Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What cpu is AMD Phenom II X4 B97??

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 6:59:24 AM

this is the max upgrade i can do to a hp compaq pc i got at home, im thinking on putting a quad core in it and a nice gpu siince it already has 4gb of ddr3 ram, but i dont understand what cpu they mean when they say AMD Phenom II X4 B97.

im used to the normal phenoms like the 955, 970, 980, but i dont understand what the b97 means haha

the motherboard is am3, can i put any am3 quad core in it???? any 95w quad core am3 cpu in it??? the chipset is 785gx according to cpu z, and the cpu is am3 according to this program too

the pc model is HP Compaq 6005 pro MT, i want to upgrade it so i can have 3 gaming pc at home for lan parties haha

any help will be highly appreciated haha!!!! im used to build computers but got no idea with brand ones

More about : cpu amd phenom b97

a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 7:48:34 AM

The "B" gets added whan you unlock a core on the Phenoms. Looks like someone is trying to sell you an unlocked X3.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 7:50:17 AM

Herr_Koos said:
The "B" gets added whan you unlock a core on the Phenoms. Looks like someone is trying to sell you an unlocked X3.

just tell me which cpus the hp compaq 6005 pro mt supports haha, i dont understand
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 8:03:03 AM

I had a look at the website and I see what you mean. No idea why they changed the names, but the specifications seems to match up with the standard Athlon/Phenom models.

The 785G chipset should support any AM3 CPU, but I can't guarantee it will work since this is an OEM PC.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 8:04:50 AM

whats the difference with an oem model?? i have changed cpus in oem computers and had no problems, u think it will be different with this one??
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 8:55:25 AM

OEM motherboards tend to not play well with BIOS updates, so if the CPU you plan to add requires a BIOS update, you could run into trouble. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying there's a risk.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 9:53:51 AM

megagabobe1 said:
this is the max upgrade i can do to a hp compaq pc i got at home, im thinking on putting a quad core in it and a nice gpu siince it already has 4gb of ddr3 ram, but i dont understand what cpu they mean when they say AMD Phenom II X4 B97.

im used to the normal phenoms like the 955, 970, 980, but i dont understand what the b97 means haha

Its just the OEM version of the X4 955 rev c3. Its a 95 watt lock multiplier part.

Its the business class version of the 955. That's the "B".
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 9:59:50 AM

The AMD Phenom II X4 B97, is an OEM processor. Yes, they do manufacture models especially for Companies that Brand PC and sell them. They are built specifically since they are bulk orders. The B Stands for a Business Class Processor (Whatever that means). They are usually cheaper since they are sold without the HSF and the neat packing.

That particular processor has a TDP of 95W, so it is safe to assume that you can upgrade the CPU to any compatible model with the same or lesser TDP.

By compatible model I mean a CPU with a 938 Pins. Not the usual 939 Pin Models out there. Especially since the rig is a branded one, you could have that one pin socket closed, thus causing a new processor which maybe 939 pins to break or bend a pin.

Here's the list of Compatible Processors:
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor B97 (3.2 GHz, 8 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor B95 (3.0 GHz, 8 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor B93 (2.8 GHz, 8 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X3 Processor B77 (3.2 GHz, 7.5 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X3 Processor B75 (3.0 GHz, 7.5 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X3 Processor B73 (2.8 GHz, 7.5 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X2 Processor B57 (3.2 GHz, 7 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X2 Processor B55 (3.0 GHz, 7 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X2 Processor B53 (2.8 GHz, 7 MB total cache)
AMD Athlon II X4 Processor 630 (2.8 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor B26 (3.2 GHz, 7 MB total cache)
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor B24 (3.0 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor B22 (2.8 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor 220 (2.8 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache)
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor 215 (2.7 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache)
AMD Sempron Processor 145 (2.8 GHz, 1 MB total cache)
AMD Sempron Processor 140 (2.7 GHz, 1 MB total cache)
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 12:11:16 PM

^Interesting, did not know that...
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 5:29:10 PM

alyoshka said:
The AMD Phenom II X4 B97, is an OEM processor. Yes, they do manufacture models especially for Companies that Brand PC and sell them. They are built specifically since they are bulk orders. The B Stands for a Business Class Processor (Whatever that means). They are usually cheaper since they are sold without the HSF and the neat packing.

