I5 2500k consistent performance stutters

Asreal

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Hello,

I'm having a hard time distinguishing what is causing my computer to stutter when I am actively playing games or anything that uses A LOT of processing, you'll probably think that this is my machine doing this, and I have to fix this. However, this is not the case. My machine and processor click and check in when they are suppose to, and the response time is perfect for my processor. Instead, what is happening is that when I am playing a video game, my mouse will get stuck for a split second, then go back to normal. Causing the screen to tear.

I don't know what is causing this, I wan't a fluid stutter free computer experience, I know my computer can do this.

What is causing this struggle on my computer?
Is it a mouse problem?
Is it just a bad case of leaked memory?

Help would be gladly accepted.
Thank you!

P.S. This problem does not need a long list of computer components. But I will give you a run of the mill look into my machine.

The processor: i5 2500k Quad Core, 3.37GHZ
The Motherboard: Z68X-UD3H-B3
The Graphics Processor: SLI Gtx 580 x2
Operating System: Windows 7 64 BIT
My Ram: Over 4Gig's

Asreal

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
"my mouse will get stuck for a split second, then go back to normal. Causing the screen to tear. " This is just a fraction of the amount of stuttering and screen tearing I get on my machine, sometimes even games running at 60 FPS will get this problem, the problem also persists on older games.

Asreal

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
SLI could be the problem, I'll have to check into it. Thanks for your post!

Asreal

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
OKAY!
So following up on my analysis, I found that disabling SLI does in-deed decrease stuttering but it is still present, and when I turn V-sync ON, it increases it Ten Fold.

If you trace back, this isn't a performance issue, nor a game issue. As you see here.
Any advice?

( I tested this with Crysis 2, with lowest settings both with V-sync off and on)

i should add that this game runs perfectly on my machine, I have a solid stable FPS most of the time. -- The problem I am describing fit's in the with the notorious FPS spike drop everyone talks about. But this is only part of the problem, I believe it could be something internal, as the screen literally tears and for a brief second, pauses or get's stuck, then the game resumes and catches up, it happens quiet often... It's not serious but it really does take away from the experience because it happens so much