Optimal config under 25K

vagabound_s

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Hello guys,

my 8 years old pc has given up. Hence I want to build a new one. my constraint 25K max and that too in divisions over three months. My main desire is that the PC should be upgradable to atleast 2 times its current capability, for example P4 to core2duo. I am not so much interested in Gaming, but I am very interested in video editing and HD movies.

I have done some research and here is the dilemma:
Best value for money mobo-cpu combo--AMD Phenom II X6 1090T - Gigabyte AM3 GA-890GPA-UD3H

However I also saw that i5-2500 is a very good CPU compared to amd X6, but motherboard to unleash its potential are very costly.

Here is what I already have i think I can reuse them:
Samsung 22"LCD
Sony DVD writer
Intex 2.1 speaker
Logitech MK360 mouse keyboard combo
160 GB ATA hard disk
300 gb external hd
AGP HD radon 4350 card

here are some of the feature I am looking for:
ESata
USB 3.0
OnBoard graphics to support HD 1080 movies-since I don't want to spend too much now, will see next year.
good performance for video recording

Can you guys guide as to what would be best configuration to take care of my immedate need(set up a workknig PC) and future need in next six month, a very powerful vedio editing and future ready PC

thanks

Solution
He meant 25,000 Indian Rs = 555$!

For That Much Money, In India(I am frm india),for best performance u can get
1 i5-2500K = 12,500 Rs
2 Asus p8p67 = 9,500 RS
3 4 GB DDR3 RAM = 1500 Rs
4 Antech 450W PSU = 1500 Rs

Save the remaining amount. Add up to it and buy a graphics card like Ati 6750/6770( 7000RS/8000Rs) later on! That will help you with video editing and HD movies and gaming also if u want to!

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
25K what? If it's 25000 US$, then you can build a lot of PCs for the money. Please specify the currency.

Pretty much every Sandy Bridge motherboard offers eSATA and USB3. For on-board graphics, you'll need H67 or Z68 (but be careful - not all Z68 motherboards support use of the on-board graphics). I don't know if the on-board graphics are suitable for video editing, but I'm sure you have investigated that.

You won't be able to re-use an AGP graphics card, because no Sandy Bridge motherboard has an AGP slot.

I wouldn't bother trying to reuse the 160GB ATA (assuming that you mean PATA) - all the Sandy Bridge motherboards are SATA. Besides you can get either much faster (SSD) or much larger (1TB+) instead.

Depending on your budget, I would consider installing a medium size SSD for boot and programs, and a second one for staging your video. You could not get a faster medium for holding your video than an SSD. However, if you are working on large amounts of video, perhaps Velociraptor drives might be better. Either way, work on the video, then move it off the PC and onto large magnetic storage - I'd suggest a NAS, for example.

Some people might recommend RAID 0 for video staging. I think it's a bad idea, because a single drive failure pretty much guarantees that you lose every single file on the RAID 0 volume. If you need speed, use an SSD instead.

he probably means south african dollars. 25k is roughly 2.5k in usd or 1.75k in gbp
if video editing is your thing then a 2600k with z68 and raid 0 or raid 10 is what you want. the z68 board has a nice little cache feature that helps speed up encoding but you do need raid to use it. this basic cpu setup should be the barebones for any video editing setup. with a choice of gfx after you have selected the basics
anything else would just be a comparative waste.
th x6 cores just dont stack up well often falling 1/3 short of the 2600k performance wise the 2500k doesnt support multithreading which can offer significant advantages in productivity apps. so again not really worth considdering.
both ati and nvidia offer on gpu encoding but as yet it doesnt work particularly well at least not for me. avivo really does have stringent limits. but as time goes by more 3rd party apps are supporting gpgpu processing... so with that in mind i would choose an nvidia card over an ati 1 (as i have an atio 1 and im not to impressed with its performance)

djabhi003

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
He meant 25,000 Indian Rs = 555$!

For That Much Money, In India(I am frm india),for best performance u can get
1 i5-2500K = 12,500 Rs
2 Asus p8p67 = 9,500 RS
3 4 GB DDR3 RAM = 1500 Rs
4 Antech 450W PSU = 1500 Rs

Save the remaining amount. Add up to it and buy a graphics card like Ati 6750/6770( 7000RS/8000Rs) later on! That will help you with video editing and HD movies and gaming also if u want to!

Solution

vagabound_s

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010

djabhi003 thanks for help!

Also did you suggest i5 over Phenom II X6 because you think it is more future ready?
However do you think 450 Watt PSU would be enough?
Also do you think my existing PATA HDD would be good enough for OS and I can buy new SATA for storage, or do you suggest vice-verca?

djabhi003

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I suggeseted i5-2500K (Be sure to get that model only) because it is many many times faster than a phenom x6! And Future proof too!

I know that phenom X6 has six cores, but it isnt the number of cores that matter! its the performance you get from each core and also the clock per cycle perfrmance too!

Do you know that most games developed today use 2 cores only.. so while runnung them, your cpu usage will be 50%!
Now only games coded for 4 cores will use the 4 cores.. such as GTA 4!

6 cores is used by Video Editors,Animation Software etc!

The i5-2500K will OVERCLOCK very well on that board! Which means you will get a very very fast computer! If you do not know overclocking, then use the guides available online(google it)!

REMEMBER the i5-2500K ... The K model is the one with an unlocked multiplier and will overclock very easily.. In india i5-2500 is also available and you can mistake it for the K version... So, The K is very important!

And About THe PSU, The Antech 450W PSU is actually underrated, which means it will produce a lote more wattage than 450W.. It is plenty for your system and a card which you will buy in the future!