That particular processor has a TDP of 95W, so it is safe to assume that you can upgrade the CPU to any compatible model with the same or lesser TDP.

By compatible model I mean a CPU with a 938 Pins. Not the usual 939 Pin Models out there. Especially since the rig is a branded one, you could have that one pin socket closed, thus causing a new processor which maybe 939 pins to break or bend a pin.

Here's the list of Compatible Processors:
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor B97 (3.2 GHz, 8 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor B95 (3.0 GHz, 8 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor B93 (2.8 GHz, 8 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X3 Processor B77 (3.2 GHz, 7.5 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X3 Processor B75 (3.0 GHz, 7.5 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X3 Processor B73 (2.8 GHz, 7.5 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X2 Processor B57 (3.2 GHz, 7 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X2 Processor B55 (3.0 GHz, 7 MB total cache)
AMD Phenom II X2 Processor B53 (2.8 GHz, 7 MB total cache)
AMD Athlon II X4 Processor 630 (2.8 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor B26 (3.2 GHz, 7 MB total cache)
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor B24 (3.0 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor B22 (2.8 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor 220 (2.8 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache)
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor 215 (2.7 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache)
AMD Sempron Processor 145 (2.8 GHz, 1 MB total cache)
AMD Sempron Processor 140 (2.7 GHz, 1 MB total cache)

but could you give me a link on newegg or amazon for one of those quad cores or a compatible one??? thx for the info
Score
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2011 6:55:03 AM

You already have the best of this whole lot of processors the B97. The problem in finding one of these on Amazon or Newegg is that these are never sold as single pieces, you may find a few on ebay or some other site, but it's rare.
What you can do is post a pic of the socket in which your processor is already put, or confirm and tell us if it's a 938 pin or a 939 pin socket for sure. Then we could select a better processor if required for that mobo.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2011 5:29:55 PM

alyoshka said:
You already have the best of this whole lot of processors the B97. The problem in finding one of these on Amazon or Newegg is that these are never sold as single pieces, you may find a few on ebay or some other site, but it's rare.
What you can do is post a pic of the socket in which your processor is already put, or confirm and tell us if it's a 938 pin or a 939 pin socket for sure. Then we could select a better processor if required for that mobo.

i dont have the best, i have the first one of the list you mentioned, so how do i know which socket it is?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2011 1:16:24 AM

megagabobe1 said:
i dont have the best, i have the first one of the list you mentioned, so how do i know which socket it is?

Its socket AM3. It will also function in socket AM2+ and AM2 so long as the bios is updated to support it.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2011 3:03:48 AM

FALC0N said:
Its socket AM3. It will also function in socket AM2+ and AM2 so long as the bios is updated to support it.

so with that i can put any am3 cpu???
Score
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2011 3:25:39 AM

megagabobe1 said:
so with that i can put any am3 cpu???

Yes. As long as the motherboard manufacturer provided the updated bios.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2011 6:32:35 AM

megagabobe1 said:
do you think i need a bios update to use the athlon ii x4 630?? look at the supported cpus http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/12454-124...

The business series parts are pretty much the same as the desktop. If I remember correctly, AMD just guarantees business class parts are available for a predetermined number of years. Since most business are slow to upgrade. So they can be confident there will be new systems and replacement parts available, which is important in some fields. They also are higher binned for greater 24/7 stability if I remember correctly.

The architecture though is just standard Phenom II. Any 95 watt or less Phenom II part should be fine with the possible exception of the X6 Thuban parts.

What kind of CPU does it currently have?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2011 7:22:10 AM

FALC0N said:
The business series parts are pretty much the same as the desktop. If I remember correctly, AMD just guarantees business class parts are available for a predetermined number of years. Since most business are slow to upgrade. So they can be confident there will be new systems and replacement parts available, which is important in some fields. They also are higher binned for greater 24/7 stability if I remember correctly.

The architecture though is just standard Phenom II. Any 95 watt or less Phenom II part should be fine with the possible exception of the X6 Thuban parts.

athlon ii x2 215
Score
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2011 8:19:30 PM

FALC0N said:

forget the other two i mentioned, i found this 95w phenom ii http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... u think it will be ok?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2011 9:19:45 PM

megagabobe1 said:
forget the other two i mentioned, i found this 95w phenom ii http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... u think it will be ok?

