Would my phenom 8450 bottleneck an ati 6850

G

Would my phenom 8450 bottleneck ati 6850
8gb ddr2
600w psu
resolution 1680x950

G

So it will still be okay to buy one of these then?

I would consider buying a new processor before the GPU.You will see much higher FPS with a new processor than just a new GPU.Even with a higher resoultion that doesn't rely as much on CPU power that processor will still hold back the 6850.

G

would you recommend a 5770 as havnt got enough cash to spend on a new gpu and cpu?

What is the make/model of your Power Supply?

I think the 5770 wouldn't be held back as much as the 6850.Maybe you should try O.C.ing your processor a little more to lessen the bottlenck.
2.1ghz is quite slow, if you could get it up around 2.5ghz or more you shouldn't have any bottleneck same goes for the 6850.

G

my pcu is a fsp600-80gln
and have managed to overclock my cpu to 2.45ghz

Ok your PSU is good.
Can you O.C. any higher or are you at it's max?
I would say get the 6850 if you want.Although the CPU will bottleneck it at least you already have the card for when you upgrade everything else.

What types of games are you trying to play?

G

Yeah its at its max really as i havnt got a very good mobo for overclocking. Well im looking to just upgrade my geforce 9800gt so i can prepare to play better games in the future really i.e battlefield 3.

Well your definitly going to need a new processor for BF3.In fact if your upgrading from a 9800GT the 5770 is almost equal to it in performance and the 6850 is only a little faster than both but with your processor I don't think the 6850 would be any better than the 9800GT.
I think it would be best if you just saved up some money and upgrade all of it at the same time.AMD is supposed to be releasing it's new lineup of processor's in July so I suggest you wait until then to purchase anything.Prices are likely to drop for the 6xxx series GPU's and the current AMD processors.You've got plenty of time before BF3 comes out so save up your money.

G

Cool thanks for the help. I was thinking of getting amd phenom ii x 4 955. what ya think?

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I've got both the 5770 and the 6850. (along with a bunch of others). With your resolution 5770 will be fine cracking everything up. The 6850 will be overkill on anything less than 1680X1050.

The vast majority are but some but very rare samples were produced that are 65w and overclock much better than what was available in the normal retail market. The oems got most of them while a few got out as bare samples. I got a 8250e and it got to 2.7ghz with hardly a bump on the voltage but pushed the nb to the limit.