Random Reboot... Anyone know anything about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebaslegrand

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hey guys! :)

Well I recently built a huge gaming rig and I am having a couple of technical difficulties with it...
First things first, I had a DPC Latency problem that I resolved yesterday after countless hours of research, thank god. I was about to ask you guys about it but never mind now! :D

Next up is a problem that really isn't one, but I don't think this is normal, and I'd like to fix it...

When I boot my computer up, my LED's turn on, my fans start spinning, I hear my hard drives turning, and after 4-5 seconds the computer shuts itself off (keep in my mind that is right after I turned it on). and then turns itself back on 3 seconds after and boots normally... I don't think this is normal, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to understand what could cause this...

I guess it has something to do with the power supply or power circuitry in the build, but I wouldn't know where to start with that... One thing I noticed though, is that the first boot, in those 4-5 first seconds, nothing shows up on my screen. it says "No Signal", then turns off, then on again, and then the bios screen shows up normally... :??:

Please help me solve this, as I guess this isn't really normal and I have a bad feeling this could cause trouble in the future.
Here are the specs of my build :

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17362265

Thanks for the replies guys! :bounce:

Solution

The AI Suite on my P8P67. On yours, these:
ASUS AI Suite II V1.02.03 Install Program for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
*ASUS Mobilink V1.00.49 for Windows Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
*ASUS Update V1.02.05 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
*ASUS BT GO! V1.00.36 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS DIGI+ VRM V1.00.28 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS EPU V1.02.10 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS FAN Xpert V1.00.46 for Windows...

nonnac7

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
This generally happens when I change my bios settings. I don't know if there is a fix, during those times were you messing around in the bios and then saved and exited?

Is it too late to return your psu?
No offense but it's not that great.
The rest of your gear is much better quality.
You can do alot better then a Raidmax for $120.

Straight from Jonny's mouth.

jonnyGURU02-04-2011, 10:49 AM
u would pay more for for a rosewill then xfx?

Not even a Rosewill, but a Raidmax. At least its an Andyson built Raidmax, but the Seasonic built XFX is still WAY better, even if its not as efficient.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not used the Asus Z68, but I do have experience with the P67 Deluxe. The mobo has a number of features designed to allow it to test and select stock memory settings as well as overclocking settings to a number of levels. BIOS decides when to run these tests , and runs them before proceding with the normal post process.

When it does, the system will perform exactly as you describe. In an overclocking situation, it may loop several times through the sequence you describe.

I personally had troubles like you describe for quite a while. Searching forums showed many folks had the same issue, or the same issue plus getting a message during post saying "OC has failed - press F1 to get into setup".

I no longer have the problem. Whether it took several BIOS's. or whether I had to get BIOS to understand that the settings I want loaded on this boot are exactly like last time . . . I can't tell you.

But what I would do is stabilize my BIOS settings, clear CMOS, save those settings, and store that BIOS as your backup BIOS assuming your mobo has that feature. IOW, get everything the same. And uninstall the Asus utilities that OC for a while. I always felt that those utilities, just being loaded during OS boot, were part of the problem.

Its worth trying to see if that solves your problem.

Sebaslegrand

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
@Davcon
It's not Windows, it's when I actually power-on my computer. Nothing to do with the OS since it doesn't even have time to show the BIOS screen before it shuts off. And it's not the monitor, the PC itself shuts off, the "No Signal" on the monitor is just an added detail, so it means maybe the computer doesn't get enough power to show something on screen and reboots, and then finds a way to get enough of it, just a hypothesis though.
Also, you said my PSU is of poor quality, care to provide any better items and maybe links on Newegg? I only buy my items there.

@Nonnac7
I didn'T really mess in my bios it did that the first time I turned it on after building it and has done it ever since...

@Twoboxer
Thanks for the feedback, I actually just got that "Overclocking failed press F1 to enter setup" message yesterday really randomly at boot, then restarted and everything went fine as it would have before... I was like :heink: But meh. My processor isn't overclocked, It's pretty good as it is for now, maybe in a couple of years when it gets older I'll overclock it, but it surely doesn'T have anything to do with overclocking... I'll try defaulting the settings in the bios, see if that helps, but I'm pretty sure it'll still do it, since it always did it even before I changed ANY setting in the bios in the first place. I've only had this computer for about a week and a half now.

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

Sounds like we've identified the issue then. As I said earlier, uninstall the Asus utilities and see if that fixes it. If not, clear cmos, load optimized deafults, make the adjustments you need, save, and also save it to backup, or whatever Asus calls it.

The only other thing that might stop it is to set memory voltage and timings manually. That might stop it from trying anything other than what you set.

Sebaslegrand

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Are you referring to Asus Utilities installed on my hard drive in my OS or in the BIOS? I'm not so sure as to what you are referring to...
And also, I'll have to check those timings but I guess they're fine, I'll compare them to the ones on the NewEgg page and see if they match.
Thanks!

Also, you said my PSU is of poor quality, care to provide any better items and maybe links on Newegg? I only buy my items there.

That's a shame, Newegg really!

Canadians in the know shop at Canadian retailers who don't charge outrageous shipping charges on every single item.
You would have saved probably $200 on shipping alone.
Just saying!
However it sounds like your issues are mobo related.
I wish you good luck in solving them.
Twoboxer is very knowledgeable.

I'd buy these psu's over a Raidmax anytime.
Antec Truepower New 750W - $99.99 CAD
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=36264&vpn=TP%2D750&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1208
XFX 850W PRO850W XXX Edition Single Rail
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=62223&vpn=P1850BNLG9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1208

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your psu i'll keep my opinions to myself next time.

The AI Suite on my P8P67. On yours, these:
ASUS AI Suite II V1.02.03 Install Program for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
*ASUS Mobilink V1.00.49 for Windows Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
*ASUS Update V1.02.05 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
*ASUS BT GO! V1.00.36 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS DIGI+ VRM V1.00.28 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS EPU V1.02.10 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS FAN Xpert V1.00.46 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
*ASUS MyLogo V1.01.20 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS Probe II V1.00.29 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS System Information V1.00.26 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS TurboV EVO V1.00.80 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.

The ones with the asterisk are not likely to be involved in any way. However, rather than pick and choose, and rather than trying to figure out if any of them are being loaded during Windows boot, I'd prefer to just uninstall them from the HD.

If/When we stop the false starts, they can be put back in small groups so - if one of them is the cause - it can be isolated.

As for memory timings: unless you changed the settings, BIOS will show "Auto". The point of manually setting the voltage/timings in BIOS is to STOP letting the mobo decide what settings to use. This may be the cause of the false starts.

Solution

Sebaslegrand

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
@Davcon
Umm... I paid 50$ of shipping for the complete computer, so I don't know what you're talking about with 200$ xD I bought the stuff on Newegg.ca not Newegg.com, so it ships from Vancouver by truck and if they don't have the item in stock they ship it from USA with no extra cost, which is what happened with my mouse and keyboard, they shipped from L.A. :p

@Twoboxer
It couldn't be that, because the reboot occurs as soon as I press the power button. Nothing comes on screen, all I hear is the computer starting (fans turning, hard disks turning, lights coming on) then the computer shuts off, as if I pressed the off button (lights turn off, fans stop turning, everything), then it re-starts by itself 2-3 seconds later and boots normally and just THEN do I get a picture on screen (BIOS screen)... So it couldn't be anything on the hard drive, as it happens even before system bios loads... :??:

Status
Not open for further replies.