comes with it.



Hi Polke45,

Thanks for your reply. If im honest i didnt realise 55-70C was max recommended, and as you say it might be the motherboard shutting down for safety. Ill check through the programme i have, mabe its set to allert me too high? I have Probe II, just checked and its set to allert me at 95c by default...... Thats crazy!! Ill change that to 60c. Going by what you have said a new CPU fan should do the trick, going for Arctic cooling freezer 7 Pro and some good Arctic Silver thermal paste, Ill admit i realise i shouldnt have an OC'd CPU on a stock cooler so no excuse there, just didnt think 63c was high!

My GPU does have CCC which monitors temps but unfortunatly does not record them and i cannot display the temps over a game so cannot monitor it. The GPU seems fine to be honest.

I cant believe Crysis or Batman AA doesnt push my CPU to high temps but MASS EFFECT 1 does....
Related resources
July 23, 2011 9:58:12 PM

No problem. Just so you know, with the current heat wave going on in America (or other countries in the world), my room heats up really fast (around 30C-40C). So, no matter how good of a fan based cpu cooler I have, the cpu won't be much cooler since it is blowing hot air into it.

Getting a new one at least is better than the stock cooler. Probably 10+C different, depending on the quality. Or you could always turn on the ac or get watercooling.
July 23, 2011 10:41:52 PM

63 degree celsius is actually not so high temperature for a CPU to run at. It shouldn't be the cause for crashing. As I remember AMD CPU temp regulators were usualy set to switch off at 80. And 80-90 degree C will not burn out the CPU.
But it's true that in these high environ. temperatures it's hard to keep system cool.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 23, 2011 11:02:52 PM

For checking your GPU temps under load. You can run Furmark in a window while monitoring your CPU temp in CCC. Note furmark will run your gpu harder than cyrsis.

Also monitor your +12 V rail to ensure your +12 V voltage is not dropping to low.

You can also run Prime 95 to checl voltages and temps. Not again this program will raise temps more than cyrsis, so monitor and cut off if to high.

Check BIOS settings in the Health page. It could have a "warning" and shut down point.
July 25, 2011 7:02:15 AM

what make model power supply do you have? Thats normally the cause if your cpu is not overheating.
July 25, 2011 11:04:08 AM

If I were you I would drop the overclock until you got the new cooler and see how it performs then, overclocking on a stock cooler is never a good idea and if you're having issues, the first thing to go should be the overclock. Reset your bios to default and try playing games etc, if it's still crashing then it's not your temps and you can eliminate that.
July 25, 2011 1:58:52 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
what make model power supply do you have? Thats normally the cause if your cpu is not overheating.


Hey mate, I have a Jeantech Storm 700w PSU. I dont think its a power issue but might be wrong, surely it would be a more regular fault with my machine?
July 25, 2011 2:03:14 PM

RetiredChief said:
For checking your GPU temps under load. You can run Furmark in a window while monitoring your CPU temp in CCC. Note furmark will run your gpu harder than cyrsis.

Also monitor your +12 V rail to ensure your +12 V voltage is not dropping to low.

You can also run Prime 95 to checl voltages and temps. Not again this program will raise temps more than cyrsis, so monitor and cut off if to high.

Check BIOS settings in the Health page. It could have a "warning" and shut down point.


I will check the BIOS when i get home from work. Whats the best wat to monitor the +12v rail, is there an application for the job? Prime 95 cases the system to shut off just like with the games, have mixed opinions on weather 63C CPU is the issue or not. And to be honest i would have no idea what would be good/bad when checking voltages on the PSU
a b B Homebuilt system
July 25, 2011 2:31:16 PM

I use CPUID HWMonitor (other "free" programs available)
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Specs for the 5 V and the 12 Volt rails are ± 5 %. Min for +5 is 4.75 and Min for the +12 V is 11.4 V (My self I use 11.6 V as a min). If voltages appear WAY out, for EX 3 volts for the +5 or <10 V V or > 14 V for the +12, this is a software problem so ignore - need to try a diff software monitoring program.
July 25, 2011 6:04:56 PM

RetiredChief said:
I use CPUID HWMonitor (other "free" programs available)
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Specs for the 5 V and the 12 Volt rails are ± 5 %. Min for +5 is 4.75 and Min for the +12 V is 11.4 V (My self I use 11.6 V as a min). If voltages appear WAY out, for EX 3 volts for the +5 or <10 V V or > 14 V for the +12, this is a software problem so ignore - need to try a diff software monitoring program.


