Should I overclock GTX 460 1G myslef

xlzhsteven

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Should I just go and buy the superclock version of the GTX460 or buy the regular GTX460 (not SE) and overclock myself?

Definitely overclock yourself. Here is an excellent article that addresses heat and overclocking for a variety of GTX 460's. Here is what they say about the cooling and overclocking:

"Although the various graphics card manufacturers all take advantage of the significant overclocking margins available on the GeForce GTX 460, NVIDIA has made their task harder by developing a pretty efficient cooling system. Sure, they have an excellent basic product with which to work, but it isn’t easy to improve it to stand out from the competition"

"Also, we were able to ascertain that the overclocking potential isn’t any higher on the factory overclocked boards, which to a great extent fall within the margins you get on all the GeForce GTX 460s, which managed 800 MHz at the very least, against 675 MHz by default, namely a difference of almost 20%, which brings a very palpable gain in performance in practice.

The least expensive reference cards therefore still give very good value for money, as do the variants on offer from Club3D and Twintech which are very similar to them in every way. They pose no particular problem either in terms of noise or heat levels."

"For overclocking enthusiasts, we also advise a Gigabyte card. The GeForce GTX 460 SuperOverClock comes with significant factory overclocking, relatively well controlled noise levels and a power stage that stands up to high loads without flinching."
http://www.behardware.com/articles/809-1/roundup-14-geforce-gtx-460-1-gb-cards.html

My guess is that you do not own one and only quoted one source in your post.

To the OP I suggest that you read reviews posted by owners in the comment sections of online retailers in their product reviews for better advice than what he has posted. Gigabyte is not the best choice.

Efficient my ass, only for just the core.

Sorry, nforce, if you are going to make personal attacks, you need to show some evidence for your claims. It's all too easy for you to sit back and, like a broken record in almost every post you make, criticize the cooling systems of any number of video cards. For the sake of your own credibility, it's time to show us exactly from a reputable source what you mean. Your suggestion to read the comments section of online retailers vs. a review website is laughable at best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125333

http://www.behardware.com/articles/809-1/roundup-14-geforce-gtx-460-1-gb-cards.html

Just a little sample.

As a collector and usually wanting an upgrade over what I am using at any one time I do a lot of research before I make my next purchase. My current gtx 460 was the exception as I got it early on. A few months it went like any other except I found problems early on and made sure they wouldn't brick my card later on. There is usually enough cooling for the core on most gtx 460 out there however the vast majority were made with low quality parts to satisfy a short term demand and prop up falling sales. Without cooling for the power vrm and vram most do have a shorter life than cards that do have higher grade of quality or use much less power. Basically the gtx 460 is the performance of a gtx 280 with the avg power consumption of a gt200 series in a much smaller space without any cooler either than some limited air flow from the fan. Nvidia learned it's lesson and included a mid plate on the gtx 560ti.
In the round up article there is plenty there to begin off with while the reviews on the newegg link is more directed towards the op to avoid that card. Sure they run silent but they don't last. Most get about 3 months or so if they help up that is all unless only for casual use.

Gigabyte gtx 460, I have wrote two reviews under the name Debase on newegg,. I am not the only one that has had some limited problems with the fans but they are very cheaply made and fragile. The bearings often need to be cleaned and lubed to not make grinding noises to I removed that and used a vantec bay fan, temps dropped lol. The power vrm even with the stock cooler that is reference to this card still gets hot under load so I have done a back plate mode there and not have had any problems there. Vram gets rather toasty but not to ware it is as immediate as the power vrm.

Other brands are not much better and can be much worse such as Palit while MSI and Asus are some of the best choices regardless of cost.

I stopped reading that review when they mentioned using Furmark and OCCT to melt the cards, both of those programs are frowned upon by ATi and Nvidia as they put an unrealistic load on the card being tested. And my Palit cards are both still working by the way. :kaola:

You live in the UK and got better weather than us in the states. 40c heat in the summer months with nasty storms. :(

And what about everyone else who doesn't live in the States? There are many countries around the world that don't have the same weather as yours and for all those millions of people your criteria for what or who makes a good or bad card, is pointless.

Not really, it is fairly easy to cool a card with a room that is is 20c or less than 30c on up. I have owned enough cards to have known the difference. Down here in the states you either freeze or fry not in the middle unlike the UK and a few other lucky countries. Well any way my gtx 460 is in good shape after my recent mods that handle temps much more nicely now ;) I finally got a back plate and some extra thermal pads for mine and did away with the crappy stock fans now it idles in the 30c and barely hits 50c on load. The only time when it goes above that is when it is 30c or hotter outside or when I am pushing 900mhz on the core. You will find out in a few months unless you are not using yours daily for 8-12 hours or more daily.