It certainly should.

Remember, the phenom parts are derivatives of each other. The full part is 4 cores with 6 MB of L3 cache. The athlon X4 is the same part without the L3 cache. The X3 are phenom or athlon II with a disabled core. The X2 are Phenom or Athlon II with cores disabled or removed, depending upon model. Even the X6 is just a phenom with 2 extra cores.

Bios support is usually revision dependent more than model number. If your board supports a Phenom II X4 with a C3 revision, and yours does, then it should support any Phenom II part.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2011 9:41:29 PM

FALC0N said:
It certainly should.

Remember, the phenom parts are derivatives of each other. The full part is 4 cores with 6 MB of L3 cache. The athlon X4 is the same part without the L3 cache. The X3 are phenom or athlon II with a disabled core. The X2 are Phenom or Athlon II with cores disabled or removed, depending upon model. Even the X6 is just a phenom with 2 extra cores.

Bios support is usually revision dependent more than model number. If your board supports a Phenom II X4 with a C3 revision, and yours does, then it should support any Phenom II part.

so ur saying that i could install the phenom ii x4 840??? i choose this one because is the one that best matches the specs and its just $100 and i dont need a heatsink for it, the computer already has a nice one

but ur saying that i could install a phenom ii x4 that consumes 125w too?

srry for making too many question but i want to be sure man, and i really appreciate your help!!
Score
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2011 5:43:52 AM

megagabobe1 said:
so ur saying that i could install the phenom ii x4 840??? i choose this one because is the one that best matches the specs and its just $100 and i dont need a heatsink for it, the computer already has a nice one

but ur saying that i could install a phenom ii x4 that consumes 125w too?

srry for making too many question but i want to be sure man, and i really appreciate your help!!

The only issue with the wattage is the power regulation circuitry on the Motherboard. It WILL work with 125 watt parts as they are the same cpu design. But your motherboard might might start smoking one day or just fail prematurely if the power circuitry cant handle 125 watts.

But once again, the CPU parts themselves are really no different. Wattage increases with clock speed and voltage setting. Quality variations in the chips also result in slight variations in power usage from chip to chip.

Your board might support 125 watts, but I would try to stick with a 95 watt or less part since the quality of the power circuitry in that particular motherboard is an unknown.

I do want to emphasize, for full disclosure, that it is not a guarantee that these parts will work. It is highly likely and they SHOULD, but in situations where the board doesn't explicitly list the part as compatible, you never know with absolute certainty. Sometimes parts that should work together don't for no apparent reason.

But the risk is very small. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. And I think newegg has a 30 day return policy. So if by some 1 in 100 chance it doesn't work, you should be safe.

Score
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2011 4:15:59 PM

FALC0N said:
The only issue with the wattage is the power regulation circuitry on the Motherboard. It WILL work with 125 watt parts as they are the same cpu design. But your motherboard might might start smoking one day or just fail prematurely if the power circuitry cant handle 125 watts.

But once again, the CPU parts themselves are really no different. Wattage increases with clock speed and voltage setting. Quality variations in the chips also result in slight variations in power usage from chip to chip.

Your board might support 125 watts, but I would try to stick with a 95 watt or less part since the quality of the power circuitry in that particular motherboard is an unknown.

I do want to emphasize, for full disclosure, that it is not a guarantee that these parts will work. It is highly likely and they SHOULD, but in situations where the board doesn't explicitly list the part as compatible, you never know with absolute certainty. Sometimes parts that should work together don't for no apparent reason.

But the risk is very small. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. And I think newegg has a 30 day return policy. So if by some 1 in 100 chance it doesn't work, you should be safe.

thx bro, really appreciate you help
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 24, 2011 7:19:10 PM

megagabobe1 said:
thx bro, really appreciate you help

Your welcome. Let us know how it turns out.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2011 8:32:02 PM

FALC0N said:
Your welcome. Let us know how it turns out.

ill let you know
Score
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2011 8:51:33 PM

Best answer selected by megagabobe1.
Score
!