Graphics Card Issue with Rift

nameiswagner

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Hello, I recently began playing Rift and my current Nvidia 9800 GTX card wasn't cutting it. So I upgraded to a GTX 570, here's the exact one http://www.frys.com/product/6486032?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG. I have updated the drivers and what not as well. While running Ultra settings I am still only getting around 40 FPS while it's just me alone on the screen, and dipping into the low 20's when more characters / spell effects etc come into play. My rig's specs: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHZ, 4gb ram, and GTX 570, running Rift at 1920 x 1200 resolution on a 24" screen. I want to be able to run Rift on Ultra settings while maintaining an adequate FPS when other players and spell effects are on screen, as this is obviously a big part of playing an MMO. So my question is, should I be getting better frame rates with this card? I still have 29 days to return the video card, should I upgrade to a GTX 580? What should I do? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

nameiswagner

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I actually just tested it in World of Warcraft at the same resolution (1920 x 1200). With the video settings maxed and just myself in the screen I sat at about 60 FPS. However, when I went into a large battleground with many people and spell effects on screen, I still averaged around 40-50ish FPS, sometimes dipping as low as the high 30s / low 40s. This seems to be lower than what I would expect given this graphics card.

nameiswagner

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Great, thank you.

When I first built the PC few years ago I had the CPU overclocked to 3.8GHZ. Even with all the fans swapped out for more powerful ones it would continuously overheat and I would get the blue screen of death, so I just returned it to stock. I assume it was just overclocked too high. Do you recommend I overclock it (and if so, how much) or should I just get a new CPU (if so, which one for RIft)?

Thanks!

No one can tell you how much you can OC your CPU(depends on your motherboard,RAM and the settings you use in the BIOS) but of course the more it's better(don't push it too high though because of overheating problems)
Upgrading your CPU requires a new motherboard and RAM(if you're using DDR2 right now)