Solved

Upgrade Advice

I am currently using Sapphire 5750 1GB DDR5. It's a nice card for me, does what I want well. Though I am thinking for an upgrade. I am thinking of CrossFire, dual 5750. But I am not sure in performance increase as opposed to say, for an example, 6850.

I'm going to do some gaming on a 1280X1024 screen, and dual screen with another 23'' LCD. As a student I'll also be doing a lot of 3D Modelling stuff, and rendering.

My budget for now is around $160. Depending on the advice, I'll maybe increase of lower it.

Oh, and I am using CM 500W PSU.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade advice
  1. Best answer
    On 1280 x 1024 the HD5750 should be doing fine. When you add the other screen in the mix it is a different story. For your budget and PSU I would go with a HD6850.
  2. rolli59 said:
    On 1280 x 1024 the HD5750 should be doing fine. When you add the other screen in the mix it is a different story. For your budget and PSU I would go with a HD6850.

I usually play games on the 1280X1024 screen. I do work related stuff on the 1920 x 1080 screen. Will HD6850 give me a higher increase of performance compared to dual 5750?

I can go extra on budget, depending on the gain.
  3. I was not only looking at performance here but PSU as well the CM 500watt should be able to handle the HD6850 just fine but might struggle a bit with the 2x HD5750 which would probably give you more performance.
    Cooler Master PSU's are a little hit and miss in the quality department!
  4. The HD5750 really should do quite well at 1280x1024. If you are considering gaming on the higher res monitor then an upgrade would make more sense.
  5. rolli59 said:
    I was not only looking at performance here but PSU as well the CM 500watt should be able to handle the HD6850 just fine but might struggle a bit with the 2x HD5750 which would probably give you more performance.
    Cooler Master PSU's are a little hit and miss in the quality department!

Aha, I forgot about that.

After reading on what you've said, I checked the PSU and it looks like it lacks a power connector. Looks like CrossFire is not an option. Cooler Master products kinda 'rule' here. Not much of a choice. Recently there's Huntkey, Antec, Corsair, Gigabyte. The selection is not much and the price is quite expensive.

Do you have any suggestion to what PSU I should upgrade? I think I'll take up HD6850, and maybe CrossFire in the future.

Anonymous said:
    The HD5750 really should do quite well at 1280x1024. If you are considering gaming on the higher res monitor then an upgrade would make more sense.

I tried and the difference is like, Heaven and Earth.
  6. For a new PSU looking at the brands you mention then I would look for a Corsair or an Antec in the 650watt range bearing crossfire in mind.
  7. Best answer selected by servarus.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics