Sign in with
Your question

New Build Shutting Down and back On HELP!

Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2011 2:48:27 AM

My computer I just built with help from the tomshardware community is now really acting up. It will turn off randomly when I'm doing anything from browsing watching movies playing games or even when the computer is on idle. After it turns off it turns back on after 2 seconds and goes to the Windows Error Recovery screen with options to enter windows normally or in safe mode. I made sure I had all the current drivers and BIOS updates and windows updates. I'm absolutely stuck my specs can be found here as I am doing this on my phone its easier to link the specs. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=314087&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0"e_only=0&new=0&nojs=0 The hard drive is a 7200rpm 32mb cache 1tb barracuda keyboard is a wireless Logitech USB . And I did get a PCIe network adapter if needed I can list specifics on all of these. Thanks in advance this problem is getting really irritating.

More about : build shutting back

Related resources
July 24, 2011 1:53:36 PM

Guide finished. It is still shutting down. I dunno what else it could be. I did start making a log about a week ago as to when it was happening but its just so random. Most of those steps were the first things i had done which i shouldve addded in original post i triple checked all the connections and ram all of them are in working order.
July 24, 2011 2:14:07 PM

Power issue possibly. Can you test your PSU in a different computer or a different PSU in yours?
July 24, 2011 4:31:51 PM

My brother said he did that when he was at my house while I was at work. He's very good with computers so I believe he did it right.
July 25, 2011 8:35:59 AM

So when he did that did the PSU work? If so most likely a motherboard problem.
July 25, 2011 9:06:34 AM

Motherboard and psu are both good. Actually I switched over to a wired mouse and keyboard and ran a chkdsk and everything has been running fine. I just need to figure out how a keyboard and mouse could cause this problem. Just seems a lil rediculous lol.
July 25, 2011 11:59:59 PM

I don't think your problems are over. I highly doubt that switching over to wired mouse/keyboard should fix crashes. I think you should run Prime95 to see if you might be having any temperature problems (which I doubt, but wouldn't hurt. Run for at least an hour. More is better.). Doesn't hurt to test your system stability using any tests necessary. So you may want to run a memtest86+ and have it pass at least 7 tests. Also, try running Google Chrome, or any web browser that has tabs (or just open a ton of windows), and a few programs that use a bit of ram. Interact with the programs (ie. surf the web, load multiple web pages at once, play a game while doing other stuff.).

If you still don't get anymore crashes then I will be amazed.

If you still do get crashes, then I think it may be a memory problem (I just feel like it may be because I had memory problems with my new build and memtest86+ didn't detect errors on my ram. My computer kept setting the timings on my ram to something unstable because some of the settings were on auto. I had to manually set the timings to 9-9-9-24... It was ridiculous.).
July 26, 2011 12:37:43 PM

You are correct it didn't fix it. Weird that it made it better for awhile though. It seems to be happening when I'm in Mozilla Firefox playing a game on Facebook but is fine when I ran world of Warcraft and civilization5 at same time on Max settings what gives. My temps are fantastic I ran a program while I did the two games at once with music playing everything ran at or around 55c which ain't bad at all. I'm gonna try memtest when I can get a cd-r disc from my friend tonight. Any other ideas I mean this sucks I really wish it was just a driver problem as it seems that's what it is for mist people.
July 26, 2011 4:00:09 PM

buddynugget said:
Motherboard and psu are both good. Actually I switched over to a wired mouse and keyboard and ran a chkdsk and everything has been running fine. I just need to figure out how a keyboard and mouse could cause this problem. Just seems a lil rediculous lol.

Not sure if this will work but this sounds almost similar to the problem I faced when I moved about 2 years ago.

PC worked fine, moved, re-hooked everything and then shutdowns, sometimes randomly after startup and after running for a bit.

Problem turned out to be my keyboard, One of the metal prongs on the plug were bent. I Straightened it out and it fixed the problem.

I would check all your connections like that for bent prongs or w/e you call those things.
July 26, 2011 5:39:45 PM

Mrbumbum said:
Not sure if this will work but this sounds almost similar to the problem I faced when I moved about 2 years ago.

PC worked fine, moved, re-hooked everything and then shutdowns, sometimes randomly after startup and after running for a bit.

Problem turned out to be my keyboard, One of the metal prongs on the plug were bent. I Straightened it out and it fixed the problem.

I would check all your connections like that for bent prongs or w/e you call those things.

I'm going to quadroople check than haha I did a triple check on all inside connections. Its really bothering me I dropped 1450$ on this computer and I've only had it for a month.
July 27, 2011 12:05:12 AM

UPDATE: The computer is now shutting down while playing World of Warcraft. It is now seeming more and more like its when i play games i.e. flash games civilization v and world of warcraft. im going to try others out to see if the trend continues. and which memtest86+ dl do i use the zip ISO or binary im a intermediate computer user so i dont know a lot on this stuff.
August 6, 2011 9:29:54 PM

Memtest86+ shows the memory to be 100% fine. My next step is to switch out the PSU correct? I tested the graphics card with 3DMark11 and ran AIDA Extreme and my computer shut down but everything from my processor temps and graphics card are running at normal levels. Please someone help me out. I just need to know what else is left to test. My ideas are PSU first than if still a problem wiping everything and starting over and reinstalling windows 7 and if that doesent work ill be sending my MOBO back to manufacturer to have them send out a new one to me. Im praying to god that this is not a MOBO problem. Otherwise ill be without a computer for another 3-4 weeks and i cannot wait that long.
!