Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Thinking about upgrading to i5-2500k

Last response: in CPUs
October 21, 2011 7:53:03 PM

Afternoon! alright so im been debating whether i should upgrade or not here the situation. I have a i7-950 3.06 OC to 4 along with a MSI Big Bang-XPower LGA 1366 Intel X58 mobo (great mobo) the OC its done with the OC genie button (im not too bright to OC my self) anyways all the games run smooth with out a problem,you would ask me then why upgrade?! well i like to keep up with the PC tech etc etc dont judge... :p . I did a comparison between the i7950 and the i5-2500k and the 2500k kicks the 950 ass, so i need some opinion/advice, should i get the 2500k with the MSI Z68A-GD80 mobo? both of them together its only $438 pretty cheap, should i? thanks!!

oh yeah

i have windows 7 64 GTX 580 8gb ram :) 
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 8:07:27 PM

A lot of money for what is a fairly marginal upgrade. You have a pretty strong setup there. But if you have the money to blow and feel the burning desire to build that I feel from time to time, go for it.

Score
October 21, 2011 8:08:31 PM

Do it
Score
Related resources
October 21, 2011 8:10:03 PM

FALC0N said:
A lot of money for what is a fairly marginal upgrade. You have a pretty strong setup there. But if you have the money to blow and feel the burning desire to build that I feel from time to time, go for it.

Yea i get that itching feel to upgrade from time to time, but if you said is not a HUGE upgrade i dont think i would wanna upgrade, in your opinion is that the best mobo for the money? also good cpu?
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 8:18:59 PM

personally i would say your current setup is more than good enough to hold you out until ivybridge arrives

i have the upgrade bug as well but feel going from my current i7-920 at 4.2ghz to an 2500k isnt enough of

an improvement to justify the cost

if you dont have an ssd get one to further improve what you have and hold on a few months for ivy
October 21, 2011 8:30:11 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
personally i would say your current setup is more than good enough to hold you out until ivybridge arrives

i have the upgrade bug as well but feel going from my current i7-920 at 4.2ghz to an 2500k isnt enough of

an improvement to justify the cost

if you dont have an ssd get one to further improve what you have and hold on a few months for ivy

ahhh see i wasnt aware of the new ivybridge cpu coming out good thing you mentioned that i will hold off until then big help thanks!

I know i will sound like an idiot now but what is an SSD? and he purpose of it?
Score
October 21, 2011 8:31:47 PM

Best answer selected by sniper2606.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 8:48:39 PM

ssd--solid state hard drive

these are expensive compared to a mechanical drive--but no upgrade i have ever done has made as much

difference--not even going from 2ghz cpu to 4ghz and putting 12gb of ram in

i just put a mushkin 6gbs ssd 120gb in and everything flies--from loading windows to opening programs to

loading games--it was £131 on special offer so probably you could get a 3tb mechanical drive for that--but

i had 4 x mechanical drives in raid and this trashes them

even though my motherboard is only sata 2 ( 3gbs) until i get ivybridge the read and write speeds of the

ssd are 287mbs and 262mbs--thats because my motherboard cant go any faster--on a sata 3 board it will

do 550mbs read and 515mbs write--plus access times are severly fast well under 1ms compared to 9ms or so on mechanical drives

firefox for example used to take 3 to 4 seconds to open now its open as soon as i click it
Score
October 21, 2011 8:53:24 PM

mcnumpty23 said:

these are expensive compared to a mechanical drive--but no upgrade i have ever done has made as much

i just put a mushkin 6gbs ssd 120gb in and everything flies--from loading windows to opening programs to

loading games--it was £131 on special offer so probably you could get a 3tb mechanical drive for that--but

i had 4 x mechanical drives in raid and this trashes them

even though my motherboard is only sata 2 ( 3gbs) until i get ivybridge the read and write speeds of the

ssd are 287mbs and 262mbs--thats because my motherboard cant go any faster--on a sata 3 board it will

do 550mbs read and 515mbs write--plus access times are severly fast well under 1ms compared to 9ms or so on mechanical drives

firefox for example used to take 3 to 4 seconds to open now its open as soon as i click it

wow i was not aware of this SSD, i didnt explain at the beginning but the reason i wanted to upgrade is because of windows taking ages to load and firefox taking sometime 10 to 20 sec to load, but know i now why.... i should of asked that first, much appreciate it, i would probably buy 2 of them ssd not i gotta find a way to clone my old hard drive to this new one so i can take advantage of it, and my mobo has 6gb sata speed
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 9:10:59 PM

mcnumpty23 said:

Let not get carried away here SSD are fast but they are not better than doubling a processor speed. Might feel snappier at times though.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 9:13:08 PM

i would probably do a clean install on the ssd--i always prefer to do a clean install on a new drive as that

way you can get rid of all the rubbish you have accumulated

read some reviews on ssd drives--they have some on here--some of the sandforce 2 drives had issues but

the mushkin i got didnt as they held back on release to iron it all out

if you are in the uk this is where i got mine--its gone back up in price--but every week or so they drop it to

