RAM setup not working after new CPU???

techmatt

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hi,

Newbie here so be kind, I have a interesting problem about my RAM setup. I build a budget PC about 2 and half years ago with 2x 1GB Kingston Value DDR3 RAM, Gigabyte motherboard and AMD athlon II x3 CPU. About a year later I decided to add two more 1GB Kingston Value RAM sticks. The new sticks have same specs just a little shorter then older pair (new style or something). So this all worked fine for the next 1 year and a half.

This week I bought a new CPU (AMD phantom II x4). So I install the new CPU, started up windows, logged in then after a second or two (from seeing my wallpaper) it blue screened. So I did a memmory test and got around 1656 memory errors which is not good. So... I decide to take the RAM out so that there was only two sticks or RAM installed. This setup then passed the memmory test and Windows worked without blue screening YAY. :D

I then tried every single combination possible but found it always failed only when all the sticks where installed at once. :heink:

What I don't understand is why installing a new CPU would cause this problem when a very similar CPU worked flawlessly with 4x 1GB RAM setup? - unless there is another problem effecting it?

techmatt

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Note: in changing the CPU I managed to corrupt the BIOS, but I did flash the same BIOS and choose all the same settings as last time.