Ok, so ive run a 10 min stress test using Kombustor and used the programme you advised to monitor Voltages. Whats your opinion? I will run another shortly and upload temps

This was at 1080 with 8x AA

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a b B Homebuilt system
July 25, 2011 9:19:25 PM

(1) vcore, Not sure for amd (High for Intel) might whant to google vcore max for your cpu.
(2) Based on the voltages I see it looks like HDMonitor is displaying correctly. I've never used Kombustor, always used Prime 95 and furmark. to load my systems. While your +12 V is above specs (11.4), it is getting close and as I indicated I use 11.6 as a Min and that with running furmark, and prime 95 (Not both at same time - LOL).

Myself, I would get a new PSU. A GOOD quality 550 ->650 W is by far better than a lower quality 700W. I'm quessing a little, but I would estimate your power at no more than 450 Watts when gaming. My I5-750 OCed to 3.2 with a 5770 (slightly OCed also) only draws about 300 -> 325 Watts. With 11.58 V under load the PSU could becoming close to goinging belly up. Sometimes when the PSU goes it also takes the MB, and/or CPU, and or other components with it to the graveyard. This is NOT to say it is causing your problems, although a good possibility.
July 25, 2011 11:06:27 PM

"I have a Jeantech Storm 700w PSU" < theres your problem. Buy no-name PSU's and you expect trouble
July 26, 2011 11:35:21 AM

RetiredChief said:
(1) vcore, Not sure for amd (High for Intel) might whant to google vcore max for your cpu.
(2) Based on the voltages I see it looks like HDMonitor is displaying correctly. I've never used Kombustor, always used Prime 95 and furmark. to load my systems. While your +12 V is above specs (11.4), it is getting close and as I indicated I use 11.6 as a Min and that with running furmark, and prime 95 (Not both at same time - LOL).

Myself, I would get a new PSU. A GOOD quality 550 ->650 W is by far better than a lower quality 700W. I'm quessing a little, but I would estimate your power at no more than 450 Watts when gaming. My I5-750 OCed to 3.2 with a 5770 (slightly OCed also) only draws about 300 -> 325 Watts. With 11.58 V under load the PSU could becoming close to goinging belly up. Sometimes when the PSU goes it also takes the MB, and/or CPU, and or other components with it to the graveyard. This is NOT to say it is causing your problems, although a good possibility.


iam2thecrowe said:
"I have a Jeantech Storm 700w PSU" < theres your problem. Buy no-name PSU's and you expect trouble


Ok final verdict, to try and resolve the issue Friday i will be getting Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler with Arctic silver 5 Premium paste, and either.....

Corsair TX 650W V2 ATX2.31 80 PLUS £67.98

Features
Conforms to the latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards,
backward compatible with the ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 standards
A dedicated single +12V rail offers simple configuration and maximum compatibility with the latest graphics cards and other components
An ultra-quiet, 140mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow with exceptionally low noise levels by varying fan speed in response to temperature
80 PLUS® Bronze certified, delivering up to 85% energy efficiency under real-world load conditions
Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) with PF value of 0.99
Universal AC input from 90~264V
Over-voltage, under-voltage, over-current, and short circuit protection provide maximum safety for your critical system components
High-quality Japanese capacitors provide uncompromised performance and reliability
A five year warranty and lifetime access to Corsair's legendary technical support and customer service

AC Input 90-264V ~ 50/60Hz
DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb
Max Load 30A 30A 53A 0.8A 3A
Max Combined Wattage 150W 636W 9.6W 15W
Total Power 650W


OR

Coolermaster GX 650W 80PLUS £54.98

Features
Compliance with the latest Intel standard ATX 12V V 2.31
Single 12V rail for most demanding SLI configurations
High efficiency design that meets 80plus requirements (85% typical)
Ultra-silent operation with intelligent 120mm fan speed control
Multiple protection design
High reliability
Huge bulk capacitor for hold time up >17ms at full loading
Integrated Active PFC with PWM
Efficient transformer
Five year warranty

AC Input 110-240V 6-10A 50/60Hz
DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V4 -12V +5Vsb
Max Load 25A 25A 52A 0.5A 2.5A
Max Combined Wattage 150W 150W 624W 6W 12.5W
Total Power 650W


rather save the tenner as im getting the CPU cooler and paste but if its worth the extra 10 quid for a much better PSU i wont complain.
Whats your final advice, its been much appreciated!
a b B Homebuilt system
July 26, 2011 2:42:39 PM

I'd spend the extra 10 quid. I prefer the Corsair line.
I think in this case it is backed up by:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/22/cooler_master...
Quote: " Like many other things today the DC Output Quality of the Cooler Master GX 650W is disappointing, and ugly" AND "So, had the GX 650W not been a total failure at load testing, it would have failed the DC Output Quality portion of today's review as these results just plain suck."

!