Sign in with
Your question

Self build, stopped booting up. HELP!!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
July 17, 2012 4:05:17 AM

I am not sure rather or not I posted my problem here( must be getting old). If I have I am sorry for the duplicate post. If I have not, please read on and see if you can help. Maybe you know someone that can, please tell them about this post.

I have a self built ASRock P45TS-R mobo. with an Intel E8400 cpu. I had ereased the hard drive to install windows 7. I then restarted the computer. I did not boot up. Neither the mouse or keyboard have light and the keyboard will not respond. It is as if it were not plugged in. The boot process only goes as far as Dual-Channel Memory Mode. Then a error message reads MAC address are invalid in both COMS and Flash! Press F1 to Resume. I can not key anything in as I had said the keyboard will not respond. No lights come on in the front pannel. the fans turn on, including the cpu fan, but nothing else.

I did read the post someone else sent with links to get a fix because the one on ASRock's site does not work. I tried them but they do not work. Everything worked fine before and just incase I have tested every part from this computer in another. They all worked fine.

I have been putting computers together from 1989. Most of my experence has been in the hardware side, but as these virus s keep getting worse and more often I have been trouble shutting more and more. I have tried boot disks, and dos repair software but the drives don't work either. The mother board of course is out of warrenty.
Please!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone either tell me how to fix it or post the links to ones that are active. This is too good of a computer to loose.

Thank You
Terri

More about : build stopped booting

July 17, 2012 4:28:54 AM

Old Tech said:
I am not sure rather or not I posted my problem here( must be getting old). If I have I am sorry for the duplicate post. If I have not, please read on and see if you can help. Maybe you know someone that can, please tell them about this post.

I have a self built ASRock P45TS-R mobo. with an Intel E8400 cpu. I had ereased the hard drive to install windows 7. I then restarted the computer. I did not boot up. Neither the mouse or keyboard have light and the keyboard will not respond. It is as if it were not plugged in. The boot process only goes as far as Dual-Channel Memory Mode. Then a error message reads MAC address are invalid in both COMS and Flash! Press F1 to Resume. I can not key anything in as I had said the keyboard will not respond. No lights come on in the front pannel. the fans turn on, including the cpu fan, but nothing else.

I did read the post someone else sent with links to get a fix because the one on ASRock's site does not work. I tried them but they do not work. Everything worked fine before and just incase I have tested every part from this computer in another. They all worked fine.

I have been putting computers together from 1989. Most of my experence has been in the hardware side, but as these virus s keep getting worse and more often I have been trouble shutting more and more. I have tried boot disks, and dos repair software but the drives don't work either. The mother board of course is out of warrenty.
Please!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone either tell me how to fix it or post the links to ones that are active. This is too good of a computer to loose.

Thank You
Terri
m
l
a c 473 V Motherboard
July 17, 2012 5:07:24 AM

terri sounds like someone changed some bios settings on you. the message is the network card trying to be the first boot device..trying to boot from a network. i would power the pc down...pull the plug from the wall to let the mb drain and then use the clear cmos jumper. this should reset the bios back to factory default. when you get back into the bios change the boot order to cd-rom first if using a windows cd or usb stick if using a usb stick to restore windows. if clearing the cmos does not work..bere bone the system..uplug the cd-rom and hard drive..remove all the ram but one stick and any other cards. (other then the video card) and see if you can get the keyboard or mb to go into the bios...you may have to use an older ps2 keyboard or a non wireless one. another trick is to pick up a usb to sata/ide cable....plug the drive into another pc and run the windows install from a test bed or another pc and install all the files onto the drive then reconnect it.
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2012 6:34:43 AM

I have re read and re written my earlier post (sorry I didn't do it before). I am posting it because I believe it explains the problems much better the the first posts I made.

I have an ASRock P45TS-R mobo. with an Intel E8400 cpu. I had erased the hard drive to install windows 7. I was installing it not just to update the ops. I also know there was a problem with the CMOS and BIOS memory because a error message read; IEEE 1394 invalid in both the Memory and Grid. I had called ASRock and was told to flash the BIOS and the instructions to do what they said I needed to do. I downloaded the flash program from ASRock and copied to a floppy disk.

I started the computer but I had a whole new set of problems, It did not boot up. The lights on the mouse and keyboard do not come on, and the keyboard would not respond. It is as if they were not plugged in. The boot process stopped after Dual-Channel Memory Mode posted. and a new message appeared; MAC address are invalid in both the CMOS and Flash! Press F1 to Resume. I did find a post on another form after I posted that had a link to ASRock's site and downloaded a flash fix for the second message.

I now have the updated flash that ASRock had me download to fix the BIOS. I also have the flash fix to fix the second message. I am unsure as to what to do now Because the keyboard is non responsive I can not access the BIOS, the dvd drive or the floppy. I do know for a fact that no one got into my computers as I am the only one that works on them, and no one got on my computer remotely.

As I now have taken my time to go through this post I believe the only solution I have is to replace the board. Tell me what you guys know, or think about this. Thanks for reading and have a good one.

I am sorry about the earlier messy and multiple post, this is my first time addressing a forum but it won't be the last.

Terri

Old Tech
m
l
July 17, 2012 6:39:59 AM

The message about the network card trying to access the internet is there by default. I had cleared the COMS and that is why it came up. I cleared it because the keyboard was not responding I thought it might go to the BIOS without me pressing F2.
m
l
a c 473 V Motherboard
July 17, 2012 6:55:42 AM

are you useing a usb keyboard or one that wireless?? some keyboards can be used for pre posts some need drivers and wont respond till there in windows. if you can find an old cheap ps2 see if it works.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P45TS-R/?cat=Download&o=...
what was the rev of the bios when you started and what file did you load??
the right way to flash the bios would be from bios 1.0...then 1.1..then 1.2 till the last one. if you went from 1.1 to 1.6 then your missing the bios code changes. if the cd-rom or floppy light up..seaking. you may be able to force a bios flash back. some mb have it email the vendor tech help..sometime it holding a key down at power up.
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=119375.0
m
l
July 17, 2012 7:15:34 AM

I tried both. The computer stops posting before any drivers are loaded.

I was not able to do anything to the bios yet. I have booted this computer before and had no problem with it booting up. I had talked to ASRocks tech. and found out that when I had trouble before with the BIOS I had downloaded a program for the BIOS to fix and update. Because I have had a few strokes I sometimes get things confused and I had ereased the memory that the motherboard has in both the CMOS, and the BIOS. Because I did not use a flash program I did no harm, and I just needed to flash it. I have the right flash (ver. 1.5). I can not use the Windows ver. Thats why I can not use ver. 1.6. I have booted up this computer before and have had no trouble with it. Now that I am thinking about what happened in more detail there is one thing different than it was just after I ereased things is the hard drive. I needed that drive for another computer. I put on a used one that I have no idea if it works right or was erased. I just bought it. I will try a different hard drive and let you guys know how it goes.
m
l
!