£131 or so

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Solid+State+D...

couple of tips--dont defragment an ssd--they dont need it and it can wear them out early

as they are quite small change the page file to 512mb and delete hyberfil.sys file--this only stops hibernating you can still use sleep--both these files are large and the more ram you have the larger they are--on my pc i saved 30gb doing this because i have 12gb ram

Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 9:13:45 PM

sniper2606 said:
wow i was not aware of this SSD, i didnt explain at the beginning but the reason i wanted to upgrade is because of windows taking ages to load and firefox taking sometime 10 to 20 sec to load, but know i now why.... i should of asked that first, much appreciate it, i would probably buy 2 of them ssd not i gotta find a way to clone my old hard drive to this new one so i can take advantage of it, and my mobo has 6gb sata speed

SSD are pretty expensive. They make great boot drives. Just store your data on a slave drive.

And that was a great suggestion, whoever made it. I think that is what he is really looking for.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 9:19:03 PM

if you are carefull you can get all your stuff on a 120gb ssd-i still have 50gb free even with huge games like rage installed--certainly use a second drive to store music and video etc but i always try to keep all my programs on the ssd

you can also disable system restore or lower the amount of space its allocated to gain a bit more space
Score
October 21, 2011 9:27:11 PM

FALC0N said:
SSD are pretty expensive. They make great boot drives. Just store your data on a slave drive.

And that was a great suggestion, whoever made it. I think that is what he is really looking for.

Yeah i think i will go with the Crucial M4 128gb read good reviews on it and not too expensive. i will of course have windows 7 installed on it and games, the rest on my old hard drive
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 9:28:28 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
if you are carefull you can get all your stuff on a 120gb ssd-i still have 50gb free even with huge games like rage installed--certainly use a second drive to store music and video etc but i always try to keep all my programs on the ssd

you can also disable system restore or lower the amount of space its allocated to gain a bit more space

I said data, not programs. Though programs obviously use data. You know what I mean.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 9:32:42 PM

wasnt sure actually--as some people do when using ssd drives load the programs onto a larger 2nd

mechanical drive--though i think that defeats the point of an ssd

either way wasnt having a pop at you :D 
Score
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 10:15:25 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
wasnt sure actually--as some people do when using ssd drives load the programs onto a larger 2nd

mechanical drive--though i think that defeats the point of an ssd

either way wasnt having a pop at you :D 

I know. I was trying to be silly. Didn't work as well as I envisioned it.

Your right. It doesn't make much sense to stick the programs on the data drive.
Score
October 24, 2011 6:02:26 PM

mcnumpty23 said:

couple of tips--dont defragment an ssd--they dont need it and it can wear them out early

as they are quite small change the page file to 512mb and delete hyberfil.sys file--this only stops hibernating you can still use sleep--both these files are large and the more ram you have the larger they are--on my pc i saved 30gb doing this because i have 12gb ram

Gotcha, quick question how would i do this? i would love to save 30gb lol i only bought the 128gb crucial m4 because prices on the SSD are stupid high...not to mention the PCI e ssd....good lord
Score
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2011 6:08:12 PM

sniper2606 said:
Gotcha, quick question how would i do this? i would love to save 30gb lol i only bought the 128gb crucial m4 because prices on the SSD are stupid high...not to mention the PCI e ssd....good lord

delete hyberfil.sys

Open a command prompt with administrative privileges.
Enter “powercfg.exe -h off” without the quote marks
Exit the command prompt

page file

Go to control panel>system and security>system
Click on advanced tab
In the performance section click on settings
Again click on Advanced > click on Change in the Virtual Memory section
Change the virtual memory [pagefile size]
restart your computer
Score
October 24, 2011 6:54:19 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
delete hyberfil.sys

Open a command prompt with administrative privileges.
Enter “powercfg.exe -h off” without the quote marks
Exit the command prompt

page file

Go to control panel>system and security>system
Click on advanced tab
In the performance section click on settings
Again click on Advanced > click on Change in the Virtual Memory section
Change the virtual memory [pagefile size]
restart your computer

And i will do this once i did the clean install on the new SSD correct? also i canceled the 128gb order, purchased the 256gb crucial m4 for $380 :)  and big thanks for your help!
Score
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2011 7:47:14 PM

yes once windows is installed--check free space before and after to see how much space you get back--the more ram you have the more space you get back

as i have 12gb of ram thats why i save so much space

you can also gain a bit of space with this--though its only about up to 1.5gb so you probably wont need to use this one since you got a larger ssd

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/122262-windows-7-s...
Score
October 24, 2011 8:23:48 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
yes once windows is installed--check free space before and after to see how much space you get back--the more ram you have the more space you get back

as i have 12gb of ram thats why i save so much space

you can also gain a bit of space with this--though its only about up to 1.5gb so you probably wont need to use this one since you got a larger ssd

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/122262-windows-7-s...

Good deal much appreciate it. Well 1.5gb is not much but with only 256gb its a lot haha
Score
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2011 9:04:13 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!