[Motherboards][MSI][Biostar] Windows refuses to reinstall

Ryutso

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I suppose this could go in the Windows 7 forum as well, but I'll see where the mods want to put it.

I had a computer with this build:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz LGA 775
MSI P43 Neo-F LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Plus a 430W power supply and an old IDE CD ROM drive

That motherboard died on me after about 4 years, so I switched over to this motherboard:
BIOSTAR T41 HD LGA 775 Intel G41 ATX

I popped everything in place, plugged everything in and it booted to the Windows 7 splash screen (where the colored balls swirl into the flag), froze and then restarted by itself. I went in and disabled the auto restart so I could look at the error and it said that "A hardware change might have happened. Please try again."

Startup Recovery did nothing, Restore Point did nothing.

Googled around, found out I had to backup and wipe the drive, so I did. Backed everything up under linux and formatted it from within another Windows computer.

Threw it back together, put the Win7 CD in the CD drive to reinstall the OS and...nothing. The screen would flash and I'd get the "Press any key to boot from CD", the white progress bar would flash a couple times and then it would shut off on it's own.

I finally got the CD to boot with an external CD drive and I got to where it was installing to the drive, then it shut off by itself when I was away from the tower. After that I could not get it to even read the CD anymore.

I'm stymied right now and other than the motherboard being defective, I think I've exhausted all my options and I was hoping for some helpful tips.