Room temperature > PC temps

iduhfuse

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Hey guys! So right now in my room, its 30C. I know, pretty freaking hot. Anyways, in my comp, nothing is above 45C when idling. (All fans at 100% except for psu and GFX) Now, when the fall comes and its nice and cool as well as the winter. Should I overclock my i3 530 from 3.4ghz as it will be able to take it??

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Well, there are several things to consider.

One being your method of cooling, are you still using the stock cooler that was provided with the CPU or have you chosen an after-market cooler?

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Before you consider over-clocking, you need to purchase a proper cooler.

Have a look at the following cooler, its a classic design that has proven quite reliable and very affordable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

A good air-cooler will keep your CPU closer to room temp, allowing for a higher amount of head-room while over-clocking.

Once you get proper cooling, then you should be good to go, as long as your mother-board is capable that is.

Just to be sure, would you mind posting your specs?

DoomsWord89 is correct, the stock HSF is NOT designed for OCing.

The stock HSF is @ the bottom of the totom pole for HSF.
My guess is that if you have a temp of 72 C with room @ 30 C when the room temp drops to 22 C, your load temps will be arround 60 C There is about a 1.5 ratio for ambient change to CPU change). Now you OC that 60 C is going to jump up close to 80 C.

Another factor to consider is that when you OC it is important to verify stability. To verify stabilty most use prime95. Prime95 will raise your temp more than normal Load so your cooling must be able to handle that work load.

DoomsWord89 choice is a good one for modest OC - cost vs performance.