Explanation of Chip Labels

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 3:08:30 PM

Hi all

Sure I've seen this somewhere, but lost the link!

Can someone direct me to an explanation of chip labelling please?
My MD has asked me to look at the Thinkpad X40 for him.
This uses the Pentium M processor 1.4GHz and Centrino technology is
mentioned along with "select models".

Questions are:

How does a Pentium M 1.4GHz in a notebook compare to Pentium 4 3.2GHz in a
desktop?
Is there gubbins inside the box to make the M 1.4 as fast as the standard
3.2?
What is this Centrino bit and does it make significant difference?

TIA

Phil
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 3:08:31 PM

TheScullster wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Sure I've seen this somewhere, but lost the link!
>
> Can someone direct me to an explanation of chip labelling please?
> My MD has asked me to look at the Thinkpad X40 for him.
> This uses the Pentium M processor 1.4GHz and Centrino technology is
> mentioned along with "select models".
>
> Questions are:
>
> How does a Pentium M 1.4GHz in a notebook compare to Pentium 4 3.2GHz in a
> desktop?

Will be closer to a 2.8 for general use, for some tasks it will be much
slower. There may be a few on which it's faster as well.

> Is there gubbins inside the box to make the M 1.4 as fast as the standard
> 3.2?

Just a different processor design. The Pentium 3 clock speed wouldn't scale
to the levels that Intel wanted, but it got more done per clock
cycle--Intel upgraded the PIII with the additional instructions from the P4
and whatnot and tuned it for low power consumption and relabelled it
"Pentium M". So the Pentium M is just plain faster at the same clock
speed.

> What is this Centrino bit and does it make significant difference?

Brand name. If you use a Pentium M and certain specific Intel parts along
with it then you can call your machine a "Centrino". Doesn't make a lot of
difference as long as most of the parts are the same--generally a Pentium M
machine that is not labelled Centrino will be using a non-Intel wifi chip
but will otherwise be pretty much the same as a Centrino machine.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

TheScullster wrote:

| Hi all
|
| Sure I've seen this somewhere, but lost the link!
|
| Can someone direct me to an explanation of chip labelling please?
| My MD has asked me to look at the Thinkpad X40 for him.
| This uses the Pentium M processor 1.4GHz and Centrino technology is
| mentioned along with "select models".
|
| Questions are:
|
| How does a Pentium M 1.4GHz in a notebook compare to Pentium 4 3.2GHz
| in a desktop? Is there gubbins inside the box to make the M 1.4 as fast
as
| the standard 3.2? What is this Centrino bit and does it make significant
| difference?
|
| TIA
|
| Phil

Hi Phil -

John has given you a good "low-down" on the differences between Pentium 4
and Pentium M.

From the "horse's mouth" .. the components that make up the Centrino® mobile
technology:
http://www.intel.com/support/notebook/centrino/sb/cs-00...

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2005 12:57:35 PM

Thanks Jef and John

Just the info I needed

Phil
July 24, 2005 11:59:02 AM

Battery charge lasts much longer with Pentium M versus P4. (Plus the other
stuff that has been already pointed out)

!